Why does an atheist have to disprove anything?

by digderidoo 69 Replies latest jw friends

• John Doe
    John Doe

For the atheists, here's a facebook group to join. ;-) http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=9972923762

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

Galileo asks some soul searching questions.

The Oracle

• parakeet
    parakeet

Believer: Look at that! My lawn furniture, grill, and bird feeders were knocked over and damaged during the night. Someone must have trespassed and vandalized my yard!

Atheist: How do you know for sure that a person did this? I don't see any footprints, and your fence gate is still locked.

Believer: Well, just look at this mess! Someone must be responsible for it. There's simply no other explanation.

Atheist: Maybe you slept through it, but there was a bad storm last night with 50 mph flat-line winds. Do you think the storm might have been responsible for the damage?

Believer: No, I just KNOW that a human being is responsible for this. I know in my heart I'm right.

Atheist: Well, better call the police then.

Police officer (after investigating the damage and aware of last night's storm): "Mr. B, sorry for the mess your yard's in, but unless you can provide evidence that will stand up in a court of law, you have no proof that anyone was in your yard last night. The most likely explanation is that the storm caused the damage. The onus of proof is on YOU to provide solid evidence that will convince an impartial jury that a vandal caused all this damage. I've checked out your yard -- there's no evidence that a vandal did this. There's plenty of evidence the storm did this. If you need to call us again, please be sure you can back up your assertions with facts. Otherwise, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Atheist: Sorry, dude. But I did warn you.

Believer: I don't care what you or the police say. I do believe in vandals, I do, I do, I DO believe in vandals.

Atheist: Sigh.

• logic&reason
    logic&reason

Continuation of Parakeet's post:

Believer: Vandals will destroy you for not believing in them.

Athiest: Sure... I'll watch out for that.

• real one
    real one

You are a total moron.

um did you forget about Hitler? all that were killed here out number what you speak of

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I have noticed alot of debate in posts lately between an atheist argument and a christian one. It seems to me that the atheist is asked to disprove God's existence. Some times these debates have started to get personal with one side attacking the other with insults and i do not want to start another argument like these.

But i dont get it? Why should atheists have to defend themselves for believing God doesn't exist? As there is no hard evidence for an existence in God, surely it should be the Christian who would have to defend his stance.

Paul

The real question is "What is the meaning/origin/purpose/fate of life"? People who would argue with an athiest are basically saying that just because you don't think the answer is "there is a humanoid supernatural person who did all this and is watching us now", that does not mean an Athiest can dodge the "well what is the answer then? retort.

For many people, like myself, whatever the answer is, is "god". There is some story, some chain of events, some truth that really happened to cause me to be here now. Whatever that truth is is "creation" whatever "originated" the happening is "god", that doesn't mean I disagree with Athiests about anything. Athiests get the same treatment as the religious from me. I don't know, and you don't either, so wipe that air of certainty off your face, roll up your sleeves and really work on the question like I do. No hand waving allowed.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light

I do fully appreciate the "flying spaghetti monster" analogy, though, no I don't think any Athiest is obliged to "prove" that Zeus is not the man in charge. That isn't the end of the story, though. You can be right and not win the debate. I still don't have a positive answer/explanation out of you, so no smug certainty is allowed.

• Bring_the_Light
    Bring_the_Light
    Believer: Look at that! My lawn furniture, grill, and bird feeders were knocked over and damaged during the night. Someone must have trespassed and vandalized my yard!

Atheist: How do you know for sure that a person did this? I don't see any footprints, and your fence gate is still locked.

Believer: Well, just look at this mess! Someone must be responsible for it. There's simply no other explanation.

Atheist: Maybe you slept through it, but there was a bad storm last night with 50 mph flat-line winds. Do you think the storm might have been responsible for the damage?

Believer: No, I just KNOW that a human being is responsible for this. I know in my heart I'm right.

Atheist: Well, better call the police then.

Police officer (after investigating the damage and aware of last night's storm): "Mr. B, sorry for the mess your yard's in, but unless you can provide evidence that will stand up in a court of law, you have no proof that anyone was in your yard last night. The most likely explanation is that the storm caused the damage. The onus of proof is on YOU to provide solid evidence that will convince an impartial jury that a vandal caused all this damage. I've checked out your yard -- there's no evidence that a vandal did this. There's plenty of evidence the storm did this. If you need to call us again, please be sure you can back up your assertions with facts. Otherwise, you're just wasting everyone's time.

Atheist: Sorry, dude. But I did warn you.

Believer: I don't care what you or the police say. I do believe in vandals, I do, I do, I DO believe in vandals.

Atheist: Sigh.

Yeah, I'll concede further, Athiests are a step up the food chain from theists. I still assert that no-holds-barred unyielding Agnosticism is the place to be. We're the only in the bunch who can be sure we aren't wrong.

• Shawn10538
    Shawn10538

Amen.

• Galileo
    Galileo
    um did you forget about Hitler? all that were killed here out number what you speak of

“I may not be a light of the church, a pulpiteer, but deep down I am a pious man, and believe that whoever fights bravely in defense of the natural laws framed by God and never capitulates will never be deserted by the Lawgiver, but will, in the end, receive the blessings of Providence.” -Adolf Hitler

“I am now as before a Catholic and will always remain so.” -Adolph Hitler

I could go on with these quotes for many pages.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit