Old people and the internet

by Burger Time 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I think that only applies if your black and eating at Denny's

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

it's rather a cliche in the design world - give a newbie a large palette of fonts, sizes and colors, and suddenly they think they must use as many as possible in every communication.

As with acting, "less is more"...

• Renegade
    Renegade

When I read the title, mouthy immediately came to mind.

I don't mind it personally. I think it makes the post more fun to read.

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX

I don't think that 'age' has anything to do with it. I remember way back when (back when the original poster was still in diapers), when they came out with wordprocessors for computers.

Some folks would use a different font for every word. After all was said and done - the page looked like a ransom note.

Oh. And for what it's worth... if it weren't for all of us old fogies who worked in the computer field - you wouldn't even have a computer to play on today.

Regards,

Jim TX - of the I built my own personal computer - back when the original poster was learning to walk.

• TD
    TD

Old people = 52?

LOL. I love it when 20 somethings forget what generation brought them the PC and much of the internet and its infrastructure as well

Tom <----Really old I.T. consultant

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Yea yea yea you brought us the internet! Whatevs!!! Haha as I stated before I didn't claim all older people were like this, just that it seems my parents generation and my friends parents generation is especially at risk for using tacky fonts. As stated before it's good to be young!!!

• mouthy
    mouthy

When I read the title, mouthy immediately came to mind.
    In the pink is 84 I think Older than I . But I guess she cant get back in but I bet she is reading

• Robdar
    Robdar

Listen punk, one day you will be as old as I am --if you are lucky and some old person doesn't kill your young, smart ass first.

• loosie
    loosie

I'm going to try to put out the fire here a little bit.

First of Mouthy you are old you are just right. I have never seen one of your posts in extra large letters. unless you meant to add emphasis to something. The fact that you post on a message Mouthy, shows that you know your way around a computer really well.

The experience I have had with older people from working in tech support for 5 years is this: Some older people call up to say the internet isn't working when the reall issue is that the power is out on the whole block because of the storm. Sorry I can help that call the electric company. I have had older people who cannot find the power button on the computer. it's not so easy to explain to them over the phone where the power button is when they aren't willing to work with you. Now people like this don't usually find there way to message boards like this and much less post as much as Mouthy does.

Now my father is 76 years old. Doens't read email only plays bingo online. (Keeps dad off the streets) When his computer acts up he reboots it and all is well. My aunt who is younger that him is unable to send an email because she leaves out the @ symbol in the address. And cannot figure out what is wrong until I drive over there and watch exactly what she is doing

I think it is a matter of what people want to learn and what they dont' want to be bothered with.

So come out of your room Mouthy.

• dinah
    dinah

What Robdar said.

Hmmfffff, I eat 25 year old boys for breakfast.

Time flies. When you get your power scooter chair thingy, you can park it next to mine.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit