Why Do Atheists Return to Theism?

by B_Deserter 145 Replies latest jw friends

• journey-on
    journey-on

This is an argument that can never be won. We continue to try because that's the way of people. We have the urge to prove something.

But, the fact of the matter is, some people think and solve problems algorithimically.

Others use more heuristic approaches to problem-solving. They tend to solve problems and search for answers

in a more non-linear fashion that transcends the ordinary step by step approach. People simply look at the universe

in one way or the other, and they will fall comfortably within that way of thinking that suits their mind's methods. If over

time, when their emotional trauma has subsided over the god/no god issue, they will settle into a way of thinking that fits them.

Some will always be atheists, and others will always believe in an Intelligent Higher Power. Some will flounder in between

until their emotional attachment to one or the other has subsided, then they will take a comfortable place on either side.

Also, another factor is the way people put things together. Some start with THE BIG PICTURE, then begin to take it apart

piece by piece to deduce their answer. Others begin with the pieces and put them together step by step to create THE BIG

PICTURE to find their answer. It's all in the way you put things together and take them apart. It's how you see the universe

in your own unique way. It's supposed to be this way. IMO, we are designed that way. Without opposing ideas and opposing

forces everything would be static. We would not strive to know anything. Nothing would progress toward whatever it is we are

progressing toward.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Good post Journey On. I just hope we can all be respectful to each other over subjects such as this one.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Someone enlightened enough to be atheist--becoming theist?

That is like the dog returning to its own vomit! A freshly bathed sow frolicking in the mud!

"They were among us, but they were not one of us."

They couldn't have been real atheists, now could they? A real atheist could never become a theist!

They have either become deluded, and even if they were experts in fields such as biology and evolutionary theory, they really couldn't have understood what they were talking about!

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

BTS, you are too funny! ;-)

• caliber
    caliber

"I fight against the drowning, knowing I can never go into the swamp of cynicism because if I do, I may never come out again. I'm not put together that way. I have children who are more precious to me than my life, and every molecule in me wants to promise them we'll get through this. We won't blow up the world before they get a crack at doing all the things grown-ups get to do in this howling hoot of a party: stand on your own two feet, get your heart broken, get over it, vote, drive a car, not drive a car, get dog-tired doing something that makes you proud, play the radio station you want, wear your heart on your sleeve, dance on the table, make a scene, be ridiculous, be amazing, be stronger than you knew, make a sacrifice that matters, find out what you're made of, cook a perfect meal, read a perfect book, kiss for an hour, fall in love for keeps, make love, make a baby, stand over your own naked child weeping for dread and wonder at the miracle." "God's Wife's Measuring Spoons", Small Wonder, Barbara Kingsolver

I too have seem this miracle right before my eyes several times over !

What greater ,more loving proof could He have shown you ?

Caliber

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Without opposing ideas and opposing forces everything would be static. We would not strive to know anything. Nothing would progress toward whatever it is we are progressing toward.

No theism without atheism.

No atheism without theism.

Panta rhei.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

That was beautiful, Caliber. Thank you for sharing.

And BTS, your tongue in cheek post made me smile. I wonder if they will get it.

• journey-on
    journey-on

No theism without atheism.

No atheism without theism.

No ---ism of any kind without an opposing ---ism.

For instance, take the account of Adam and Eve literally for the moment. Before God put the forbidden tree in their midst,

there was no ----ism. Up to this point there had not been a vibration of disobedience. There had been only obedience and

faithfulness. There was nothing to oppose. The minute the choice was made to oppose, a schism was created.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

JO: Always appreciate your posts.

As soon as another entity exists, difference may be inevitable.

Imagine there's no countries
    It isn't hard to do
    Nothing to kill or die for
    And no religion too

I've always wondered why Genesis doesn't talk about Adam and Eve (and their incestuous offspring!) building a KH. Can you imagine Adam as a PO? Eve giving a demonstration talk? Ooh, Cain giving the No. 2 Bible Reading! Oops - no Bible...I wonder why they didn't start one?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Remember, VO, difference in religious beliefs didn't enter the picture until the Tower of Babel, according to the WTBTS.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit