District Conventions are awful if you have kids. (Learn why!)

by easyreader1970 43 Replies latest jw friends

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    Oh yeah, if you are baptized in any christian faith, you can take communion

AND they have treats! Booyah! Even a Witless baptism? I never did that, so do Episto...alphabet's (spelling?) do a sprinkle or a dunk?

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

They do a sprinkle, in a very beautiful ceremony. Then the baptized person can take communion during the Eucharist part of the service. I suppose if a person wanted to be dunked, it could be requested. But the churches don't have pools usually. I think some newer Catholic churches are putting in pools, but then you have to be Catholic or they don't want you taking communion. My therapist is also a Sinsinawa Dominican Nun. She told me I could take communion at Marywood, the Dominincan Center in Grand Rapids. She said it was not a professional suggestion, but a pastoral suggestion. She's very progressive. The Dominican order tends to be more progressive.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

To clarify: I am not Roman Catholic. The Episcopal Church is what the Church of England, or Anglican church, became in the US after the American Revolution. Some consider us Anglican Catholic.

• loosie
    loosie

I stopped going when I had children. I went to half a day and decided it was way too much work.

I have a built in excuse. Since I have a dislocated hip that wasn't operated on because armageddon was coming I am unable to walk up and down the steps at the convention center everytime my baby cries.

So I just didn't go.

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Well, my wife goes with my mom. Last time they did that, Dad and I went and stayed with them in the hotel. We went to the beach and hung out watching sports at a sports bar. Then we all had lovely dinners in the evenings. It was great for all. Last time, though, I had to put up with the judgemental stares of my mom's friends who came to dinner with us. I didn't care. I came all unshaven wearing my beach bum gear. Enjoyed some adult beverages while the self righteous tee-totalers sipped their diet cokes. The best was my mom and my wife still showering me with genuine affection in front of these women even though they know I don't go anymore. Not even a hint of shunning or embarassment.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I can one up you. They are awful if you have kids and are going BY YOURSELF!!!!

We had to travel 2 hours to get to ours.

And pack all the food in a cooler, unless I could get there early and go to the grocers.

Drag everything to the room while the kids are locked in there watching each other. Unpack and iron.

"breakfast" at the hotel. Need I say more?

Dragging them, a cooler, diaper bag, bookbags and blanket to the seats. Only to fight with other people and end up sitting on the seats on the stadium floor. Where everyone can watch you carry out a screaming child and shake their heads in shame.

Afterwards; 3 tired kids, one tired grouchy mom trying to go eat. The waiting list is long because everyone left the session 10 minutes early to get their names on the list. So, occupy and distract whiny kids when all you want is a Crown Royal, neat. But that might offend someone.

Back to the room. Drag them away from the pool because you can't be everywhere at once. Baths for all three. NOW they are wide awake. Mom is glad she brought the Crown Royal with her, no one can see her in the room.

Finally at around 10 pm they are all asleep. Then Dad calls from where ever he happens to be on the tour. Grab the phone so the kids don't wake up. B*itch at him for not being there. Have your 4th stiff drink.

Wake up at 5 am to start all over again.

And you know what? I actually found a great convention site and hotel and now I'm never going again!!!! Oh well.

momz

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It would solve the problems if no one showed up. They would never have more people than seats if there were no people, and no one would steal seats (they would all be empty). And, if they droned on, it wouldn't matter because no one would be there to have their time wasted.

Of course, it would also mean less money for the Worldwide Pedophile Defense Fund.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    (does my standing nod stick or do I need to nod again for these people?, not sure if credits transfer etc, but no biggy)

They don't do the get saved stuff. That's between you and God/Great Spirit.

• jjessie
    jjessie

Outdoor stadium conventions mean wearing dress clothes all day... Stuck in them at night to eat, or go home to change into a second meeting outfit...

Pantyhose in the summer heat... great stuff

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

I got to where I mostly hated the coventions. I had a chronic illness and they nearly killed me, especially in the south in the heat. We missed a few sessions and even entire conventions. I liked seeing my friends, groping for new light and the publications, which became more and more of a disappointment.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit