by B_Deserter 145 Replies latest jw friends

• hamilcarr
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

It's a joke Hamilcarr.

BTS

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Small/narrow mindedness comes in a hue of belief systems. We all know that a few Chrisitans or Muslims can be quite narrow minded. Let's recognize here that atheists, evolutionists, buddhists, hindus, pagans and so on, all of them are human and yes some of them are very small minded and closed to any other ideas. Hypocrites come in a variety of shapes, sizes, colors and belief systems.

For sure they live in small worlds and can't understand that all of humanity is not like them; so therefore they are said to be "heathens" or something like that because they don't live in a small world.

Xenophobia- is a fear or contempt of that which is foreign or unknown, especially of strangers or foreign people. [1] It comes from the Greek words ????? (xenos), meaning "foreigner," "stranger," and f?ß?? (phobos), meaning "fear." The term is typically used to describe a fear or dislike of foreigners or of people significantly different from oneself.

Misogynist- hatred, dislike, or mistrust of women.

Ethonocentric - is the tendency to look at the world primarily from the perspective of one's own culture. Ethnocentrism often entails the belief that one's own race or ethnic group is the most important and/or that some or all aspects of its culture are superior to those of other groups. Within this ideology, individuals will judge other groups in relation to their own particular ethnic group or culture, especially with concern to language, behaviour, customs, and religion. These ethnic distinctions and sub-divisions serve to define each ethnicity's unique cultural identity.

Religious Intolerance - is either intolerance motivated by one's own religious beliefs or intolerance against another's religious beliefs or practices. It manifests both at a cultural level, but may also be a formal part of the dogma of particular religious groups.

The mere statement on the part of a religion that its own beliefs and practices are correct and any contrary beliefs incorrect does not in itself constitute intolerance. There are many cases throughout history of established religions tolerating other practices. Religious intolerance, rather, is when a group (a society, a religious group) specifically refuses to tolerate practices, persons or beliefs on religious grounds.

Religious intolerance may be purely religious, but can be a "cover story" for an underlying political or cultural motive.

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    Conformity Going along with one's peers, individuals of a person's own status, who have no special right to direct that person's behavior.
    Labeling theory An approach to deviance that attempts to explain why certain people are viewed as deviants while others engaging in the same behavior are not.
    Stereotypes Unreliable generalizations about all members of a group that do not recognize individual differences within the group.
  • beksbks
    beksbks

Well Burn,

Actually, some do. They may not go house to house like JWs, but they do use the Internet and different orgs.

If these aren't recruitment tracts, I don't know what are:

As soon as I come across one of these things on my doorstep, or have someone stop me at the mall to give me one, I'll change my view on recruitment.
  • Gregor
    Gregor

BTS - "Alvin Plantinga (and I apologize for the length):"

No need to apologize. I don't read your stupid spammed crap anyway.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

I am guessing that someone who claims to be without a belief in any gods and then goes to truly believe in one or any is confused and cannot truly classify themself as either atheist or theist.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Religious intolerance may be purely religious, but can be a "cover story" for an underlying political or cultural motive.

Worth repeating.

I see bumperstickers with atheists themes all the time. And there are countries like North Korea where instead of belief in God, the entire nation is forced to worship their leader. The USSR banned religion.

Beks, I still say most former JW's who find themselves atheists, won't stay antheists. Just personal observation over many years of life, that the athiest/agnostics I've known don't tend to stay in disbelief. I am one who didn't remain so. If this offends you, you're too sensative.

The Day of the Athiests: at least at JWD. Like most other trends around here, it will plass. In the 60's, we used to things like this a craze.

• beksbks
    beksbks

FHN, far from being offended, I am actually finding this humorous. It's been 20 years now, but if I change my mind, I'll look you up and see if you need a bible study

• journey-on
    journey-on
    I am actually finding this humorous

Yeah.....we're all hilarious, aren't we.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit