Watchtower Comments (5.26.08) PROPAGANDA & FALLACY

by V 64 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Open mind
    Open mind

Fantastic job as usual V!

Thank you SO much for all your hard work.

You've also given me a good idea for source material for a future "Family Study". (The June 22, 2000 Awake! article, "Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda".)

I'll bet whoever wrote that article has now been "reassigned"...

to North Dakota.

Thanks again,

om

• V
    V
    curlymoses wrote: Often when I raise a WTS question, comment, concern... with my wife lately, I've been getting "it's in/from the Bible" as a generic response.

This is the trick of the new "Study Edition" Watchtowers. The Governing Body can take advantage of the idea that Witnesses already know the doctrine and just hammer them with generalities. "It's in the Bible..." "It's in another Watchtower..." allows the Witness to swallow the propaganda without critical thinking. Symbiotic mind atrophy.

Open mind wrote: You've also given me a good idea for source material for a future "Family Study". (The June 22, 2000 Awake! article, "Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda".) I'll bet whoever wrote that article has now been "reassigned"...

I believe the Propaganda articles are actually political moves to gain legitamacy with unfavorable governments. 'See Bulgaria, we don't disfellowship for blood...' See, Georgia is lying about us being a propaganda cult...' 'See UN, we are a humanitarian NGO because even though you are the apocalyptic wild beast, we still tell about all the good things you are doing...'

Compare an older, similar propaganda series in the 1978 Awake! Much difference?

Awake! 8/22/1978 p. 3

Do Others Do Your Thinking?

Propaganda has power. Does it overpower you? Or do you have a mind of your own?

Education teaches you how to think. Propagandists tell you what to think. True educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists hammer hard on their view and discourage discussion. Many times their true motives are hidden. They sift the facts, tell the favorable ones and conceal the others. They distort and twist facts, specialize in lies and half-truths.

Awake! 6/22/2000 p. 9

Do Not Be a Victim of Propaganda!

There is a difference—a big difference—between education and propaganda. Education shows you how to think. Propaganda tells you what to think. Good educators present all sides of an issue and encourage discussion. Propagandists relentlessly force you to hear their view and discourage discussion. Often their real motives are not apparent. They sift the facts, exploiting the useful ones and concealing the others.

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

V,

On a scale of 1 to 10, you are "awesome".

B the X, big V fan

• song19
    song19

Thank you! All your videos are fantastic and we're always eagerly waiting for more! Great job!

• dawg
    dawg

I think whomever puts this out is a genius. I laughed my ass off as you totally destroyed the fallacious arguments of the WTBTS. All great comedy brings out the obvious; can you believe any of us ever fell for this? Great job V....

• 83501nwahs
    83501nwahs

Great job! Who's voice is that on the video? That's a real good voice - professional quality. There could be a career in broadcasting for that person. He sounds very credible.

• deaconbluez
    deaconbluez
    Great job! Who's voice is that on the video? That's a real good voice - professional quality. There could be a career in broadcasting for that person. He sounds very credible.

LOL thanks. That's me. I've been in radio for 14 years now, as well as the commercial voiceover business. Thanks again!

• V
    V

Adding a plug for deaconbluez. Thanks to him and the other voices you hear on Watchtower Comments.

• quietlyleaving
    quietlyleaving

thanks V, deaconsbluez - you guys are awesome

• Blueblades
    Blueblades

Thanks V and D. This one should be slipped in at the District Convention. I can see the elders rushing to find out where it came from.

Seriously, one of the best and insightful. It cannot be overturned by the writers at headquarters. They must be burying their heads in the sand. Who actually wrote this one? JR. Brown?

Blueblades

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit