Why Do Atheists Return to Theism?

by B_Deserter 145 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    The Day of the Athiests: at least at JWD. Like most other trends around here, it will plass. In the 60's, we used to things like this a craze.

Theists fail to see they actually need a theism. When a theism passes, you will follow quickly after.

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

It wasn't really that long ago that atheists had to keep quiet about it for the sake unwanted reprisals and even to this day I know of certain areas in the States

that they are still being persecuted for their non-beliefs.

Very similar in ways to people that said they were gay, bigotry in a religious way

Ignorance is power for some folks.

• Gopher
    Gopher

FHN said:

the athiest/agnostics I've known don't tend to stay in disbelief. I am one who didn't remain so. If this offends you, you're too sensative.

The people I met at Minnesota Atheists would not back you up on this. Some of us are new, others have been non-believers for decades.

The Day of the Athiests: at least at JWD. Like most other trends around here, it will plass. In the 60's, we used to things like this a craze.

Like we picked atheism as the "idea du jour"? It isn't exactly popular in our society, although with the anonymity of this board it is safe to express one's viewpoint -- in this case the minority viewpoint of atheism.

I don't see atheism as a big fad sweeping the nation, like the 60's fads. It's still got too much stigma attached to it.

To answer the question raised in the original post, some return to theism because the stigma attached with atheism is heavy. It's kind of like how SOME DF'd ex-JW's return to the flock.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    As soon as I come across one of these things on my doorstep, or have someone stop me at the mall to give me one, I'll change my view on recruitment.

It's the 21st century, the blog post in th OP is the online version of realtime proselytization.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Theists fail to see they actually need a theism.

I don't.

When a theism passes, you will follow quickly after.

Doubt thats true.

BTS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    The people I met at Minnesota Atheists would not back you up on this. Some of us are new, others have been non-believers for decades.

It is very unrealistic of you to think that people don't change their mind.

I don't see atheism as a big fad sweeping the nation, like the 60's fads. It's still got too much stigma attached to it.

Since many atheists are happy to reduce belief in God to a psychological phenomenon, in the same spirit I I think it is a psychological phenomenon--in part! An epidemic of fatherlessness, an epidemic of Atheism.

BTS

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Wikipedia on theism:

The term is attested in English from 1678, and was probably coined to contrast with atheism, a term that is attested from ca. 1587 (see the etymology section of atheism for details).

No atheism, no theism and vice versa.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    No atheism, no theism and vice versa.

No hot, no cold?

Sneaky sneaky!

I am going to have to salt your fields!

Cartago delenda est.

BTS

• Gopher
    Gopher

BTS -- Nice try at logic-twisting!

It is very unrealistic of you to think that people don't change their mind

I never said people don't change their mind. FHN was arguing many/most atheists WOULD change their mind.

Obviously the people I met at Minnesota Atheists are still there because they're in the group that didn't change their mind.

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    An epidemic of fatherlessness, an epidemic of Atheism

?

If my father is dead, I'm fatherless.

If my father abandoned me, has shown no interest in my welfare, and has taken no responsibility for my wellbeing, I'm fatherless in another sense of the word.

If my father only has dealings a few of my siblings that he deems "special" enough to deserve his affections, I'm fatherless still.

Are you suggesting that God was a simply Cosmic Sperm Donor or a Deadbeat Deity?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit