Add something to the FLEA MARKET JW Memory collectibles

by journey-on 41 Replies latest jw friends

• alamb
    alamb

Changling,

I remember the magazine rolls and helping load them in the car....they used to come to our house. And we always worked the literature counter. I felt evil for sneaking peaks in the boxes of the new releases and would try to justify it by reading them before they were released at the breaks...sheesh. My mom would always to try to show her special her children were for working the book counter. Then I graduated to auditing. wow.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Memorial Day! I was a very small child, but I remember my mother curling my hair and putting on one of those

bands with flowers on it. My dress was starched and ironed to perfection, new bright shining patent leather

shoes, socks with lace, and GLOVES!! Yes, little tiny white knit gloves special for the Memorial. I felt like a pretty little flower.

• BONEZZ
    BONEZZ

As a small kid in 1958 I remember my Dad went out and bought a new Morris Minor sedan so we could travel from northern California to New York for the big International Ass, It was Mom and Dad, me and big brother all crammed in. I remember my Dad bragging about the gas mileage and the fact that we made the ROUND TRIP for $67 in gas and oil. I can still se those bumper stickers someone mentioned and the ones that didn't have them, had Craptowers and Asleeps taped into their windows.

I also remember eating in tents at on metal trays. I remember having apple pie at Yankee Stadium and the snack stands were open, I believe, all the time...even during session, gasp! And we went from something gawd awful like 9am to 9pm..for 8 days straight.

I also remember as a kid seeing those people on the street corners with the sandwich boards. Think gawd I never got to wear one...and handbills that we'd leave on peoples doors advertising a Big Sunday talk of some sort. I also remember my Dad as the Assistant Congregation Servant (pre-overseer).

Some of it was kind of exciting ...but I would have traded it all for the chance to be a normal kid...maybe a boy scout...a kid who could play cowboys and indians with cap guns without a lecture...a kid who didn't have to dress up like a trained monkey several times a week...a kid who didn't have to be embarrassed at every holiday and every day at school when the flag salute started...a kid who had the talent to play sports but wasn't allowed...

..you know what? I hate those Bastards!

-BONEZZ

• brinjen
    brinjen

alt

the ministry school was the equivalent of college
  • AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Sure

Sitting in the hot wooden bleachers of various high-school gymnasiums to hold CA's. I recall sitting in one in Three Rivers Michigan [I think], and it was hot enough to fry an egg.

Studying the Babylon the Great book. Page after page of Freddies wind.

Jeff

• chickpea
    chickpea

since we "came in" in the early 90's, none of these recollections of those b0rn in the b0rg were my personal experience but i do remember when the hub bought an old car from the former "company servant" of the KH we attended, when he was pulling it apart, our oldest ( then in the "tweens" ) found a schedule from one of the 8 day conventions... he nearly crapped his pants at the thought of it... he hated even the one day special circuit assemblies.....

• Alligator Wisdom
    Alligator Wisdom

Magazine subscriptions that came in the mail with those brown wrappers with your name and address printed in dot matrix form.

Just being a child and receiving anything in the mail addressed to me personally was quite a self-confidence booster. But that got dry and tired just before I reached junior high school.

Alligator Wisdom (aka Brother NOT Exerting Vigorously)

• undercover
    undercover
    Anybody remember bumper stickers advertising the convention.

I remember in the late 60s when a bunch of JWs started putting YHWH stickers on the back window of their cars.

Another fad around the same time was to put WT and Awake mags in the back deck of the car on the way to the conventions so that when people passed they "got a witness" or other JWs could wave as they passed.

But then counsel came from above that these practices weren't appropriate and everyone stopped. I don't remember the entire reason, but the one point that stood out to me as a kid, was that there was a concern that by putting something on the car identying yourself as JW but then having a dirty car or driving recklessly would give a bad witness instead of a good one.

• undercover
    undercover

Magazine subscriptions that came in the mail with those brown wrappers with your name and address printed in dot matrix form.

Just being a child and receiving anything in the mail addressed to me personally was quite a self-confidence booster.

I was actually embarrased that the mail man knew we were witnesses. I silently cheered when they ended subscriptions.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Journey on, I think the mind-altering properties of the ink is nothing when compared with the mind-altering properties of the actual words printed with the ink! In fact, I think I'd rather get high off the ink! Huffing party at my house! Woo Hoo! LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit