Will Women Eventually Start Being Used As Servants?

by White Dove 57 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Awakened at Gilead
    Awakened at Gilead
    I'm surprised they let females sit in the front seats of cars.

Who does???? That's against the rules.... Get in the back you....

• lesterd
    lesterd

Why not, they did in Jesus time, they ministerd to him and the apostls, servants in the congregation do not teach, they hand out mag and books and do book keeping.

• loosie
    loosie
    forced to start using women in positions of authority

I don't think they would ever do that. They would use an unqualified brother before they put a woman in a position of authority. Remmebr in the 1950's the governing drooling body said that men have bigger brains that is why they are in charge.

• booby
    booby

Many already do much, like composing meeting parts for the husbands who are not smart enough to do so themselves, chastizing and correcting husbands (as one "sister" did where I went) and other such like organizing his briefcase (without ever looking at and reading confidential info of course).

Just my thoughts

• Open mind
    Open mind

I wonder what non-JWs would think of the title of this thread?

OM

• maxwell
    maxwell

I may be proven wrong, but I don't think it will ever happen. Sure they did integrate. They did start letting black brothers be circuit overseers and district overseers for all, and they even let a black guy on the governing body. But they'll never let women be used as servants. Maybe they'd let them do stuff like carry mikes and hand out magazines at the counter, but they'd never be allowed to stand at the podium or be given the title ministerial servant or elder.

And they have plenty of scriptures to use to support their position. Note I'm agnostic, but I always get a kick out of reading the bible verses that say women are to be in subjection to the man (Ephesians 5:22; 1 Corinthians 11:2) or especially the ones that says women are to be silent (1 Corinthians 14:33,34; 1 Timothy 2:11, 12). I always wonder why there are more women than men in these religions, like Christianity and Islam.

• Mary
    Mary
    As the men in the congregations suffer from burnout and quit helping out as MS and Elders, do you think the situation of shrinkage will become so desperate that the WTS will be forced to start using women in positions of authority?

I think they'd cancel field service and the TMS before they let women have any position in the congregation. I mean, come on......You really think they'd want someone like me as the PO?

• blondie
    blondie

In the "old days" when some congregations were entirely made up of women, women carried out many duties in a limited way. I was in a congregation where women took care of the magazines, literature and territory and "moderated" a book study. I have seen women handle the sound and accounts. But always with the view that a man would take over when one presented himself.

*** w57 2/15 p. 123 pars. 5-6 Overseers of the Ministry ***

Scripturally, then, only dedicated, mature, well-balanced, progressive-thinking and acting congregation publishers and pioneers with a proper view of the ministry qualify to be overseers in the congregation. Just how long is it before one can become an overseer? Some apply themselves so diligently that upon the completion of a full year of ministerial service, after symbolizing their dedication by water baptism, they have matured and progressed to the point where they are appointed overseers by the Society. In each congregation, however, the most mature, capable and zealous ministers are appointed overseers, in keeping with the Bible’s counsel to use "not a newly converted man."

6 But what if there are not sufficient dedicated men in a congregation? Can women be appointed to services? Yes, qualified sisters are appointed in such cases and care for the duties outlined. If there are no male appointed overseers, sisters have the responsibility to preside over meetings. In recognition of the theocratic headship of man and realizing that she is temporarily or circumstantially serving in the congregation in place of a man who should fill that position, it is proper for the sister while so serving to wear a head covering. When a brother moves into the area or local men learn the truth, qualify and are appointed overseers, it is a time of happiness for such sisters. Gladly they give way to the brother in recognition of Jehovah’s theocratic arrangement.—Eph. 5:24-32, NW. (See "This Means Everlasting Life", pages 154-163, for additional information on "Woman’s Privileges in the Congregation.")

• VoidEater
    VoidEater

Never. They would bus in men from outlying areas first, or designate the area "special needs" and send a missionary out.

• Layla33
    Layla33

I just don't think it will happen. The indoctrination of men over women is just too deep in that religion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit