Why I Do What I Do - Randy Watters

by Dogpatch 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hey all! So many nice responses, I thank all of you including Simon, Dino, Sunny, John W., Farkel, Rex, Lilacs, Abaddon, tdogg, Littletoe, Room215, MrMoe, Just2laws, D Wiltshire, and dannyboy. I did not take Cygnus comments as an attack, but it is a tacky question to ask a person in a public forum. :-))

To Utopian,
    I call the incident that happened in 1980 as the Franz Incident because it is descriptive. Yet it is every bit my story as much as Ray's,
    for the following reasons:
    1) I was a Bethel elder and heard most of the same lines from the GB members as Ray did during the Bethel elders meetings, which were not family affairs. Most of my notes from the tract at:
    http://www.freeminds.org/history/whathapp.htm
    were taken from my own handwritten notes during those meetings. I also attended several that Ray did not, since he left early on during that time. I wrote about a lot of stuff that happened there that he missed. Yet we all add some things. I was the first ex-JW to write about what happened then, a year before Ray's book came out. So I am not riding on anyone's "fame." It is my story. It is Tom Cabeen's story. It is Cris and Norma Sanchez' story.

As far as training, there is no school to learn exit-counseling. You learn it as an apprentice, and that is hard to do, since the teacher has to want to train you and you have to be good with all kinds of people. That is the main training, along with a good knowledge of cults and their methods. For several years I spent about $100 a month on books to learn many related topics. Univ. training? No, just high school. I suppose it would help in taking classes on psychology, but it is not a field I wanted to do full-time, and I have been successful so far, so no worries to me.

Steven Hassan and I did host a training class for exit-counseling, and we even offer the videos of the class for those who wish to learn. Steve has a few degrees.
    Thanks to all of you, and for the web suggestions. I will do some in the days ahead.
    yours,
    Randy

• waiting
    waiting

Howdy Randy,

You were the first bonafide apostate I ever talked to - I was petrified! I think my voice actually quivered on the phone - how lame. I just wasn't quite sure if lightening was going to strike me or not. Btw, you were extremely nice to me. Thank you.

I was reading in the "Idiot's Guide to Religion" about Jehovah's Witnesses. At the end, it gave the official WTBTS website. And then an interesting sidenote: "No other religion has so many anti-sites than Jehovah's Witnesses. One of the less bitter is Freeminds."(paraphrasing.) Then listed your website address.

Btw, I didn't buy that book - but have bought plenty of your writings. Well worth the money - learned much - then sent them to my sister, Patio, after she called to inform me that she wasn't going to any more meetings.

waiting

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hey Randy,when I first got my computer a few months ago,yours was the fist X-dub site I had ever seen.Not only did you have tons of information,you had links to other sites as well.Do you know what I found?People!Hundreds of them,thousands of them,with experiences just like mine!We are not a small group,and we are growing!I believe this thing will become bigger than anyone imagined.I want to thank you,SIMON and KENT for providing a place for us to come to,share information and talk to each other...OUTLAW

• Prisca
    Prisca

When I first read this thread yesterday, I was worried that it was going to degenerate into a discussion about Randy's sexuality. (with a name like Randy, how could it not?? - Aussie joke there! )

I found Randy's site to be the most interesting and least bitter of all the ex-jw sites I came across when I finally became brave enough to look at such sites. I still haven't been struck by lightning so I guess God still approves of me

One feature that I really appreciate is the ability to order books and other materials on Randy's site. For someone who does NOT live in the ole US of A, these books are extremely hard to find, yet with a click of a button I can order them from Randy (he even hand-writes "thank you" on the invoice!)

So thank you Randy from the bottom of my heart for all you do, and especially for your web-site. I will always be appreciative for the help it provided when I was leaving the JWs.

• gumby
    gumby

Hi randy....you always put things in a kind way. I wondered about this comment from you however
    Quote:"For many, it is my personal opinion that they should stay where they are, as it does preserve sanity for some people, for many reasons."
    Randy....my question is..why you would want anyone to stay in this cult? If they leave god upon coming out of the dubs or go into some strange belief system upon exiting...then I can see your point....they may be better off where they are at.But if there is a chance for them to see the true gospel, then they all need out.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Thank you very much, Randy! Thanks for clearing things up a bit. Like many new adventurers on their way out of the WTBS, I wasn't able to find compatibility with your web-site back then, but now after hearing about your changes, and the events that took place after RAY FRANZ departed, I better understand your focus.

I appreciate your hard work and courage, as I have mentioned numerous times. You have alot of guts and you still care about people. I couldn't become one particle of an atom of the type of christian who still believes and still gives humans a chance.

About your education, I was only curious because of the title "exit counselor". Thx for updating me and I look forward to all of the changes! best wishes and agape

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

jst2laws said:

There are 600,000,000 JWs

Now there's a horrible thought!

--
    Those who can induce you to believe absurdities can induce you to commit attrocities - Voltaire

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Hi Waiting,
    You can see the comment from The Complete Idiot's Guide to Religions Online at:

Thanks Outlaw!
    Prisca might want to check out my really randy site at:
    http://www.randytv.com
    :-))

Gumby: Some people are mentally imbalanced and need a structure or community to survive, and some of these will never pursue another faith. Better to stay in than jump off a bridge. Beleive me, there are many dubs like that. For others, they might stay in for family reasons but can still bide their time growing. Sooner or later they may get out, but many need counseling and will never receive it. Many others are ripe for a new life, and those are the ones that will leave. The Watchtower is, after all, a family, albeit an abusive one. Some people become very self-destructive without a family to be accountable to.

Utopian: thanks friend! Peace.

• Prisca
    Prisca

LOL @ Randy - thanks for the link mate!

BTW, for those not familiar with Aussie lingo, "randy" in Australia means someone who is sexually promiscuous, constantly "on heat", and/or whose mind is constantly preoccupied with sex.

Legal note: this is not to say that Randal Watters is any of the above. His sexuality, and his sexual exploits, is his business!

• Simon
    Simon

I forgot the books Prisca !

I've ordered quite a few things from freeminds and have never had any problems even shipping to the US Aircraft Carrier "UK" (just a little joke). It's very useful for anyone wanting to lookup rare / informative JW material to confirm things for themselves or perhaps to better understand how to help others.

and yes, "Randy" means that here too ... sorry Randy, it makes me chuckle the same way Americans call Richard 'Dick' and came up with a film title of "Free Willy" (I remember the audience bursting into laughter when the trailer for that one came on).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit