IF gas prices go to $10, and these major disasters continue......

by AK - Jeff 28 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

....like the one in Myanmar now, will we not see the Apocalyptic Religions just explode in growth, including Jw's?

Even during relatively calm times, these groups can stir the 'sheep' to believe that the Tribulation is just around the corner. If we continue to see major disasters, what effect do you see in these groups?

I must say, that if I was still a Jw, I would be watching the news and almost praying nightly that the 'end' would come soon. The WTS has positioned itself now [with the Kool-aid Watchtower, the reduced meetings, changing New Light] to give the appearance that they are getting more holy spirit than ever. Jdubs will likely begin to snuggle up closer to the organization than ever.

Opinions?

Jeff

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    ....like the one in Myanmar now, will we not see the Apocalyptic Religions just explode in growth, including Jw's?

Yes.

Also extremist political parties.

Misery begets these things with certain kinds of people.

BTS

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

When we get disasters, it makes people scared that the end is just ahead. And the Washtowel Slaveholdery will do all it can to reinforce it all. Just like what happened after 9/11/2001.

If we get gas at $10 or more a gallon (or more accurately, when), it will have a double effect. The witlesses will not be able to afford to go out in field circus as much (and the Filthful and Disgraceful Slavebugger will guilt them back, when "the end is just ahead"). But it will make them afraid that the end is just ahead, causing them to run their credit cards to the max to pay for it. What it will do is spell major money problems for people that take heed.

• rmt1
    rmt1

All this stuff is a function of exponential/logarithmic global population growth. As long as there is such growth, causing a saturation of news as various surfaces grate against each other, man against man, man against nature, man against self, fundamentalist apocalyptic religions will never run out of material. Religion is not an aberration of man, it is a function of preliminary evolution. Graduation from religion is a function of continuing and advanced evolution. If free energy and free resources allow the several man VS X faults to diminish in intensity, graduation from religion might occur. If circumstances cause these faults to rear their ugly head, graduation from religion diminishes. Not until you have free energy and free resources running rampant over the globe will you have a chance of seeing mass graduation from religion.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Without that graduation from religion, you will continue to have population growth, and will never see the free resources, so you will never see the graduation from religion so................................

• willyloman
    willyloman

By the time gas gets to $10 an hour, we will have taken steps to reduce reliance on oil consumptiion, much the way they have for decades in Europe were gasoline costs twice as much as it does here.

If more disasters occur, and more lives are lost, it will thin the herd, which is the natural order of things.

Stop watching the news and listening to talk radio for a couple of weeks. You'll have a whole new perspective. We live in a time when bad news travels fast and is all around us, delivered in living color with sound, 24/7.

If this were the 14th Century with the same mass communications systems in place today, we'd have mass suicides and crowds huddled on the hillsides holding Armageddon vigils.

• Alpaca
    Alpaca

LOL, Willy,

By the time gas gets to $10 an hour

We knew what you meant but it's still funny!!!

Cheers,

Alex

• marmot
    marmot

I don't see the big deal, really, we're just entering another phase of civilization.

Think about it, just one generation ago my grandfather was born in a clapboard shack on the prairies into what we would now consider third-world poverty. Likewise, my oldest uncle had to start a woodfire in the mornings during the winter so they could thaw enough water to bathe before walking to school. We're talking full-on Grapes of Wrath stuff.

Now we live in downright opulence (comparatively speaking) with running water, electricity, much easier access to higher education, free healthcare (at least up here in Canada), multiple-car families as the norm, and a comprehensive set of institutions to safeguard human rights and freedoms.

We're now in 2008 and our little corner of humanity has weathered the storm of a massive economic collapse, two world wars, a cold war, outbreaks of disease, natural disasters, etcetera etcetera and yet we're still mysteriously plugging along and the quality of life for most people is still going up.

I'm not saying it's impossible, just look at that giant clusterf***k called Zimbabwe, but something way more drastic than higher gas prices and a few more hurricanes would be required to roll back the clock to even the way of life of my great-grandparents.

To play Devil's advocate, even if that scenario were to take place, would it be all that bad? I mean, our ancestors survived, obviously, and produced many fine achievements. Our descendants would inevitably get the wheel rolling again.

Problem is, not many people see things this way so yes, there will be a lot of panicky sheeple looking for a comfortable authority structure to take shelter under.

• journey-on
    journey-on

I agree with Willyloman.....We get news almost instantaneously and it makes it seem like one thing after another is happening.

Although hearing about that many people losing their lives in a disaster is heartbreaking, Willyloman is right.....it is Nature's way

of thinning the herd...survival of the fittest....natural selection.

The Dark Ages had the Black Plague and constant wars. The worst hurricane in recorded history happened over 100 years ago.

We will figure it out. The constant focus on the horrific aspects of human existence drowns out all the good and I would say the

good far outweighs the bad in the world. Remember: There are two kinds of people in the world. ...the ones that see the glass

half empty and the ones that see the glass half full. I know, I know...it's cliche.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff
    There are two kinds of people in the world. ...the ones that see the glass

half empty and the ones that see the glass half full. I know, I know...it's cliche.

Trouble is- Apocalyptic Religions see a half full glass and call it half empty, yet they see it as representing a filled glass after Armageddon empties it again. Wrap that one around a couple of times!

Jeff

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit