Why Do Atheists Return to Theism?

by B_Deserter 145 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    Why Do Atheists Return to Theism?

Probably the same reasons as why atheists return to the WT.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident

Sooo... I found some "better things to do with my time other than constantly discuss my disbelief" .....

For your perusal, I have compiled a selection of FHN quotes. I considered putting little comments after each one, pointing out the obvious, however, I trust the intelligence of my fellow JWD posters, both atheist and believer, and I do not "wonder if they will get it".

Cog

I just noticed on NVR's thread about atheism, that he launched it in a very respectful, rational, non argumentative way. He wasn't patronizing to any of us who don't share his views. I thanked him for that. I truly appreciate his way of expressing himself without calling others names or laughing at them.There are ways for believers and none believers to discuss these subjects with taste and respect. That's what most of us who have belief in a higher power would like to see: discussion without it degrading into disrespect.

...he/she probably has much better things to do with their time than to constantly discuss their disbelief.

And when you cross over, he'll probably apologize to you, too and tell you that it wasn't your fault you were born into such a mess.

And he will patiently and graciously answer them.

I speak up on these threads to the condescending tone of some athiests. The only reason I would recommend God to you is if sound confused and I think it might he might be comforting to you.

I still say most former JW's who find themselves atheists, won't stay antheists.

The Day of the Athiests: at least at JWD. Like most other trends around here, it will pass. In the 60's, we used to things like this a craze.

I said they are loud here on JWD in the past few months.

Humans are set apart from the animal kingdom in their inherent need for spirituality. Exept of course for those atheists who remain athiests throughout their lives.

I don't know about most atheists, but many or a significant number will drop the non belief.

I noted that your source for these statistics was a book written by atheists for atheists. Not a very reliable source.

Gopher, your last post made very little sense.

No, I am not implying that you aren't on the same plane as animals. How ridicoulous of you to read that into my comments. If I wasn't so tired, I'd probably be smiling at that one. Your statement defensive to the point of being ludicrous.

If you are insulted, you are inventing things to be insulted about. Is this also something you learned from the Minnesota Atheists?

Cog, your defense of using one biased resource, which gave a link, by the way, to pie chart I posted above, has gotten to the point of silly circular reasoning. The point is that you've made no point using the man as a source, except of course with a fellow atheist or two

I don't care if you want to go around using a source I showed you was not reliable. It isn't going to be credible with anyone but you and perhaps a handful of people who do not see that they need unbiased sources to prove this point.

Ms. McDucket, you are quite insulting and condescending

You're an atheist or agnostic, bully for you.

I'm disappointed in your childish responses. I had thought you more mannerly and gracious than those.

You say I am being smug. I guess since you can't hear or see me, so then you've decided I am being smug. I am telling you that I don't believe most of you will remain atheists. I don't feel smug about it at all. It's my feeling that you will return to theism because of my experience of many years of seeing people come and go from agnosticism or atheism. I've seen too many of these threads where the non believers come across in their own eyes as enlightened and speak to people who believe in a higher power as if they are idiots. And this same kind of spirit comes across in the threads that deal with evolution as well.

Just as I tire of my very fundamentalist Christian or JW relatives coming across as superior, I tire of the same from some atheists/agnostics here at JWD. And like it or not, something help you, you just might find yourself among those who do believe again one day. Nothing smug about it. Just a strong possiblity. And if that happens, I'm sure you won't appreciate thread after thread that treats you in a condescending way. I'm one who stands up for the underdog. And the way things have swung at JWD the past few months, believers have definitely become the underdog. And at the same time, treated like they are fundamentalist, evangelical christians for speaking up to you.

And BTS, your tongue in cheek post made me smile. I wonder if they will get it.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Well, gee, Cog, clearly you are right: your debate skills are far superior. I gladly bow out. I'm glad at least NVR gets the point.

• cognizant dissident
    cognizant dissident
    Well, gee, Cog, clearly you are right: your debate skills are far superior. I gladly bow out. I'm glad at least NVR gets the point

Yes, he does, but do you?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

CD, I said I'll bow out. You have the last word. That's clearly what you want. So, with no further ado...I'll let the few interested people hang on the edge of their seats for just that. Take care and no hard feelings. At least on my part.

• Galileo
    Galileo

Wow, I don't know where I was for this thread. I missed the whole thing because I assumed it was a thread about why atheists should return to theism. My mistake. I enjoyed B_Deserter's essay thoroughly. I haven't read all eight pages, but I did read Alvin Plantinga's article on page one. At first glance, I groaned, but then I felt bad for my knee jerk reaction and tried to give it an honest assessment, trying to find the important arguments made. After all, he is:

"the most important philosopher of religion now writing."

All I can say is, wow, my initial reaction was correct. Calling someone "the most important philosopher of religion" is like calling someone "the most important philosopher of my little ponies." If anything my initial gut reaction was too kind. That this guy is taken seriously is evidence of just how desperate religious people are to have someone, anyone, to point to as an intellectual on their side. He made no points, but boy did he use some phillosophical sounding words! It's like watching a chimp in a lab coat. "Isn't that cute?! He almost looks like a real scientist!" Burn, I'm surprised at you. I honestly thought more of you than this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit