Athiest or Agnostic?

by real one 168 Replies latest jw friends

• Gopher
    Gopher

DD --

Gopher

there are certain gods you do NOT believe in. So technically, you're an atheist in regards to those particular gods.

No! While I don't believe in everyones concept of God, I'm a theist pure and simple. It doesn't matter what my concept of god is, I'm still a theist. Atheism is a total different way of thinking.

I see you're stumbling over the word "atheist" here. Atheist means a non-believer (in a god or gods). I'm a non-believer in all gods. It seems that you are a non-believer in all gods except the Christian one. Can you accept that you're a "non-believer"? Or do you also believe in the gods of Hinduism and Native Americans, for example?

If you don't believe in the gods of Hinduism and of Native Americans, can you simply state why?

Your non-belief in those gods equates with my non-belief in the God of the Bible. You and I are both non-believers in various gods, I just extend that non-belief to one more god than you do.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

HS

It was your good self that actually introduced the concept of being able to tell God's character

Are you confusing God's nature, with God's character?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Gopher

You can redefine it if you like. Atheist means Godless or no God. Not a lack of belief in some gods. If you believe in any God you are a theist. As I said before you can't be both.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Deputy,

Are you confusing God's nature, with God's character?

Though Romans 1:20 discusses two aspects of God's 'qualities' - His/Her eternal power and divine nature, it would be disengenous to say the least that you were not suggesting that his/her 'character' was not also enmeshed in this issue. I will quote your own posts as evidence:

Romans 1:19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. Everyone knows about God.

For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men who suppress the truth in unrighteousness, 19 because that which is known about God is evident within them; for God made it evident to them. 20 For since the creation of the world His invisible attributes, His eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly seen, being understood through what has been made, so that they are without excuse.

Perhaps you might clarify what you mean by the 'nature' of God?

HS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

DD,

You're quite good at escaping questions, I hope you don't escape the following one:

Were the people referred to in Romans 1 (the part you quoted) theists or atheists by your definition?

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr
    If you believe in any God you are a theist. As I said before you can't be both.

I wonder why monotheism needs dualisms.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    I wonder why monotheism needs dualisms.

It comes in from the start.

Asa and Druj.

Burn

• hamilcarr
  • BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Hamilcarr,

Just to go back at you ( and since you want to go quantum on me.)

Allow me to remind you that the Barcas met an ignoble end.

Burn

• hamilcarr
    hamilcarr

Definition of duality

The tendency of something to behave in two very different ways, for example, as both energy and matter.
    www.scienceclarified.com/Io-Ma/Light.html

or, both theist and atheist ...

Definition of dualism

the view that each person is two entities, a mind with mental attributes and a body with physical attributes, instead of a single entity with ...
    www.filosofia.net/materiales/rec/glosaen.htm

Don't forget our ships are invincible

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit