I went head to head with my family and I lost

by noontide 37 Replies latest jw friends

• Jim_TX
    Jim_TX
    "Who constituted God's "organization" in 1878? Wasn't CT Russell committing apostasy by breaking away from them and starting his own religious magazine?"

Good point! Plus - if there WAS a 'god-approved' organization that existed back then - that god removed his approval from after Russell started his new religion - who is to say that god has not done exactly that again - removing his approval from the WTBTS - and extending it to yet another religion that ismore closely following his rules?

(I didn't say that quite right... but I think that you may get the idea...)

Regards,

Jim TX

• lfcviking
    lfcviking
    That sounds like and apostate thought
    independent thoughts will lead me to death;
    I am fulfilling Satan’s wishes
    you have independent thoughts just like Satan

With comments like this, this sounds like a full on attempt to try and scare you back into the fold. These comments sound judgemental, intimidating & manipulative. To have this coming from your entire family, i really do feel for you.

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

Welcome, Noontide, and I'm sorry for what you are going through.

Quote: "Still, what a wonderful provision Jehovah has made! Kick your family to the curb if they don’t agree with everything his “Slave” says."

What a wonderful provision, is right... not. Agh.

You made wonderful points... but your loved-ones are brainwashed.

Be strong. It DOES get better.

Love,
    Baba.

• noontide
    noontide

Switch said – “My mom reminded me that I made a vow to Jehovah and I'd be breaking that if I didn't listen to the organization. (The org. and Jehovah are inseparable to her too).”

This is the same thing they kept saying, very annoying. It’s all or nothing. They also kept asking where I got my ideas; it was obvious I had been influenced by outside thoughts. I told them my information came from the publications of the Watchtower, past and present. They said I was not qualified to read them by myself, no one is, and that is why I should be attending the meetings because it is explained to us at the meetings. So apparently, even if I read their publications I am too stupid to understand them and it should be avoided. That’s rich!

Thanks for your support guys. I know I don’t post much, but I feel like I know quite a few of you from your posts. I really appreciate your input on matters such as these. I still don’t know what to make of all this. Apparently I’m breaking my parents heart and tearing the family apart. What a jerk I am, I guess trying to be a good person is for naught if your mind is not molded to their specifications. Oh well, I guess it’s time to find a girlfriend, make some friends and move on with my life. Sad that my family won’t see it, their choice, not mine.

• V
    V
    Children baptized at a young age (7,8,9 years old) they are not old enough or mature enough to comprehend what they are doing.

If Jehovah did not approve of this, the Slave would have changed this a long time ago. They are old enough to comprehend what they are doing (marriage is completely different, it does not apply here).

Wrong, marriage does apply here and is lesssignificant than baptism because dedication/baptism does not end at death. In addition the Watchtower has repeatedly enforced that youth are not ready for marriage because they do not have the skill or experience of adults.

Try watching the Watchtower Comments videos and see if that helps your tactics: www.youtube.com/wtcomments

The next video will be addressing JW youth baptism directly.

• Tired of the Hypocrisy
    Tired of the Hypocrisy

Noontide, you won. You just don't realize it yet. You stood up and voiced yourself and in good conscience you took a stand for your beliefs. Right or wrong you did what many people, myself included find impossible to do....Confront our families for fear of losing them.

I applaud your effort.

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

"was not qualified to read them by myself, no one is" - give me a break. It's so amazing that people can't see through that stuff. Proves how powerful mind control can be. I'm sorry you feel so badly right now - I suppose you'll always miss your family, but you will also go out and make a happy life for yourself. Go and think independently - live a free life - get more education - travel the world - hell it's a wonderful life even if there are bumpy bits.

• easyreader1970
    easyreader1970

It is not really possible to have an actual debate with a JW and I don't try. Sometimes I just bring points up to my wife and then leave them at that. In the past, if I have tried to make a point that was in the least bit contradictory to what the Society said, I was "bordering on apostasy" to use her words. She has been programmed well. She is very intelligent, got top honors in college (whoops, did I say she went to college?), discovered that human philosophy is Satan, and that everything the WBTS says is right. Period. It doesn't matter if you have evidence to the contrary. Human logic is flawed because it cannot correctly factor in the Divine.

• Mightyone
    Mightyone

It is great that you can be so frank with your family. That being said, let me say that you are correct in most of your points. Children should be aware and mature enough. There is no set age at which that happens. I know some that were baptized very young and are and have always done very well, I also know some that waited and after many years don't grasp the meaning of baptism.

We should preach from the heart, love of neighbor is our motive along with love of God....We only report, so that we can be encouraged by the progress that is being made in the preaching work..."interchange of encouragement." The Organization does not specify the number of hours we shoud turn in, we are encouraged to reach at least the national average because, face it, we all have other things that we allow to get in the way of our WHOLESOULED service to God.

We should use our heads and reason on things using the scriptures. Do you know how many people will still ask for your personal opinion and use that as their guide instead of what the bible says...That is why, when we come to an accurate conclusion, based on the bible, it is ultimately between us and Jehovah...That includes whether or not we agree with the slave..However, if you place doubts which cause a stumbling to someone...that is also a matter between you and Jehovah..

God is a God of order, not disorder. The apostles kept in contact with the various congregations in the first century. The sent letters of readjustment when needed...We do the same thing today...Many people are unable to motivate themselves, govern themselves, upbuild themselves, teach themselves...this is primarily the reason for and organized religion. It provides structure for those that cannot structure themselves..

You are somewhat correct, the slave is not infallable. They do make mistakes, because they are human. If you have ever spoke to one or a few of the G.B. they will tell you that. They also do not even try to pretend that their findings are the last word...Even if they did, The bible is still the ultimate authority..Lets talk about 1935..Lets not..is there any doubt that we are living in the last days? How long will the last days last? Who knows...."only the Father" Jesus himself said that..we are supposed to serve with a whole heart, soul, mind,,,if that is truely the case, then who cares when the end will come...Bottom line, even if we do figure it out, we will still be wrong. Only the Father knows..

Your family's reaction is knee jerk unfortunately like alot of others in the truth, do remember though that although you may or may not agree with them, they do love you and they do really believe that what they are trying to teach you is the best for you.

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

What Joy said sweetie. I AM SO VERY PROUD OF YOU. I am lucky enough to not have family in and my heart goes out to you. This board has kept me sane We love and support each other here. You are never alone. We've got your back.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit