Athiest or Agnostic?

by real one 168 Replies latest jw friends

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    As you quote me though, you don't seem to have realised -- but I won't blame that on your prefrontal cortex, maybe I wasn't clear enough -- that the main point of my replies to DD and you on this thread, down to my last post, was to show that Romans 1 is neither contextually nor theologically suitable for anti- atheist or anti- agnostic Christian diatribe (let alone effective "apologetics," for the lack of a common ground as Awakened pointed out).

IT was clear Narkissos, (although you quote Barth you do not demosntrate your point however) I merely pointed to your outline of the "orthodox" position. I am not exactly using Romans 1:20 as an anti-anything diatribe, but HS is using it to prove (or abuse) a point so I am using it in that context. Romans 1 is neither contextually nor theologically suitable for anti-theist or anti-Christian diatribe either.

BTS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

DD introduced Romans 1 to this thread about atheism and agnosticism on page 1, to brand both stances as inconsistent if not dishonest.

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    DD introduced Romans 1 to this thread about atheism and agnosticism on page 1, to brand both stances as inconsistent if not dishonest

It is hard to concentrate with a child crawling on my lap and a wife at the foot of the stairs asking for this that and everything. Sorry

BTS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

IT was clear Narkissos, (although you quote Barth you do not demosntrate your point however) I merely pointed to your outline of the "orthodox" position. I am not exactly using Romans 1:20 as an anti-anything diatribe, but HS is using it to prove (or abuse) a point so I am using it in that context. Romans 1 is neither contextually nor theologically suitable for anti-theist or anti-Christian diatribe either.

Good grief man! Have you still not seen that both Narkissos and myself, though approaching this issue from different paths are bent upon trying to get both yourself and Deputy to see the very same point. The problem is that neither of you seem to be able to see either point.

You remind me of a scene from the Truffaut movie, 'Jour De Fete', in which the main character is beleaguered by a fly whilst riding his postal workers bicycle. He then spends three minutes waving his arms and legs around like a windmill hoping that somehow he will hit the target. Unfortunately the postman is a bit of an idiot, though we will not carry the cameo quite that far. ;)

Either Romans 1:20 is correct in suggesting that enough of Gods PERSON can be recognized from 'creation' to provide a basis for condemning to an adverse judgement those who cannot see that PERSON, or that the scripture is badly flawed in principle. What I have been evidencing is that what we see in nature is survival of the fittest by ANY means available. If by acknowledging this fact we see the PERSON of God as deceitful, violent and amoral, then it follows that either God is so expressed, or that Paul had no ethical or indeed theological basis upon which to suggest that it is an issue of judgement.

The only 'inescusable' thing I see here is Paul's logic.

HS

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

It is hard to concentrate with a child crawling on my lap and a wife at the foot of the stairs asking for this that and everything. Sorry

Our posts crossed. I understand the distraction.

Let's face it, your wife and child are far more important than the Apostle Paul's bigotted and egocentric view of life. Where is the misogynistic sod when the mortgage needs paying? ;)

HS

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

H-S,

Mixing up François Truffaut and Jacques Tati is almost inexcusable...

But, as Jacques Derrida once put it (approximately), only the unforgivable is really worth forgiving.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Narkissos,

Mixing up François Truffaut and Jacques Tati is almost inexcusable...

Even more embarrassing as it is one of the most viewed films in my house. I apologize to all Tati fans wherever they may chuckle.

Senior moments are destined to demand humility. If it shines any light on the matter, I managed to spell my own name incorrectly while signing a tax form recently...lol. My wife tells me that my mind is not what it was. I reply, 'Never mind the quality feel the width'.

HS

PS - Believe it or not I met Truffaut at an 'after theatre' party in Paris just before he died in the 80's. He was kind enough not to correct my feeble French and I was kind enough not to inquire as to how he was logistically able to wear so many women on his arm at one time without tripping over feet. "Practice', he would no doubt have intoned.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

real one,

he has a violent, amoral, deceitful personality and gave reasons for this reasoning, you countered by suggesting that I was confusing 'nature' with 'character', using Romans 1:20 to try to prove this.

You say this about God? why?

Groan.......ask Deputy or Burn.

HS

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

Better to stay in the Garden perhaps.

Ignorance is bliss.

BTS

• real one
    real one