Athiest or Agnostic?

by real one 168 Replies latest jw friends

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

Many self-describedatheists are skeptical of all supernatural beings and cite a lack of empirical evidence for the existence of deities. Others argue for atheism on philosophical, social or historical grounds. Although many self-described atheists tend toward secular philosophies such as humanism [5] and naturalism, [6] there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere. [7]

The term atheism originated as a pejorativeepithet applied to any person or belief in conflict with established religion. [8] With the spread of freethought, scientific skepticism, and criticism of religion, the term began to gather a more specific meaning and has been increasingly used as a self-description by atheists.

• Narkissos
  • real one
    real one

Dave says:

Real one, consider the position you're suggesting. No one could say anything about anything until they knew everything about everything. Does that really seem practical to you? Can you honestly say you've learned everything about Islam? About Hinduism? About anything other than your own religion?

This is why I don't speak in absolutes

Neither do I. I am not saying you need to know everything im saying we don't know everything. and anyone that says they know everything is a liar. The evidence we speak of is limited to the knowledge of the individual involved.

Since we don't know everything how can we take such positions as athiest or agnostic?

• Homerovah the Almighty
    Homerovah the Almighty

There may not be any evidence of God or of his existence but there certainly is factual evidence of human ignorance as history has revealed, which no one can deny.

Perhaps Realone you should worship the power of knowledge as a God if needed, it really is real

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

>> Since we don't know everything how can we take such positions as athiest or agnostic?

How could we not? If we don't know, then the position "we don't know" seems reasonable. If we know a few things, and they don't seem to support the idea of a god, then "the evidence doesn't support it" makes sense.

How does a lack of information turn into a reason to BELIEVE something?

Dave

• MissingLink
    MissingLink
    realone -- Since we don't know everything how can we take such positions as athiest or agnostic?

I think you're missing the point that atheists/agnostics generally aren't making a stand. We're just aren't going to waste time looking for a god if there isn't any good evidence. The only time it becomes an issue to US is when we are put down by people who insist they have proof that god exists.

dave -- I think OJ was guilty. But he might not have been. I just think it's likely.

I don't think there's a god. There might be, I just don't think it's likely.

If the bible don't fit - you need not submit.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Neither do I. I am not saying you need to know everything im saying we don't know everything. and anyone that says they know everything is a liar. The evidence we speak of is limited to the knowledge of the individual involved.

Since we don't know everything how can we take such positions as athiest or agnostic?

Since we don't know everything how can we take such positions as guilty or innocent? Those are black/white whereas athiest/agnostic is more like white/grey.

O.J. is a great example, AA. Based off what we know/what we don't know vs what actually happened.

• real one
    real one

homerovah says:

There may not be any evidence of God or of his existence but there certainly is factual evidence of human ignorance as history has revealed, which no one can deny.

how do you know there is no evidence of God's existence? are you calling yourself ignorant for making such a statement?

• real one
    real one

Dave says:

How does a lack of information turn into a reason to BELIEVE something?

I believe with the info I have but there is so much more for me to learn.

• Gopher
    Gopher

Real One, as you know I am atheist. I just want to use an example here.

Let me ask you -- do you believe in Shiva and the other gods of Hinduism? If not, why not? Is it because you think there's not enough evidence for such gods? Hundreds of millions of modern people do worship such gods.

I don't want to get into an argument about "true" and "false" gods here. The topic is belief in god/gods.

So for the same reason you don't believe in the gods of Hinduism, I don't believe in the God of Christianity (or any other god either). In fact, Real One, you yourself are atheist or agnostic when it comes to the gods of the Hindus (and probably any gods other than the Christian one).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit