Why I Do What I Do - Randy Watters

by Dogpatch 48 Replies latest jw friends

• Farkel
    Farkel

Greetings Randy,

: But the most common question is, "Why are you doing what you do so intensely? Is it bitterness?"

Good question to put right back at the dub questioner and his religious masters, eh, since they hate just about everyone except themselves.

: and "Where do you expect people to go?"

Of course you and I know the obvious answer to that one: the scriptural question is not "where" but "who." Dubs can't even get their scriptures right!

But, here's another possible answer to that question: "Well, just about any place is better than living in a human hell run by people who change their minds as the wind blows."

Howz that, Randy?

Farkel

"When in doubt, duck!"

• Rex B13
    Rex B13

>No offense to you or John, but, are you gay?

What was your point on that one Cygnus? I am beginning to suspect you are a real jerk. What you did was NO CLASS and if my guess is correct, you did it because Randy is a born again Christian.
    Do you ever actually contribute to this forum?
    Rex

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

No offence Cyg, but what does a persons being gay have to do with anything? Some of the best people I know are gay. My cousin is gay.

The Bible is surely correct when it states that people judge the outward appearence, while God looks at a persons heart.

Everyone, if you would get to know people for who they are and not what sex they prefer I assure you that you will find some good friends. This is said for a persons color also. Become as the blind and you will not see color but the person. To many people miss out on some wonderful friendships because of prejudice.

"LOVE" covers a mulititude of sin

"I don't want someone in my life I can live with, I want someone in my life I can't live without."

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Rex B13;

If you persist in posting in a manner that shows you to be a sane considerate human being, I might have to accept I have a malformed opinion of you. I'm not saying you care what I think, but that's the first time I've read something by you and thought 'right on!'.

I don't think it was a relevent question either.

People living in glass paradigms shouldn't throw stones...

• tdogg
    tdogg

Randy I can say that I found your web site helpful personally. However when I first began to look for such information on the web, many of the anti-JW sites,including yours,did appear to be overly bitter.Now the same info does not appear that way to me.

I think we are conditioned as JW's to resist any discord in belief so when we first are exposed to it we will tend to take the same view as the one sent you the email. Eventually his/her views will polarize and be either reinforced or refuted, but that depends on the individual.You cant save everyone.

You do a good service that is greatly appreciated by many so you can't let a few critics dictate what you do. They are only lashing out because of their own spiritual dillema. Thanks again.

• Dogpatch
    Dogpatch

Thanks tdogg,
    When you take leave from a world that is but a small subculture of a large and multiculteral universe, you look at former hood systems a little different. For me, I guess, the goal is not to lose sight of the struggles of those in the hood. Most of us really want what is better in life.
    Dogz

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

I remember stumbling across an "apostate" site about 4-5 years ago, and being repelled by the bitterness - I avoided them from that point on.

Seeking again, I stumbled across Randy's site a few months ago, emailed a few times, and received patience rather than condemnation. It went a long way to helping me survive the first few weeks seeing bitterness on this site.
    The bottom line is that there are a lot of hurting people around, and striking out doesn't help those bruised and searching.

God bless, Randy, you're doing a fine job.

• Room 215
    Room 215

Randy,

May I add my gratitude for all your hard work and the generally termperate, even-handed approach you take in dealing with a subject so sodden with emotion and strong feelings.
    I must say that I was also impressed by the nobility of thought shown by your respondent in the U.K. His/her determination to retain objectivity and fairness while at the same time turning over every stone in the search for the facts, if not the truth, is an admirable trait one which was encountered with much greater frequency among JWs years ago and which is so deplorably rare today.

• Utopian Reformist
    Utopian Reformist

Hi Randy:

I don't know you but I would like to express my opinions about your work. About 18 months ago, I visited your web-site and read as many accounts and testimonies and stories as I could. I visited several times, and after examining your material from a distance, I developed the impression that a theme existed underneath the surface.

I hope you are not offended, but I noticed you are humble and wise enough to examine constructive criticism and that is honorable. I felt as if you were somehow "riding" or profiting from the Ray Franz incident and forcibly attaching your personal story as part of the 80's purging. I may have to read Ray's account all over again and then read yours as well just for clarity.

I found that some parts of your story and your work on the web-site seem to be "postured" at attaining a status or recognition, not for personal pride ( I do not know you personally and cannot judge your character) but rather as a professional religionist critic and somewhat of an expert on these things.

I know you spent many years at Bethel and I know you are calling yourself an exit counselor and work with Steve Hassan, but I can't help but question everything in general. I apologize Randy, I know your work and journalism like Kent's and many others helps alot of people. It exposes truth and provides freedom of decision.

But I know there is something else there underneath it all. I guess that is the main gist of my opinion. It's just an opinion. Someone else here mentioned that they found your site very bitter, and I guess it may have been in the beginning, but it sounds like you are working on changing the tone for the benefit of everyone. That is commendable!

Just for curiosity's sake, are you a licensed social worker, or psychologist, or therapist of any sort? What is your educational background since the WTBS?

• MrMoe
    MrMoe

I did not find Rany's Website bitter, simply honest. The website helped me a considerable amount to sort out the facts and if it has helped me I am sure he has helped thousands.

Let's keep the personal questions to ourselves, please. Randy's personal life is not our business, no matter how much you may want him Cygnus.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit