Add something to the FLEA MARKET JW Memory collectibles

by journey-on 41 Replies latest jw friends

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I remember when they first allowed females to give "talks" in the ministry school. I remember my first talk - I was pretty young, not even junior high yet, I think. I remember being told that the ministry school was the equivalent of college - hooboy how they could say that with a straight face!

• Casper
    Casper

LOL @ alamb... I can so relate...

Journey,

I don't remember the bumper stickers, but I used to really feel sad that I had missed out on those 8 day conventions. I probably would

have worked my self silly in food service and Loved every minute of it...

I used to beg the older ones to share their memories of them.

Cas

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Assembly burritos were the best damn part of the assembly. In fact, the best damn burritos ever. Once they were removed I began to doubt that the organization was directed by the holy spirit.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others

Well did I ever miss out,

Cheers!

hope4others

• journey-on
    journey-on
    the best damn burritos ever. Once they were removed I began to doubt that the organization was sirected by the holy spirit.

ROFLMAO!!

• NewYork44M
    NewYork44M

Do you remember those yellow plastic bags we carried our literature in at the 1978 International Assembly. That was when they pushed us to go out in service in the community. I had fun that assembly we were in New Orleans with family and friends.

• journey-on
    journey-on

Another memory with its own special place among my sensory recollections: The smell of the women's restrooms and the fact that they had NO DOORS on them. Way back when (some of you are way to

young to remember this one)....but way back when the big conventions were held in places like Yankee Stadium, they set up tent cities and portable bathrooms on the nearby Polo Grounds. I was about

three and remember standing eye-level with a naked woman's pubic hair and being totally mortified as she nonchalantly took her shower!

• Eliveleth
    Eliveleth

I remember when I was 10 or so going from door-to-door with the doorstep set-up.

We had these wind up phonographs with huge records of Judge Rutherford's talks.

We would go up to the door, say "Good Morning, I have a record I would like to play

for you", without looking up at the person so that they could refuse, start the record.

You often looked up to find a quietly closed doorI also carried a bag of books.

I must have been a funny sight, struggling up steps with this load.

I am sorry we got rid of that old brown phonograph, I saw one go on Ebay for several

hundreds of dollars. Dang! we had several of those. hee hee

Love and hugs,

Velta

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

"Egg McMuffins" wrapped in tin foil.

The plastic folder we used to display the mags in street work, at 6 f*ckin' AM!

Metal holder for the house to house record slip.

momz

• journey-on
    journey-on

Eliveleth....you're going way-y-y back there. It's amazing how much "flea market" history of Jehovah's Witnesses is right here on JWD.

Anybody remember booklets?....not tracts, but booklets that were about 1/4 - 1/3 inch thick.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit