Bethelite: Elder burnout, R&F disillusionment led to book study change

by pseattle2 61 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pseattle2
    pseattle2

Please visit the blog: http://governingbodyletters.blogspot.com/2008/05/bethelites-viewpoint-on-recent.html

A Bethelite's Viewpoint on the Recent Organization Changes

To me the most obvious reason has nothing to do with control, or money. It has everything to do with the serious shortage of qualified brothers who can (or who are willing to) be used. I have been involved in the organzation for 40 yrs and I have never seen the level of apathy and disillusionment among those serving in some capacity in this organization. There are three main reasons for this: 1) burnout, 2) lack of urgency/belief that the GT or armaggedon is near, and 3) steady erosion of faith in the organization.

Burnout is rampant within the ranks of the servant bodies worldwide as fewer and fewer brothers are willing to serve and make the extraordinary sacrifices asked of them by the organization. Elders and servants are "stepping down" at an unprecedented rate. Finding a willing replacement has become next to impossible leaving those few loyal brothers completely overwhelmed as they struggle to handle all the congregation responsibilities which, of course, include conducting bookstudies and giving public talks. This has been a growing trend within the organization for some time, but it has all of the sudden become especially pronounced and is nearing crisis proportions.

The other issue is that more and more of those serving are realizing that the Armaggedon may not be as close as it was once thought and any sense of urgency has waned considerably. The "generation" definition change in 1995 was the first real "alert" that something was amiss. Then you add in that the number of memorial partakers has actually increased (9,105 in 2007 compared to 9,081 in 1984), plus the recent change in the understanding of the "sealing" of the annointed (thought to have been completed in the 1930's, but apparently is not yet completed). What has happened is that in the minds of many serving, the "end" is suddenly a ways off in the distance somewhere. Less and less of those serving believe that it will happen in their lifetime and they had better do something to prepare themselves for a longer stay in this system.

Finally, more and more of those serving are wising up to the cultish ways of organization and they are no longer just accepting things and "waiting on Jehovah." In the past, the organization could successfully overcome any credibility issues due to failed prophesies or waffeling doctrines by writing a WT article or Question from Readers and it was just accepted. There was no discussion, no forum to question or examine what was printed, and of course, who had the time or the resources anyway. This is not the case now, however. The internet has changed everything. Anything about the organization can and is being discussed and not just anonymously online. These discussions are being carried back to the congregations, in field service car groups, and as a result the organization has (and continues to suffer) a tremendous loss of credibility among even those serving. The pedophile coverup and the scandalous UN association is becoming more widely known everyday. The legal and money problems of the WTBS, the blood issue, disfellowshipping, and other non-scriptural mandates of the organization are being questioned and being discussed.

The powers-that-be know that without willing elders & servants this organization is truly doomed. So, don't read into the "high price of gas" or the "we know that families are struggling and we want to add no further burden" horsesh*t expanation for these changes. And it ain't about control or money per se. Make no mistake, it's all about trying to stop the mass exodus of servants who are either burnout, disillusioned, and/or have lost the faith. Why do you think they have invited all the elders to the "pump me up" sessions in Patterson?

Expect more changes to come and soon. This is just the beginning - trust me.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I think this is a nice observation, and I agree with it. Problem is, I haven't seen it actually happening in reality. I have always felt the R & F mean nothing to the corporation; if there is going to be any impact, it will have to be from losing elders and servants, and a drop in reg pios/fulltime service.

I've been out for several years now, and aside from a few people around me, all of my JW friends and relatives are going strong. They grumble about the same things talked about here, and have been for years. But they have made no moves to disengage. In fact some who complained about the pioneer/publisher distinction in the past are now pioneering.

I hope what this observer says is true. I do think the elders especially have a tough workload, if they do it according to the WBTS guidelines. I just have not seen any step away except for a one, then I know another just appointed. I guess we will never really know; those stats will never be available.

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

My family is also 'going strong'....or, at least, that's the bullcrap line they always put forth towards me. Skeeter

• Dagney
    Dagney

(Still thinking about this.)

I went to the hall about 3 weeks ago to hear a friend's talk. The hall was packed, through the second school. I do know several who have cut down on meetings, one hasn't gone to the bookstudy since the regurgitation of the "Climax" book. But they steadfastly claim the WBTS is directed by God (just said last week.)

As far as seeing the org as "cultish," I hear that a bit. But the crack down on anything internet has put a stop to almost all of the free discussion boards that used to be hosted by JW's, that I know of anyway. The society is very clear all independent thinking is to be crushed...I don't see many wanting to challenge them on it. The cost is too high. So then they just pray for the end to come.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

The society is very clear all independent thinking is to be crushed...I don't see many wanting to challenge them on it.

The leak in the dike will become a gusher--they can't plug holes forever....the monolith will crash.

Great post, thanks.

Alex

• leftbelow
    leftbelow

Burnout is a issue. But in my case it was a combination of events first the child abuse issue (which hit way to close to home) then doing some "real" research on 607 b.c.e.

I knew something was wrong for years but just chalked up to isolated incidents. It wasn't until I steped down I realized how burned out I was (regularly having 2 parts on Thursday and a Public talk a month).

When your in all the way you are to busy to see how much they are taking from you. That is one reason I think this move could back fire on them because it will give some a moment for pause

to realize how much is being taken from them.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

This is exactly how I feel. You have proved my own speculations and ideas about why these changes have come.

One thing that I remember is a few years back a a district convention a C.O. talking about how they needed '40,000 qualified men' to fill positions of Elder and MS in the congregations. I knew something was up when I heard that.

• Gayle
    Gayle

But the crack down on anything internet has put a stop to almost all of the free discussion boards that used to be hosted by JW's, that I know of anyway. The society is very clear all independent thinking is to be crushed...I don't see many wanting to challenge them on it. The cost is too high.

Maybe 'free discussion' they felt they could do before and see it is not allowed now, but that doesn't mean they aren't "churning" inside. I remember that stage, it doesn't usually go away but will eventually become impossible to 'stuff.' It can be like a volcano erupting for individuals and surface (for some just smoke/ash, or others like slow flow of lava and sometimes explosive-relatively quickly).

• Billy the Ex-Bethelite
    Billy the Ex-Bethelite

Thanks pseattle2 ! And I agree with the explanation. It is much more evident in some places than others.

Two shrinking nearby congregations were merged recently. For a while, it looked like they were doing great as one big merged congregation. Now the cracks are appearing. It is shrinking and the elders workloads are getting worse. No new ones are looking to step up to help. Who wants to be 'privileged' with more work as an unpaid clergy?

The book study change may help, but only briefly. The problems in the bOrg run deep. They are so glad that millions are so blindly devout... for now.

B the X

• DaCheech
    DaCheech
    Expect more changes to come and soon. This is just the beginning - trust me.

NOT according to the sunday speaker at my hall, and he KNOWS!

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/10/158180/1.ashx

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit