Why I Do What I Do - Randy Watters

by Dogpatch 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Moe:

Are you responding in Randy's behalf? If the man has the courage to perform his work publicly, I imagine he is capable of rejecting honest inquiries on his very own.

I certainly would not attempt to speak in your behalf, unless it was requested. I applaude his courage and realize he has faced many consequences for leaving the WTBS. I refuse to disrespect him or attack his dignity, I am just curious about his background since leaving the WTBS. Does this meet with your approval?

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Randy,

As I have told you in the past, your site was a great help to me. I remember listening to the audio of Ray Franz and Ed Dunlap and thinking I agree with these guys more than anyone on my present body of elders. While there were some things that SEEMED sarcastic to me your site was much more reasonable than others I had seen. And incorporating a little humor at least lets the visiting JW see the “apostates” are not all somber, heartless morons.

I appreciate you story above

quote:"The first began at Bethel in our private Bible studies after the Monday night Watchtower Study for the Bethel family. I was using The Living Bible for a breath of fresh air, having read the New World Translation through several times. The poring over Romans and Galatians, and the subsequent discovery of the meaning of salvation by grace ("undeserved kindness" according to Witnesses) was by far the most incredible and world-shaking event of my life."

That is one I could talk all day about, but I’m trying not to sound like an evangelist. I’m not sure of a lot things anymore, but understanding the Bible teaching of ‘justification’ with God, grace, is an important issue to understand. There are 600,000,000 JWs who do not feel right with God and that is an atrocity.

Thanks for share that letter.

Jst2laws

• D wiltshire
    D wiltshire

Randy,

I too have benifited from your site.
    At first, when still a JW I thought your site was a little too much and that you had an ax to grind (typical JW thinking about anything critical of the Org.).
    I also felt the same about Ray Franz too.
    I thought since you were connected to other sites that you must have the same veiws as these sites as well. Latter on I realized that you did not, and that the thing you have in common with these other sites is a detestation of WT Hypocrisy.
    I hope your site will continue as it holds a wealth of important information for JW's and others.

Your work is very much appreciated.

If someone lived a trillion X longer than you, and had a billion X more reasoning ability would he come to the same conclusions as you?
  • dannyboy
    dannyboy

Randy,

I think you do a good job.

Before I left the witness world after many decades, I "looked around" the net a bit out of curiosity, peering into the edge of what my dub-conditioned mind told me was an abyss of lies and half-truths. I found your websites to be very informative and thought-provoking. The key to helping witnesses, IMHO, is to get them to think objectively. An enormous challenge to get around the witness programming. I sincerely commend you for your tireless efforts.

I distinctly recall visiting another popular site where I was REALLY put-off by the sarcastic and mean-spirited tone. To me at the time, it came across quite negatively. Today, I understand where the owner of that website is coming from, but the point I'm hitting on here is that if the goal is to reach out and positively affect the life of a current witness, the tone has got to be respectful.

I think you're doing that.

What suggestions do I have? Well, since you asked: With the mindset and preconceived fears of the typical JW browser, perhaps a modified web page design, with much less on the *first* page. I know such comments are highly subjective, but I really think a change would appeal even more to your target audience.

Another suggestion from me would be to copy the JW approach and leave the more striking stuff out. For example and again keeping the target audience in mind, consider how "off the wall" the comments from the former translators would sound to a typical witness. A witness wouldn't go door-to-door emphasizing the "blood issue" or the "flag salute" issue (even though they are deeply held beliefs), so I'm suggesting a similar concept. I don't mean to suggest that you haven't considered this angle, it's just my two cents worth.

I disagree that your main website comes accross as sort of self-serving. On the contrary, I think it's the opposite. Also, I note you try hard to use JW terminology, the lack of which would jump right out at a perusing witness.

Keep up the good work, Randy.

---Danny

• badwillie
    badwillie

Randy,
    You remember when I first read info on your site, I just HAD to call you. It was important for me to speak personally to the one who had written/collated these things. I, and my wife, talked to you several times over the phone in those first few weeks. You were ALWAYS available to us. You were interested in US, and we could feel that sincerity. You never coerced us in any way to accept whatever belief you personally had. In fact, I never asked you what you had come to believe since leaving the org, and you never mentioned it either. It just didn't matter. Your compassion, insight, and love for what is right and just proved to be a huge catalyst for us in making up our minds about the WT organization. This attitude stood in stark contrast to that which we had experienced within the JW's. Your unselfishly giving of yourself to help us to that point is appreciated VERY much! Thank you again, and again, and again!
    Keep up the good work, brother.
    - BadWillie.

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

Utopian: No - no. It's not about my approval, sorry you misunderstood me. I just find it offensive when people have to ask questions about people's sexual preferences, as if that makes a difference what sort of person they are. I have a great deal of respect for Randy and all that he has done, nothing more nothing less.

• Simon
    Simon

I too am one of those that was helped by Randy's site which I found very useful.

I would definitely agree that when people first start looking, the 'least bitter' sites are the ones that are most readable at first. The stronger stuff is needed but can too easily put people off.

Freeminds always seemd quite reasonable / friendly to me.

Thanks for the work you do Randy.

• Dino
    Dino

Hello Randy. I have never told you personally how your website helped my wife's thinking as she was beginning to "see the light". The recorded interviews really helped her in a way that you cant imagine.
    She is now fully supportive of my cause and I wanted to thank you for your role in that. There is a need for directness when dealing with JW's, without extreme bitterness, and I think your website accomplishes that goal.

The society's works based path to salvation always left me exhausted,unsatisfied and insecure about my own relationship with God. Then, in reading Romans chapter 8 in a six parallel New Testament and comparing the first verse in those translations with the NW translation, I began my own journey for truth which continues today. The secret NW translation commitee had to change Romans 8:1 to fit their reasoning that Jesus' sacrifice was only a down payment on a 1000 year mortgage, where the loan could be called in at any time. Like you,coming to a correct understanding of that has changed my life.

I was not aware that you have Crohn's disease. That can leave one debilitated. You will be in my prayers.

Lastly I was impressed with the way you handled that question from the impetuous poster about your sexuality. He obviously knew that you would never adopt that lifestyle and cant defend asking that irrelevant question or he would have done so by now. You handled it without a vitriolic counterattack.

While we are on the subject of Romans chapter 8, might I encourage to read verse 31 and take comfort in that. I will contact you privately in the future to offer my services in some small way.

Keep the Faith, Dino

• California Sunshine
    California Sunshine

Dearest Randy,

Thank you a thousand times for all the hard work you have done.

When I discovered your site I was searching for so many answers.

I don't have them all yet but I've made so much progress, thanks to you and the posters at this site as well.

I feel I'm part of a family

Sunny

• Cygnus
    Cygnus

Rex,

: I am beginning to suspect you are a real jerk.

You're right!

: you did it because Randy is a born again Christian.

You're wrong!

I think Randy is the bomb!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit