Why would Hidden Window need such information?

by White Dove 26 Replies latest jw friends

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    We have to hide behind a screen, watch every step, be careful with what we tell family or friends.

Hi HW,

Not all of us hide.... I for one don't... and I feel better for it, and in my situation I am gaining more satisfactory results... I decided not to live a double life (JW/ exJW), so my wife and friends know that I don't consider myself a JW anymore.

And I don't play by their man-made rules anymore...

A@G

• Hiddenwindow
    Hiddenwindow

I am glad for you, Awakened. The they will come when I would be able to say the same thing.

• str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up
    str8?so is spaghetti..until you heat it up

Hi Hidden Window,

I am still wondering why you felt the need to start that thread? Why do you want to know who is/was an elder/ministerial servant?

I was a ministerial servant until last August if that helps?

:)

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

I'm left kinda wondering why THIS thread was started

The solution is simple really folks:

Excercise as much caution as YOU need to protect your identity.

If you don't trust or like HW's question or tone, don't reply!

• *summer*
    *summer*

Hidden Window asked a very simple question.

Each and everyone on this forum is "free" to reply or not.

What is wrong with this picture???

• asilentone
    asilentone

I think you are seriously overreacting here! HW will not get us in trouble. I trust him.

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

Im myself totally out so I dont have to watch over my shoulder any more but I sure do understand why people still have the paranoia. Im sure HW knows too as he himself is taking a risk posting here. Welcome HW by the way. :)

I think if the Society was bent on finding all of us they wouldnt have much trouble tracing our IP addresses or whatever to mete us out. Its like a giant paint ball game and everybody is shooting at everything that moves from both sides :)

chillax folks...98% of us arent looking to take anybody down and as for the other 2%? bring it!

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

This is a discussion forum. People can lie and create false personal information
    or they can just troll for the hell of it. People can ask all kinds of questions.

We need to stop being so accusatory toward others. If you are worried about
    being identified, then just don't post on threads that ask you to reveal some truth
    about yourself.

Otherwise, I agree that the actual request for elders and MS's to reply is not a good
    idea. Still, don't assume ill intent. Just don't post there.

There are several who are touchy here. Several are paranoid. We don't need to make
    rules against that, as if we could, but sometimes we just need to chill out and ignore
    the threads or accusations that we don't agree with. So that's what I will do, just
    ignore it.

• joebin
    joebin

Let me get this right. If a poster identifies himself as an elder (or any poster) it is possible for someone to find out who they are through their IP address? I thought that this site was giving out ramdom IP addresses to those logging in making it impossible to know who they are and where they're from unless they actually let it be known themselves.

Am I correct to assume we are not here anonymously?

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Let me get this right. If a poster identifies himself as an elder (or any poster) it is possible for someone to find out who they are through their IP address? I thought that this site was giving out ramdom IP addresses to those logging in making it impossible to know who they are and where they're from unless they actually let it be known themselves.

Am I correct to assume we are not here anonymously?

Joebin, the point is you're as anonymous as you want to be. If you start posting that you're an elder/MS/whatever in such-and-such a town/congregation or giving other personal details, posting family photos etc, it is easy for anyone to build a profile of exactly who you might be. IP addies are encrypted here (it's that jumble of letters/numbers to the left of posts) - that alone, even if the encryption could be decoded, isn't enough to identify your location - sometimes the IP could be that of your ISP server, not your own computer - the last time I checked my actual IP for example, it located me somewhere in Essex - that's a couple of hundred miles from Yorkshire! There are also 'dynamic' IP's which change regularly, and 'anonymising' programs you can use yourself, which can 'move' your computer to the other side of the world if you want!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit