a couple of movies I don't get

by Hortensia 59 Replies latest jw friends

• White Dove
    White Dove

Wasn't Fight Club a Brad Pitt movie? My son and I watched it. It was great! The guy ends up being crazy. He only imagines the Brad Pitt character. He's crazy! Great psycho thriller guy flick style. I like a lot of guy flicks. Drank beer while watching it, too!

• drew sagan
    drew sagan

Children of Men examined the question "what would we do if we knew we were doomed?"

What makes Children of Men different from many other films in the same niche is that the problem mankind faces is completely of unknown origin. It is not clear why humanity has become infertile. This being the case much of what we are left with is the portrayal of human actions in a world that is seemingly out of control. While the story does contain some hope (mainly in the form of a young pregnant girl) there are still many unknowns. These unknowns are part of the story and should not be seen as a lack there of. Humanity faces many problems that are simply beyond the label of 'good vs. evil' and I think this film displays this well.

I don't get most of David Lynch's stuff. Mulholland Drive went pretty much over my head.

I actually think Mullholland Drive is one of the eaiser to understand Lynch movies, besides The Straight Story. Now don't get me started on an explanation of Eraserhead ;)

• Galileo
    Galileo

Cinematically, Children of Men is an amazing piece of work. Watch the scene where Clive Owen carries the baby through the battlefield. That gos on for what seems like 10 minutes, single camera, massive special effects, and no edits. It is absolutely amazing.

As for the story, it seems to be about the value of human life, and believing in something worth sacrificing yourself for. I really liked it.

• drew sagan
    drew sagan
    Cinematically, Children of Men is an amazing piece of work. Watch the scene where Clive Owen carries the baby through the battlefield. That gos on for what seems like 10 minutes, single camera, massive special effects, and no edits. It is absolutely amazing.

Two scenes I found very exhilarating was when the car is ambushed by the people hidden in the forest, and then the scene were they escape at night and he pushes the car down the hill to try and kick start it while being chased. Those two scenes are extremely realistic and well done IMO. The protagonist comes off as no super-hero, but instead as a very vulnerable person (like all of us).

• Fadeout
    Fadeout

The Village was crappy like most Shyamalan (sp?) movies.

It was not scary, the "twist" was obvious from the beginning, the acting was embarrassing.

Still I would have to say Signs is worse. But just barely.

Children of Men annoyed me as well, it was a much better movie, but as I recall it just kind of left us hanging. I guess that was the point, but still not a totally satisfying cinematic experience. Maybe I need to see it again while drinking.

The first Matrix was very cool. And of course there are all kinds of JW parallels. The second one had a bit too much philosophizing but some amazing action sequences, and a lot of slow-witted folks didn't get what was going on. The third one really lowered the bar and I've basically forgotten what it even was about.

Now here is something that may be controversial: I like but don't love the Lord of the Rings movies. I say the reason they're so long is because half the scenes are entirely in slow motion. Did we really need to see Frodo almost drowning for no reason for fifteen minutes before Sam rescues him, cries on his shoulder, and slips him the tongue?

Fight Club was awesome. Even though it did resort to the "Secret Window- The Protagonist is Also the Bad Guy" ending it was executed well.

• White Dove
    White Dove

OMG!!!! Secret Window Secret Garden!!!!!! LOVED IT!!!!

• changeling
    changeling

The Village was a horror/fairie tale. It depicts what happens when people isolate themselves and lie to subsequent generations to keep them in isolation (can you say WBTS?).

Children of men is an end of days film, nothing more, nothing less.

Fight Club is one of my all time favorite movies. The psychological twist is a thing of beauty.

changeling :)

• Mincan
    Mincan

Children of Men sought to remind us very thin veils keep civilisation functioning as it is.

The Village sought to remind us that we make our own reality.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

I enjoyed The Village, and Children of Men. In Children of Men I loved how all the fighting stopped as the baby came down and outside the building. The way they reacted to the crying broke my heart.

The Matrix movies really confused me, but my sister loved them!

Now, Vanilla Sky, damn that was a hard movie!

momz

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

Eraserhead - my god that was a depressing film. I didn't get it because I couldn't stand to watch the whole thing. The Children of Men was visually very interesting - I think that the reason the Matrix wasn't so good was because it wasn't visually interesting. Just looked industrial, which I know was the point, but still, not much to look at. What kind of movies do I get? Well, I really liked Little Shop of Horrors and Beetlejuice. I like sick comedy, I guess you would say.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit