Be honest. Would having more money make you happier?

by nicolaou 46 Replies latest jw friends

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Yes, yes, yes! As Dolly Parton says, "Money can't buy you happiness, but you can sure look good while you're depressed." But hey, when you are a single grandmother without a stellar education trying to support your grandson by yourself, money would make things a damn site easier and give time to worry about vain things like how fat you are.

• poppers
    poppers

I have very little money, live alone, and have few if any wants, and I am already happy. I can't even imagine what being "happier" would be like.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    I'm not rich, but I'm single and theoretically could support a wife and 4 kids on what I earn. I actually feel a little guilty about it. Plus I'm making close to 100 grand in a stock deal that closes later this year. I don't feel like I deserve that either.

*Sigh* Why must you be 27?

• Gregor
    Gregor

Well, duh! Of course. That's a no brainer.

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

I'm already happy and I make a normal living. It would clear up some debt but that's about it - oh and give me more freedom to travel and help others....money has it's uses.

• freedomfighter
    freedomfighter

Hell yes it would!! I've been broke and i've been well off. I know what end of the scale i'm happiest at. FF

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

If I had enough money where I didnt have to work anymore and I could play and ammuse myself, I would be happier.

If I had more money than I have now but still had to work. I wouldnt be a whole lot happier.

Things dont make me happy.

Time and freedom to enjoy myself and things makes me happy and content.

• jgnat
    jgnat

I think there's a line.

There's a certain amount of money that is needed to keep the wolves at bay. It wears the soul to worry about paying the bills, keeping the home, staying warm and fed. If those basic needs are cared for, the mind, heart, and body can relax.

After that, there's "fun money". We have a little extra to indulge ourselves. It's fun, but it might not feed the soul. Nothing wrong with a little fun, but I think we better be sure there's more to our lives than that. Otherwise, all the purchases, consumerism, and indulgence starts to feel empty.

Then there's extreme wealth. Then, I think, money starts to become a burden. There's accountants and auditors to satisfy. Money has to be moved and managed, and darn it all, you better make sure you keep track of it. Case in point Michael Jackson and his financial handlers. Too much wealth, and it gets hard to spend it all. Overindulged children are flawed (Tori Spelling, Paris Hilton). Overly wealthy people can get fooled in to thinking they can do anything, that any whim can be bought. You can lose your soul.

I think the smart, wealthy people learn how to give it away.

http://www.gatesfoundation.org/AboutUs/RelatedInfo/Discussion-060626.htm

• CoonDawg
    CoonDawg

Of course. As my wife says - and I think she borrowed it from her dad, a man full of pearls of wisdom - "There's no end to the things you can do if you're handy with money."

On a side note, I do find it intriguing that so many here equate coming in to more money as removing you from debt. You don't have to be wealthy to be debt free, and I know plenty of people who make tons of money but still end up with virtually nothing at the end of the pay period because they have no self discipline. The key at any income level is to spend every dime you make. Now by this I don't mean blow it, but assign it to a task, yes I mean sit down and do a written budget and stick to it. Budget for everything, including saving and charitable giving. Even budget for "walkin' around" money....the stuff you're just going to blow.

Sure life can be tougher the less money you make, but you don't have to be miserable. That's the biggest reason why so many who come in to big money like lottery winners end up broke in a fairly short time. They decide they have to live in a huge house instead of just a nice house in a nice neighborhood. They have to buy an $80,000 BMW instead of the $35,000 to $40.000 Lexus. No, you don't have to be a miser, but just making better choices with your money can go a long way to a happier life and fewer money worries. Of course, for married folks, you must be on the same page or this plan just won't work.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

With a broad definition of 'happiness', yes. More money would buy me more time, and I could do stuff that makes me happier than working.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit