I went head to head with my family and I lost

by noontide 37 Replies latest jw friends

• flipper
    flipper

NOONTIDE- I feel for you friend having to deal with " mind controlled " people . Remember - they are programmed like robots to believe what they do. It's like beating your head against a brick wall at times with them. Perhaps if you get a chance another time - try taking control of the conversation and make them stick to one point , and one point only. Witnesses hate this. They like to make you jump around to different points till you are exhausted and don't want to debate anymore.

For instance - Do some research on the Watchtower child abuse lawsuit scandals that took place last year. Get some news media printouts and show them the NBC news release about the 16 JW children who were molested, how it was settled out of court , and how the society covered it up for years ! Then show them Romans 13 : 1 which says they are supposed to be , " in subjection to the superior authorities , because God has set these in place to punish wrongdoers. " How can the authorities do this - when the Watchtower society has prevented elders and others from going to law enforcement authorities so pedphiles can be prosecuted ? It doesn't have anything to do with imperfection - it involves obeying God's commands to not hinder, but let the superior authorities do their job !

So, this is just 1 example of something you could use to show them that yes, you have real concerns about the way the organization does things , because they are not obeying Jehovah on issues. Good luck to you, hang in there ! Peace out, Mr. Flipper

• Gopher
    Gopher
    What a jerk I am, I guess trying to be a good person is for naught if your mind is not molded to their specifications.

There's just no pleasing some people. Or put another way, you can only be friends/family with them on THEIR narrow terms. (As you know, you're not the one being a jerk here. It's taught to them by their religion.)

Oh well, I guess it’s time to find a girlfriend, make some friends and move on with my life. Sad that my family won’t see it, their choice, not mine.

This is the hardest part, the acceptance of the fact that we have to move on in life without people who are trapped in a narrow way of life. I have to accept that I am practically an orphan, and my parents will spend the rest of their years reinforcing the wall between me and them.

But actually, your family is missing a lot by not accepting you. It's their loss, but you cannot make someone treat you with love.

• Lantana
    Lantana

What you did took a lot of courage, to stand up to your family and challenge them. Bravo! I wouldn't dare do the same, and I only have JW friends not family.
    Your opening paragraph made my heart sink. I wish you all the best on life after the witnesses.

Jim.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Noontide,

I have to say I'm proud of you. What you did took courage. Standing up for your beliefs and thoughts in the face of strong opposition is not easy. Good for you.

Terry's post was right on.

Also, use the WTCD and pull some quotes out about researching your religion to make sure what you believe is true. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Junction-Guy
    Junction-Guy

You just never know, you may have planted some seeds of doubt in them, I would't call you a loser in this situation, the fact that they even debated with you for 3 hours is a positive.

Keep your chin up, but next time have a backup partner with you, nothing like tag-teaming with JW's.

• TD
    TD

I went head to head with my family and I lost

Don't take it to heart. You could go head to head with a fence post and lose too.

(No offense to your family intended)

• greendawn
    greendawn

There is some heavy handed cultic thinking in what they told you. What proof is there that they are the only true organisation in the world? Sounds like cheap propaganda to me. God won't accept anyone unless they become part of the watchtower society! Very grandiose, audacious and transparently false an obvious marketing ploy to attract members.

And why doesn't god get it right with his FDS for once so that he will not keep on putting out misleading information that messes up people's lives? Doesn't sound like an authentic divine arrangement this hopelessly muddled FDS.

• JK666
    JK666

noontide,

You didn't lose, it is just a game that you cannot win. You are powerless over other people's thoughts (or lack of them).

JK

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit