Most overrated movies

by keyser soze 63 Replies latest social entertainment

• flipper
    flipper

" Shakespeare in Love" . I feel either " The Green Mile " or " Saving Private Ryan" should have won best picture that year. Not that I'm not a sappy romantic myself - but I think " Shakespeare was way overrated

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    " Shakespeare in Love" . I feel either " The Green Mile " or " Saving Private Ryan" should have won best picture that year.

Saving Private Ryan not winning was a travesty.

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Here's two movies that may not be over-rated, but personally I've never been able to stay awake through them: "The Hunt for Red October" and "National Treasure". One of them stars an actor who has become a caricature of himself- Nicolas Cage. When we first saw the previews for "Gone in Sixty Seconds" me and my buddy just doubled over laughing at his exaggerated overacting.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Out of Africa. It was Xmas. Nothing was open but Waffle House and the movie theater. We had no family to visit. No friends really. We were JW's. My former husband and I were nearly in tears the movie was so boring and loooooong.

Recently I saw on TV, Bridges of Madison Co. They picked the wrong actress and actor for the lead parts. I was very unimpressed.

What's the one with Tom Cruise? The "Show me the money!" movie? Jerry McGuire. Way over rated. Just about anything with Tom Cruise is way over rated. The only movie that I have seen with Tom in it that was good was Rain Man.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I have watched "Out of Africa" a couple of times. Beautiful to watch, but sooooo slooooow. And Meryl Streep's accent is kind of hard to believe, although I think she's a good actress.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Meryl Streep seems to coast by on the idea that she is rumored to be a good actress. I liked her in Sophie's Choice and I liked her in She Devil. I think she's better in comedy.

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    Apocalypse Now- A three-hour boat ride (four if you watch the director's cut) with occasional shooting. And what's the payoff? A shell-shocked, burnt-out, former war hero, who is better off not being found.

Agreed. Marlon Brando went to the William Shatner School of Overacting before he did his cameo in this turkey. I saw it when it first came out at the theater. Depressed as I was when I walked out, I had major trouble with the plot and I thought the concept of a rouge general Brando out in the jungle totally unbelievable. I guess Coppolla was trying for some operatic Vietnam but it just didn't work for me and I really don't see what folks praise it for.

Citizen Kane- Seriously, who decided that this was the greatest film of all time? Did anyone with a pulse get a vote?

Oh you've got to be kidding me! Citizen Kane is brilliant. The social commentary on the most powerful media person of the first half of the 20th century (William Randolph Hearst) is scathing. And, in its day, daring and dangerous. The lighting, shading, camera angles were cutting edge and the story of a man who loses his ideals is classic. Sorry but I cannot agree here. Citizen Kane is pure brilliance.

Casablanca- I know. It's the most romantic movie of all time, and a cherished classic. Blah, blah, blah. I can think of 5 better Bogart movies, just off the top of my head.

Name them. Bogie was greatness, and while "Treasure of the Sierra Madre", "Key Largo", "The Big Sleep", "The African Queen", and "The Maltese Falcon" (sorry just going off the top of my head!) are really really good, no way are they better than "Casablanca". BTW if you want an underrated Bogie film(s), try "The Desperate Hours" or, if you like dark comedy, "We're No Angels".

Casablance is easily Top 10 of all time. It's the single most quoted movie of all time. It was made in 1942, at the height of the war, and no one had any expectation of what was going to come. Again cannot agree with you here.

Titanic- Great visual effects, when we finally get to the boat sinking, 2 and a half hours, and one incredibly lame love story later.

I don't know of too many people who think "Titanic" is all that. I mean it's a good flick, but for a tear jerker/action/historical flick it doesn't match up to "Doctor Zhivago". Although it does beat Zhivago when Kate Winslow posed for DiCaprio's drawing.

Taxi Driver- I can't deny its impact. It made stars of DeNiro and Scorcese, and even influence an attempted presidential assasination. It just never did anything for me.

I might have to excuse myself on this one. I never cared for this one. I thought it was good and I could see why critics praised it so much, but I just didn't like any character in the flick, and after a while I just didn't care what happened to anyone. Everyone was so nasty. I'm probably letting emotion get in the way but it really really really didn't work for me.

My five:

The Sound of Music (it won Best Picture & Best Director) -- it's like being beaten over your head with a Hallmark card

Singin' in the Rain -- kill me now!!!!!!

Little Miss Sunshine -- sorry but a little girl doing a strip tease dance just creeps me out; not funny and just really ickey all the way through; the dead-relative-on-the-car-trip was done better in "Vacation"

Dancing with Wolves -- okay you could cut an hour (or two or three) out of this bad boy and no one would miss it; and Costner has one (okay maybe two) good facial looks and after that you're waiting for him to hit a baseball or something. Yawn.

Braveheart -- WWF meets history; again over long, historically inaccurate (okay really -- the queen of France wants a Scot? in the 13th century? oh hell no) tiny plot, lots of violence and way, way too much testosterone.

Chris

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

She was awesome in "The Devil Wore Prada" -- the perfect executive bitch!

Nina

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Little Miss Sunshine -- sorry but a little girl doing a strip tease dance just creeps me out; not funny and just really ickey all the way through

This is a horrible movie. How sick is it when this movie got the raves it did?

Dancing with Wolves -- okay you could cut an hour of this bad boy and no one would miss it; and Costner has one (okay maybe two) looks and after that you're waiting for him to hit a baseball or something

Kevin Costner, almost as sickeningly over rated as Tom Cruise. "And unlike some other Robin Hoods, I can speak with an English accent." Cary Elwes Robin Hood Men in Tights.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

She was awesome in "The Devil Wore Prada" -- the perfect executive bitch!

Nina

Now this is one I wanted to see. And hey, it's sure nice to you and BT posting. I miss you both.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit