Hi I'm new here - a bit about me

by Fishbulb 44 Replies latest jw experiences

• aimless
    aimless

welcome to the forums! my story is quite similiar to yours (except the gay thing... but i left and got a worldly boyfriend so you see lots of things in common ^-^) I can not imagine how ridiculously hard it must have been to add sexual orientation into the mix of ridiculous stressors brought on by those people. You must have been going out of your mind stressed somedays. I've dont the attending meetings alone bit as well and its very lonely... you never feel like you fit or your good enough... You are most welcome here ^-^

• Ruth Eeker
    Ruth Eeker

Welcome!

You'll find this board has many true loving people that will help you through these hard times, as many have been in the same boat as you.

Hugs to you,
    Ruth :)

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

I too had no family that were JWs but heard their message about the age of 15 and began attending the Kingdom Hall. Eventually I converted at the age of 17 because I was convince by an Elder that it was the right thing to do. At about the age of 23 I began to have serious doubts and eventually left the religion. I never had true friends in the JWs so leaving was not that difficult. My wife (whom I married a few years after joining the JWs) eventually left as well.

I'm glad you have found your way out of the JWs and have moved on with your life. Great to hear that you have a good relationship with your family.

• Velvetann
    Velvetann

Welcome Fishbulb

I felt so bad for what you had to go through when I read your story. You tried so hard to do the right thing and it shows you have a good heart.

You didn't deserve to be shunned, but in the end you will be better off without that self righteous religion

I too had problems getting my life partner(s) to understand how having been a JW affects you even after. You cannot get rid of the guilt, pain, fear and loss just like that. It takes years and sometimes never totally leaves you. I joined this group in January of this year, before that I still had nightmares of Armageddon and lived with guilt and fear even after being faded for 25 years. I had not seen what was on the internet until recently. This group is the best source of information and support for exjws in my opinion. You find out that you are not alone and that thousands of us have suffered at the hands of this religion.

My present partner in life knew I used to be a JW but he was of the opinion that you could just "forget" it and bury it. He said why do you talk about it and let it bother you. So I didn't talk to him about it much and let it smoulder inside me. We have been together 3 years now. Then I found this group and He was upset that I was spending so much time on this discussion group, thinking it was not good for me. I told him this was good for me and to be patient with me. Now I am telling him about what I am reading on here. He is getting to know everyone through me and to understand just how it affects people. he is a big Sci Fi fan and now he jokes with me that the JW religion is just like one of the shows he likes. I think its Stargate but he compares the JW elders to the Oari (spelling?). He got me watching the show and now I see how good a comparison it is. He now understands and it helps.

My point is, your partner may not understand what you are feeling right now about the JW's but he can come around to understanding it. I think like a few others have said that just relating others experiences to him once in a while will show him what a cult it is and that you are lucky to have come out of it.

Again I am glad you found this place and please keep us updated on how you are doing

Velvetann

• Fishbulb
    Fishbulb

LOL Yeah I wrote my experience at like 11:30 and was just kind of blurting it all out. After I posted it I re-read and was like "Fowl Swoop?!?!" It's fell. I went to try and edit it but the edit feature was not cooperating and I was too tired and simply prayed that there weren't any other English Majors out there. lololol You know, come to think of it, it was like a scene from The Birds. A big Fowl swoop. :)

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

Welcome Fishbulb!

• LunaFing
    LunaFing

Hi! And welcome to the board.

• Open mind
    Open mind

Welcome Fishbulb!

Great introduction.

I'm glad you made it out.

(Of the closet and the JWs)

I understand how you feel about voting. Kind of like a fish out of water?

Give it time like Gopher said.

I'm curious about this:

During which time I had experienced the "Truth", the truth about "The Truth", and had still tried to soldier on.

Do you still have any shreds of loyalty to the JWs? Or are you past that?

My long-time DFed older brother thought it was still "The Truth" when he came out and got DFed. It took him a couple years to realize the true nature of the JWs.

One last thing, care to explain your username?

OM

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Hi Fishbulb, and Welcome.

Like BFD suggests, there's suddenly a new batch of exgayjw's - maybe it's related to the increase in the memorial partakers...but how?

Inquiring minds do want to know about "fishbulb" - but it's also ok to be as mysterious as BFD, who assures us it's not what we think, and no one has been able to guess it yet that I'm aware of...

I started voting in 2000 or so. It was a big emotional hurdle, I thought it was important but I couldn't bring myself to do it for a while. I was registered for 5 years without voting. I still can't even contemplate knowingly eating blood (gut level clench)...but I think I'd rather live than forego a transfusion!

Welcome again, take your time with things, it'll be fine...

• atpeace
    atpeace

welcome! i've been out about 10 years and i only found this site in the last year or so. it has helped me so much to move on.

my husband who was raised as a jw, as i was, hates when i bring up things on this board. his personality though is to move on and forget it - i guess we all deal with things in our own way.

i registered to vote this year! it was hard for me - but then i thought - i get to choose if i want chocolate or vanilla ice cream, why can't i choose who will be in office making decisions that will affect me? and then i thought - the governing body votes on stuff that altered my whole life!

anyways.....welcome!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit