Be honest. Would having more money make you happier?

by nicolaou 46 Replies latest jw friends

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Not really.

When I think about it, if we had more money when we bought our house about 5 years ago and got a bigger mortgage (ours is about $350,000 now) .... well ... I'm glad we didn't have more money. We likely would have just been in debt a lot more than now.

I'll keep our modest place and be "happy."

Rub a Dub

• maxwell
    maxwell

The short answer for myself is no. Are we talking income or net worth here? There are many interesting comments on this thread. I agree that one needs a certain level of money or income in order that basic needs are met. If one is worrying about paying the housing costs or getting food, they are probably not going to be happy and more money might make that person happy. Like others have posted, I am not rich, but my level of income is more than adequate to meet my basic needs. Sure if I get a raise, that's a happy occasion. But as far as my overall happiness, it doesn't matter too much as long as my income stays above inflation. Seeker4 mentioned the book Your Money or Your Life, which I also recommend. In terms of net worth, I am no where near being financially independent (meaning having enough money saved so that working is optional for the rest of my one's life). Fortunately, I like my job. I don't think I will mind working another 30-35 years. And I think I'll probably have enough to live out the rest of the my life the way I want by then. If I had enough to retire now, I don't know that that would make me any happier. Along the terms of that book, there are people who live what is described as a simple life style. They seriously think about what they really need and want in life. And for some of them, it isn't a big house and a flashy cars. If what you really want doesn't cost that much to acquire and doesn't cost that much to own, you don't necessarily need so much money. Sometimes, we might think we want or need something simply because everyone else has it. It is amazing how many people think that cable is a necessity or the number of satellites you see on the side of public housing. In my case, I do need to work on increasing my net worth. I hope that I have some special happiness on the day I retire and I hope that I have sufficient funds for the rest of my life on that day. But presently, I don't see any correlation in my happiness and my net worth as long as it is bit above 0. Maybe there will be a tighter connection as I get older.

• sandy
    sandy

They say "money doesn't buy happiness" but I'd sure like to give it a try.

• Princess Daisy Boo
    Princess Daisy Boo
    The key to cash though is balance!

Yes... A higher bank balance!!!

And to Bring the Light - when can we meet???

• odie67
    odie67

YES. whenever I have more money i'm happier.

I don't want a whole lotta money like 180 millon (i'll take it) but i don't wish for it.

• mrsjones5
  • ExjwSiouxChief
    ExjwSiouxChief

What good is your money if the land is taken? I want to sing the war song and hunt the buffalo. I need to quit drinking strong whiskies too.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit