Bethelite: Elder burnout, R&F disillusionment led to book study change

by pseattle2 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

next time you are at a gathering Dagney,

Listen to the conversation.

Ever since the WT planted fear of apostasy, and discussion outside of the meetings of anything doctrinal-

How often do you hear people discussing anything on a deep level. Doctines are no longer shared and chewed over.

It is as if they can't or won't discuss things: either because they no longer really inderstand due to confusion, and too many rapid changes - or they fear being viewed as verging on apostasy.

For many of the old ones it is now just a big social club, which is why they will miss the BS most.

Ask yourself honestly:

HOW OFTEN OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS HAVE YOU HEARD PEOPLE SAY "Even if it isn't true, it's still the best way of life."

The book study is skipped by many, because they are seeing it for the delusional steaming pile it is, from the "I Love Lucy" book, to the "Climax "

HB.

• ssrriotsquad
    ssrriotsquad

All I can say is, if there are big problems at the top, it is surely to filter through the ranks to those at the bottom.

I can remember that several DC and CA were urging Brothers to reach out, but none were stepping up to the plate other then those who like doing butt licking, want to have prominence or part of an influencial family. These are the only new recruits that they are getting. As for the "genuine" elder material, they are getting few and far between now.

• Dagney
    Dagney

next time you are at a gathering Dagney,

Listen to the conversation

I'm sort of in a weird place. I do socialize with friends more on an intimate basis, I'm not really "gathering" invitable, being marked and all. I will tomorrow at a concert be spending personal time with my JWBF, the first since the BS announcement, so I know there will be frank discussion. She is on our page, but not one of us yet. She likes to know what I know and trusts me...I tell her to look it up herself.

Ever since the WT planted fear of apostasy, and discussion outside of the meetings of anything doctrinal-How often do you hear people discussing anything on a deep level. Doctines are no longer shared and chewed over. It is as if they can't or won't discuss things: either because they no longer really inderstand due to confusion, and too many rapid changes - or they fear being viewed as verging on apostasy.

I agree. I also think no one is completely sure what they are supposed to believe, or what has changed, unless you are vigilently looking at the subtleties in the verbiage.

HOW OFTEN OVER THE LAST FEW YEARS HAVE YOU HEARD PEOPLE SAY "Even if it isn't true, it's still the best way of life."

Well I used to say that, in the late 90's when we as a group commiserated over the issues with the org. I believed it too, just like others sincerely do today. Thankfully, I know better now. Thank-ful-ly. Phew.

I guess I just want everybody out of that crazy religion already.

However, this thread is encouraging, really. The consensus is there is trouble in paradise, disillusionment in the overseers and servants. What more could you want?

Thanks HB

• still_in74
    still_in74
    How often do you hear people discussing anything on a deep level. Doctines are no longer shared and chewed over.

I bring them up and I stir up shit... it may come back to bite me in the ass though.....

interstingly enough an elder has made a similar comment to this a couple times in that past few months. I wonder if his eyes are opening and he is struggling with his cognitive dissonance......

• wha happened?
    wha happened?

I just don't buy the taking some load off the elders excuse. The Society never gave a rats ass about what it's like for the average JW to survive in the outside world. I knew a few CO's who stepped down to take care of relatives. The first thing that hit them was how difficult it is to make a living, keep a household together and study/attend meetings.

The GB are so far removed from what the other 99% have to endure and u can tell this to be so by the articles written. Anyone who seeks a better paying job or education to provide a better life for their family/kids are automatically branded as materialistic.

Somewhere in the background is a legal reason for ending this meeting. It will eventually come out.

• pseattle2
    pseattle2
    pseattle2 should have acknowledged his other sources. It's nice to get this info repeated but shame on you for not doing that. Otherwise people will not bother coming on here and posting their inside scoops. It's not about egos Burn the ships. Bud2114 had every right to complain.

It's not my blog, just one of the blogs I frequent. I posted it here because I found the blog entry unusual and interesting, but it's not my blog. (Nor did I claim it to be.)

It was absolutely not my intention to make people believe I had written that post; I just wanted to share the item and open discussion about it. I reposted the blog URL at the top of the entry, but should been clearer about where it was coming from. Apologies for the confusion.

--P

• avengers
    avengers
    The powers-that-be know that without willing elders & servants this organization is truly doomed

Lets throw one super big party. yeah!

• monophonic
    monophonic

and throw in a few horrid disasters that have just happened and it'll probably bring some inactives back 'in', since 'it's the end'.

how i hate the 'disgusting thing' called the wtbts.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    Problem is, I haven't seen it actually happening in reality.

Each area is going to be different, I think Africa and Asia are still growing at a huge rate where the US and the western world is standing still? According to my brother, at his congregation in ne England 3 or 4 elders have stood down in the last year. I know most of them, and just 5 years ago I thought they were heading out the door with me nevermind being elder material!

There was a similar situation to this in bible times, where the people were unsure about how to do something. They came up with a solution which they thought was the best way to do it given the circumstances, similar to what people say now about the jw's that its the nearest thing top what god wants that we have. This wasn't acceptable to Jehovah though, and he put one of them to death over it ( 2Sa 6:3-8). Next time a jw says that remind them of that story.

Paul

• mouthy
    mouthy

Paul so good to see you. Hope all is well

( sorry to interupt the post folks)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit