a couple of movies I don't get

by Hortensia 59 Replies latest jw friends

• Gregor
    Gregor

Yesterday the CBS morning show previewed about 8 of the soon to be released summer movies. With one exception they were all superhero/fantasy films based on computor effects. I agree with Dork that these are boring, but the problem is that they make zillions of dollars and so they keep making more of them. I see that M. Night Shammy has another one coming out, I hope it lives up to the promise he has shown with a couple of his early films. Will Smith is being wasted in another stupid sci fi film.

Another genre I avoid are the flying kung foo films.

Thanks for the observation on No Country.... I didn't like the ending when the killer just walks off down the street.

• Mincan
    Mincan
    What we need is another Clint Eastwood or John Wayne! Manly Movies! Dirty Harry! Charles Bronson! Death Wish! We need more movies like The Godfather and Good Fellas. Stop the Wussification of America! How about some more Robert DeNiro and Joe Pesci?? Anyway, I'm rambling again. Back to work....

Now, sensitisation is always a good thing, but what we really need to stop is infotainment and the cerebral diarhea infecting Amurika TM. I saw many great movies last year, but no one has heard of them.

• Casper
    Casper

We watched the "Mist" this past week-end. Started out rather dorky...but the ending left such a haunting feeling in my mind I can't seem to shake it...

Seen "No Country for Old Men"... and had to go to the Internet to figure out what they were trying to say.

Personally, I like movies like, "Saw", "Hostel" and "Hills Have Eyes", much better.

Cas

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I liked the Village-but I really related to it from the former cultists viewpoint. I don't like any of the other movies that guy made.

Matrix-I enjoyed the first one and recommended it to my family. After that, they lost my interest. Never saw fight club, but will someday.

I really enjoyed "Children of Men", as it was thought provoking. There had(has) been talk recently about how certain kinds of frogs are losing their male population, and bees are losing population altogether. I thought it was rather timely-we use so many chemicals, it is a concern that we should have, though I don't see any serious loss of population imminent-it would only take a couple of generations for such a catastrophe. The value of life and humanity itself is worth considering. I enjoyed it because it actually instigated a thoughtful conversation with my husband-rare indeed:)

I like Potter and dragons---what can I say? My son was likely one of the first wave of Harry Potter readers in the states and turned me on to it really early. I read the book before I saw any review. I remember how expensive it was(hardcover!), but my son really wanted it-and I was so glad he wanted to read a BOOK, that I overlooked the witchcraft AND the price, cause it was (at that time) a big book and he wanted to read it!! (He won't see the movies, he is a potter purist:) but I think they were done well.)

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

Matrix movies: All three of them are worthless turds.

The Village: Not Shyamalan's best work. I thoroughly enjoyed "Lady In The Water".

Fight Club: It was okay, but far from a masterpiece.

No Country For Old Men: I can't say enough good things about this one.

Pulp Fiction: Awesome.

Children of Men: I thought it was brilliant. Well written, filmed, & acted. Great story.

I think one of the worst films ever made is "Death Proof". Tarantino really disappointed with this steaming pile of crap.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Tarantino is starting to lose his edge, I think. Too bad. I love most of his stuff. Pulp Fiction, Four Rooms, Resevoir Dogs... awesome. He needs to make some more of those.

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

I liked The Mist a lot, though I'm too much of a reader and found the original ending much more haunting (though much more open ended, it was also much more hopeful). I am a horror film fan, but tend to avoid strict slasher films.

As a reader, though, I thought Children of Men explored some themes from the end game of Herbert's The White Plague (which predated the book Children of Men by about ten years). Though stylistically quite different, the last [pregnant] woman on Earth allows the exploration of a segment of human nature, politically, socially, interpersonally. It's not often pretty.

dinah comments: "Premonition with Sandra Bullock was confusing."

Bullock was living days of her life out of sequence - time had come unstuck, either in the physical world or within her mind. I liked the film because it grapples with the nature of consciousness and reality to a certain extent, but it's point seems to be our dependence on sequence, on linear time, for coherent existing. I mean, The Power of Now is all well and good, and being in the present is an effective tool for living, but too much "mental suicide" and we lose the thread of coherency that much of our lives depend on (we are, in the end, physical creatures with cyclical dependencies, in our physiology, psychology and social constructus).

Sadly, in the end The Premonition drives home the idea of fate in a way that (to a reader) has become all too stale.

Since I like playing with the nature of reality, I liked The Matrix. All that we know about the physical world is through our sensory apparatus. Fool that apparatus, and you provide a false reality - or at least a manufactured one. Perhaps they are all manufactured? The subsequent films rather degenerated into purely simplistic political intrigue and then action/adventure - satisfying in a different way, but not intellectually engaging for me.

I also liked The Golden Compass, and hope the rest of the books are filmed - the third in particular presents an exposition on consciousness (and "God") that's worth a look. But the story is a difficult marriage of pageantry and philosophy, and typical filmgoers will not relate well to it. The mainstream attraction is invested in the personality of the heroine, a near delinquent girl, which presents its own challenges.

M. Night Whatshisname is certainly an acquired taste, and he takes his own time to tell a story, I think hoping we are as engrossed in his characters as he is. This doesn't always work for me (Signs), but sometimes does (Unbreakable, The Sixth Sense). I liked The Village a lot - for the obvious reasons, the credulous youngsters being duped for "noble reasons" by the shortsighted, impractical elders - and I liked Lady of the Water for its fairy tale elements, its too brief sarcastic comment on critics, and its admittedly too-slow exploration of how we humans work so hard to put pieces of reality into a coherent worldview, only to get it right when we stop forcing the pieces to fit. In the end, the film is another marraige of disparate elements that come together to entertain, but the pieces don't fit very well together and take a long time to to even that.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

I loved Children of Men. I think it was more a perspective on race and how easily we can loose our morals in troubled times. Easily one of the top five Sci-Fi movies ever made in my book.

• beksbks
    beksbks

Ohhhhh I just love movies darn it.

I liked The Village very much, just as I've liked all of M. N. Shamalamadingdong's movies (I've called him that from the first time I heard of him!). I also really liked Children of Men. I thought they were both pretty straightforward in what they were trying to say.

Fight Club and American Psycho both just made me feel like I had wasted an evening. Unfortunately, I had seen AP in the theater, and then felt so cheated I rented FC on the way home. Maybe it was the mood I was in, but did not like either one at all, they pissed me off.

Pulp Fiction is one of my all time favorite movies no doubt. As is Good Fellas.

I've tried to watch the Matrix movies. I just find them boring. l get the premise, just don't care for all the skinny ties and overdone coolness. I lived through New Wave.

All the Lord of the Rings movies are spectacular. I had been wishing someone would make a decent version of them for 20 years after reading all the books several times. They finally did a nearly perfect job.

I agree, the end of No Country for Old Men was ..........not satisfying. But I liked the movie very much. Also There Will be Blood. Performances were so great in both of them, that was nearly enough.

Has anyone seen Death at a Funeral? I saw that recently, and just loved it. Not that it's difficult to understand or anything but what a hoot.

• Burger Time
    Burger Time

Did anyone actually read No Country For Old Men? The movie pretty much sticks to the book, and that is how the book ends.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit