Prediction: Poorest attended DC's in recent history in 2008

by oompa 18 Replies latest jw friends

• oompa
    oompa

People in the USA are changing their eating habits already, and their driving habits of course. There are many fairly poor JW's in this country, many with no health insurance, old clunker cars and just barely getting by. The cost of so many things is getting ready to explode, especially consumables.....all delivered by ship, train, plane, and truck. With "nothing new under the sun" how many may just sit a lot of this one out?...........................I'm not happy about it....the prices and people hurting anyway............oompa

and BTW, have JW's lost a home to foreclosure yet...how could the congo let that happen???

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

Not only is it more expensive, but the benefits are zero. With people trying to hold onto jobs (some with two jobs), they are not going to make time for a Grand Boasting Session where all they are going to hear is what they have heard every single time in the past 50 years.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

Don't be surprised if they pull a trick. I thought this might not happen until 2009, but it
    could happen this year. They will send out some last-minute letter to inform everyone
    that the only way to get the new releases will be to attend the DC. They can say that
    production is limited to JW's only, and it will not be delivered to the halls.

If such announcement were to come out, it would have to be in MAY, as the DC's will
    start up.

Otherwise, yes. Many will skip the DC. Since there is really no way of tracking folks,
    many skip anyway. As groups get smaller, I see them switching to using the Assembly
    Halls for the DC's when all [less than 2000] can be accomodated in one Hall.
    More money will stay in-company that way.

• blondie
    blondie

People have to travel farther and the accommodations are worn and bug-ridden. Some were willing to drive 1.5 hours one way rather than stay overnight. With gas prices the way they are, I wonder............

• Bobbi
    Bobbi

This is the first year I am not stressing getting to the DC. I don't have to worry about clothes and money for gas. I am not panicking about trying to convince Para to go or dealing with my monster in law who wants everything perfect but refused to help.

We are using our "DC" money to go to a Peach Festival in august. Way more fun!!

I love being an apostate!!

Bobbi

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Our DC will be 5 people short. For the first time in our lives we are missing the DC, and it feels GREAT.

momz

• Gregor
    Gregor

Another tactic they can use to increase attendance is to leak a back channel rumor that there will be a 'special announcement'.

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

I think it's likely that in the next couple of years you will see them drop Friday from the district conventions.

I have only been around since the early 80s, but I remember when the conventions were four days, Thursday through Sunday (I can only imagine what the week long conventions were like). I was a kid then, though, so it was exciting to me because I would hang out with my JW friends at the hotel after the program. I also enjoyed the pack lunches that the Society provided. As an adult, though, I am sure that was very difficult. Economics in the 80s were not easy and I am sure that was part of the reason for the loss of Thursday.

If economic conditions worldwide start to go into the toilet and gas continues to go up, expect Friday to disappear, my guess by 2010 if not before. But I am not a prophet so don't hold me to that!!

er

• wings
    wings
    For the first time in our lives we are missing the DC, and it feels GREAT

life is good momz......

This will be my third year. Just knowing what you are missing makes it so much more enjoyable!!! The memories of the stress and the money and the THREE days of DRY talks!!!! We had six kids in the early years, two hotel rooms, new dresses for the girls X 3 days, snacks, lunches, eating out, trying to keep the kids together in the evenings, trying to keep them from running wild in the hotel with their buddies (our kids were always up to trouble), just agreeing on where to sit, how to sleep the little ones.....YIKES, I'm done.

It is indeed a wonderful experience to miss.

wings

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

JWs go to conventions to:

1) Work it, looking for a mate

2) To get the hell away from work for awhile, and maybe get fired for the effort

3) To eat and party with fellow JWs they only see once a year, and lunch is the highlight of the day followed by napping during the experiences part of the program

4) To see the drama, and only the dramas where they dress out in togas...none of this modern day application shyte

5) ...get it over with

NOBODY in their right minds goes there for information unless they have NEVER been to one before.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit