Why does an atheist have to disprove anything?

by digderidoo 69 Replies latest jw friends

• The Oracle
    The Oracle
    religion doesn't really have a great track record when you look at everything obvectively does it?

Atheism does?

Humans have a lousy track record, regardless of persuasion, and atheist public policy is also stained.

I could be wrong Burn, but I don't remember reading about groups of atheists banding together to go exterminate another group of people.

Of course that is not the point. The point was "religion doesn't really have a great track record when you look at everything objectively". I didn't say anything about atheism.

The Oracle

• real one
    real one

Because God(s) 'exist(s)' in the unknown areas the burden of proof will almost always lie with the one trying to wrest god from the gap in our knowledge and fill that area with testable theories. It has been that way since the Ionians, and probably will be until long after we are all gone.

So if God came and spoke to me how would I prove that to you?

• real one
    real one

I could be wrong Burn, but I don't remember reading about groups of atheists banding together to go exterminate another group of people.

you are wrong. they found her and her son buried

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

a tape recording would be a good start...

or perhaps a second witness ...

any circumstantial evidence of any kind?

Nothing too fancy would be required, but you'll have to forgive us for not just taking your word for it.

The Oracle

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

that sounds terrible.

What happened?

• Galileo
    Galileo

Atheism does?

Humans have a lousy track record, regardless of persuasion, and atheist public policy is also stained.

Stalin was a maniac that happened to be an atheist. If you think that atheists are more likely than believers to commit heinous acts, than there should be a huge percentage of members of the National Academy of Sciences that are rapists and muderers, since 93% of them don't believe in a personal god. Do you suppose the vast majority of the prison population are atheists or believers?

• The Oracle
    The Oracle

i am guessing that most are deeply religious...

do I win a prize, for a correct answer?

The Oracle

• Galileo
    Galileo
    you are wrong. they found her and her son buried

Are you talking about Madeline Murray O haire? She ws murdered for a large amount of gold coins that she had. It had nothing to do with ideology, but for some reason believers like to think it was because she was a prominent atheist.

• real one
    real one

O'Hair

• rmt1
    rmt1

The book "Rare Earth" lists several interesting coincidences required for sentient / intelligent life to arise. I won't say that it has made me a fallen atheist. But it has allowed me to /not/ want to bite the head off the shoulders of every idiot spouting that there's some cumulonimbus herm up there. But this change of attitude also is not acknowledgment of creationists' insistence on some divinity without having put in hard time studying the scientific underpinnings of their otherwise rather improbable existence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit