IF gas prices go to $10, and these major disasters continue......

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Gordy
    Gordy

What do you mean IF gas prices go to $10 ....... Here in UK we nearly paying that now.

You Americans are paying for a Gallon, near enough what we pay for a Litre.

And you think you are hard done by

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

It is point taken Gordy. But there are major differences here in the US.

Firstly, our transit systems [outside of any major city] are practically non-existent. Our cities are suburban sprawls, not tight. And our country is about 3000 miles wide and 2000 deep.

Jeff

• Gordy
    Gordy

Understood Jeff

But out of 30 -OECD countries the USA still comes 29th in price for petrol. Whereas the UK is 5th paying about 70% more per litre than USA.

But if we remove the taxation on the price for all 30 countries the price is basically the same , give or take a couple of cents. .

It is the tax placed on petrol that makes the difference overall.

Roughly in UK for every $10 we pay for a gallon - $8 is tax.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I remember reading years ago that when there gets to be a lot of people, people stop believing in God.

Then the people get wiped out, When there are fewer people they return to God.

This is a cycle.

But more specifically to your point. The bible has hard, difficult criticall times covered in the new testament. When ever times get tough they will bring the 24 chapter of Matthew up. And fill up all the seats.

So I see 2 possiblities, Thats the way God wants it.

Or the Jew's are great con men.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I don't see the big deal, really, we're just entering another phase of civilization.

Think about it, just one generation ago my grandfather was born in a clapboard shack on the prairies into what we would now consider third-world poverty. Likewise, my oldest uncle had to start a woodfire in the mornings during the winter so they could thaw enough water to bathe before walking to school. We're talking full-on Grapes of Wrath stuff.

I am 55, I remember My mother was born in the city of Atlanta in a clapboard shack no water or electricity, chickens and roosters running through the yard. she told me she was so poor she ate dirt. I saw her brothers and sisters eat mustard and ketchup sandwiches. I saw that shack when I was growing up.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

If it hits 10 anytime soon, your last worry will be religion. It will cripple the global economy and life as we know it today will quickly become a memory.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

And you think you are hard done by

Smurf, darling. England is the size of Alabama. One of our 50 states. Do you have any idea how large the USA is and the distances we have to travel to work, the grocery, almost anywhere? Do you also understand very few areas have Rapid Transit or commuter trains?

Also, everything else is so expensive that these higher gas prices are the back breaker. They have caused the prices of everything to go up. And need you be reminded that we do not have national healthcare, yet when you count up all the taxes we pay, including sales tax, income tax on federal, state, city and county levels and then taxes on other products, we pay 50% of our incomes to taxes, but do not get free health care? I am uninsured. One trip to the hospital could put me into debt into the thousands of dollars.

Yes, we are hard done by. And when gas gets that high here, it will grind things to a halt economically. It will affect you and the rest of the world. The dominoes will fall in every direction.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Here's a little math for you. My car holds 15 gallons of gas. It would cost me $150 per tank. When I was commuting 15 miles one way and add in 10 miles both ways per day to my babysitter (I am raising a grandson) that is 40 miles per day. And that's five days a week.That does not include the grocery store or other necessary trips. To get the grocery store on foot, I would have to cross a five lane bridge over the interstate that has no sidewalks. It's a couple of miles to the cheaper store. Four miles roundtrip. People are killed trying to cross that bridge every year. I could walk the four miles one way to the other grocery store. I'd be crossing a major highway with six lanes and no cross walk and added islands/medians in between the opposing lanes. On the other side of the highway there are no sidewalks.

I changed churches to one that is only seven miles away. That is fourteen miles round trip. Julian needs church. It comforts him and helps him cope with the events of the last couple of years, all the losses and traumas. He is treated like family and very cherished. He serves as an acolyte as well.

I'd say that being careful and making sure all trips are well planned, helps a lot. Like going to the post office on the way to pick up groceries and dropping off library books when I pick up Julian at the babysitter's who lives by Georgetown library. We order books on line from other libraries and pick them up there. Still, I use a tank of gas every 9 days. I get from 22 - 25.5 miles per gallon. So if I purchase three to three and a half tanks per month, that's $450 to $525 or more for gas. Either one of those was more than I cleared in a week on a paycheck. It's doubtful I will draw that much at my next job. With gas at $10, food prices will rise stupendously. They are already rising very quickly. Last summer milk jumped from $2 per gallon up to $ 4 and more per gallon. Bread is up, everything is up.

• TopHat
    TopHat

jaguarbass::I am 55, I remember My mother was born in the city of Atlanta in a clapboard shack no water or electricity, chickens and roosters running through the yard. she told me she was so poor she ate dirt. I saw her brothers and sisters eat mustard and ketchup sandwiches. I saw that shack when I was growing up.:::::::::::;;;;;;;;;; Same here...I can remember coal oil lamps burning in my grandmother's two room clapboard house and taking the path to the outhouse. I never heard of an indoor toilet until my dad got a new job and we moved to the city when I was 6 years of age. Then I had to wear shoes to school. That's the truth.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit