Why does an atheist have to disprove anything?

by digderidoo 69 Replies latest jw friends

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

I have noticed alot of debate in posts lately between an atheist argument and a christian one. It seems to me that the atheist is asked to disprove God's existence. Some times these debates have started to get personal with one side attacking the other with insults and i do not want to start another argument like these.

But i dont get it? Why should atheists have to defend themselves for believing God doesn't exist? As there is no hard evidence for an existence in God, surely it should be the Christian who would have to defend his stance.

Paul

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

A similar thought occurred to me earlier today. But since when has humanity done things the way they should be?

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Why does an atheist have to disprove anything?

It's true. But we see a lot of threads where atheists try to disprove that God exists. Atheism is a universal negative, how can one know for a certainty that something does not exist without infinite knowledge? It can't be disproved, so the shoe is on the other foot. Agnosticism seems the only postion that reason alone can lead, or perhaps some form of deism.

BTS

• digderidoo
    digderidoo

It is something that has baffled me for some time. I am of the opinion that all creationalists point of view is just a thoery, normally based on centuries of theories. But a creationalists argument against an atheist tends to go along the lines of attacking the evolution theory, again just a theory.

In my agnostic opinion an atheist doesn't have to attempt to prove anything to anyone.

Paul

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    In my agnostic opinion an atheist doesn't have to attempt to prove anything to anyone

By my reckoning that's a two way street.

But I am a theist (who accepts evolution).

BTS

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

I suppose nobody has to prove anything. But when people believe what certain humans of millennia ago wrote down I feel the burden of proof should be on the believer in an objective discussion.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

I think ultimately the person who needs to prove something isn't the believer or the nonbeliever; it's God. When he can prove his existence, then there will be no athiests. And, since God is purportedly a supreme being who is all-powerful, that shouldn't be a hard thing for him to do. Until that happens, I think the atheists are winning the argument by default.

• real one
    real one

I think ultimately the person who needs to prove something isn't the believer or the nonbeliever; it's God. When he can prove his existence, then there will be no athiests. And, since God is purportedly a supreme being who is all-powerful, that shouldn't be a hard thing for him to do. Until that happens, I think the atheists are winning the argument by default. Thats where your wrong! Look around you. You have eyes but do not see. The glorious God is the only ruler, the King of Kings and Lord of Lords. At the time that God has already decided, he will send Jesus christ back again. Only God lives forever! And he lives in light that no one man can come near. No human has ever seen God or ever can see him. God will be honored, and his power will last forever. Amen. Warn the rich people of this world not to be proud or to trust in wealth that is easily lost. Tell them to have faith in God, who is rich and blesses us with everything we need to enjoy life. In- struct them to do as many good deeds as they can and to help everyone. Re- mind the rich to be generous and share what they have. This will lay a soild foundation for the future, so that they will know what true life is like. Timothy, guard what God has placed in your care! Don't pay any attention to that godless and stupid talk that sounds smart but really isnt. Some people have even lost their faith by believing this talk. I pray that the Lord will be kind to all of you!

• real one
    real one

1 Timothy 6,15-21

• nvrgnbk
    nvrgnbk
    atheists try to disprove that God exists

Wrong.

We point out that there is no evidence to support the position that God exists.

Why do we care?

Because people that do believe affect public policy.

Their belief, almost universally accompanied by some sort of religious dogma, is in this way forced upon those that simply note that there is no God to be found.

If there was a God that got things going here, he seems to be busy worrying about some other planet at the moment.

When he can prove his existence, then there will be no athiests.

That really says it all.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit