District Conventions are awful if you have kids. (Learn why!)

by easyreader1970 43 Replies latest jw friends

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

I know that many of you have not been to distric conventions in some time, but what I am about to describe is a recent trend.

1. More people than seats. For the past six or seven years, they've tried cramming too many congregations into one convention hall at one time. In many cases, if you do not get to the convention more than an hour before the program starts and you need more than a couple of seats, you cannot find seats. At all. The local brothers will say things like "arrive early to get seats". But the logic is flawed. If everyone arrived ninety minutes early, there still would not be enough seats! I have been to conventions (and also assemblies) where they have literally turned people around and sent them home because too many cars and people would violate the capacity laws. It doesn't help when they have these "invite everyone you know to the convention" campaigns. Where are they going to sit?

2. Poor behavior from servants of Jehovah. So you arrive at the convention early because that is the only chance to get seats for your family of five. You wait at the doors for an hour or more just standing there. The doors open and it turns into an American NFL football game. Grown people--grown people--are running through the place, briefcases and purses swinging, trying to find seats. They will knock you down if you let them. I always have the urge to clothesline someone, but I never do it. But you walk patiently and still find okay seats. Then you get up to go retrieve your family from the vehicle and come back and someone has stolen your seats. They've taken your bibles and song books and replaced them with theirs. Then there are arguments and attitudes.

3. Parking attendants. To this day, I do not know why we have parking attendants. People would fare much better if left to their own driving abilities. They will hose up exiting traffic in ways that cannot be described in words. It once took me almost 2 hours to leave the convention site for sitting in my vehicle in a crowd of unmoving motor vehicles.

4. So, so long. Can't they make these shorter? Yes, I have kids. They are altogether evil, according to the Society. They make me miss spiritual gems that flow from the platform. They distract others. They will only grow up to leave the Organization, anyway. Why not just abandon them? Why are the sessions so numbingly long? Five o'clock in the afternoon? Can we not subject small kids to this sort of torture?

• Open mind
    Open mind
    1. More people than seats.

Hasn't happened around here. Yet.

I agree on Items 2-4.

But hold on a minute. Think big picture. What better way to make your kids want to leave the JWs than the scenario you just described?

Maybe you should consider going to 2 District Conventions per summer in order for your kids to get the most spiritual "benefit".

OM

• sacolton
    sacolton

5. Location, Location, Location! Wake up to get to the convention that is located three counties away just doesn't make sense. There was a time when our conventions were located in the same city, but for the last three years they have been moved to some out-of-the-way spot that takes an hour or two to reach. I guess it's all about saving money, but for whom? Not the rank and file class.

• reneeisorym
    reneeisorym

I enjoyed the conventions more when I was a kid than an adult. As a kid you still get naptime and as a teenager you can look for dates.

• undercover
    undercover
    There was a time when our conventions were located in the same city, but for the last three years they have been moved to some out-of-the-way spot that takes an hour or two to reach.

My opinion on this is that the big city venues get top dollar for rent and they don't need to haggle price...or agree to keep concessions closed. But the smaller city venues are always looking for ways to stay in the black...and if they can rent to the JWs for the weekend...and get a free coliseum cleaning to boot, they'll work with the Society on pricing.

I'm fortunate (or not...depending on how you look at it) to live close to one of those small city venues that are used. The downside is that I get too many reminders that the convention is nearby and why don't I come. The upside is knowing that several hundred dubs are sitting in a coliseum in dress clothes on a nice, sunny day while I'm out riding my motorcycle or going to a outdoor music concert. Occasionally, I'll see them at dinner in their monkey suits and name tags, while I'm in shorts and sandals, relaxed.

The old saying is true...the best revenge is by enjoying life and letting it show...

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    District Conventions are awful if you have kids. (Learn why!)

Now put that on the cover of a watchtower!

lol

Hope4others

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

I remember once, the meeting was running far ahead of schedule. I don't know if one or more of the brothers had talked too fast and rushed through their part or not. It was Sunday, I believe, and the program was due to end at 3:55pm. It was 3:20. I remember leaping for joy in my mind. The last brother, who I believe was the district overseer, actually talked and dragged it out somehow to 3:55. I remember screaming in my mind.

er

• keyser soze
    keyser soze
    To this day, I do not know why we have parking attendants.

What else are these brothers with no job skills going to do to make themselves feel useful? It only takes so many people to clean the bathrooms.

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead

You sold me... I'm not going this year...

ER1970... The solution is easy.. don't go!

• JimmyPage
    JimmyPage

Maybe I could persuade my wife to just go half days for the sake of the baby. (Yeah right that'll happen.) Then we could spend the rest of the day doing something that's actually enjoyable!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit