What other toys should go in the bin?

by Switch 30 Replies latest jw friends

• Switch
    Switch

The recent post about dolls has me picturing other conversations that parents could be having with with their young, impressionable children.

Here's my own little scene inspired by the June WT.

(Timmy is playing with his toy car)

Dad: What kind of car do you have there, Timmy?

Timmy: It's a super fast red Porsche!

Dad: Wow, it really looks nice. But do you think that would make a sensible car for going out in service?

Timmy: Probably not. It's only got two doors.

Dad: Yes, and it might draw undue attention to yourself.

Timmy: Thanks for your wise council father. Evidently a four door would be more appropriate.

Feel free to post your own scenarios. Perhaps the GB are running out of ideas and need our help.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

From my experience, when I wasn't quite so young:

Father: What's that you're playing?

Me: Deus Ex.

Father: Hmm, it doesn't look too good. Has it got shooting in it?

Me: Yes.

Father: Well you know we don't like you playing games like that. Can you not find something better to play?

Me: But you watch films with shooting in.

• restrangled
    restrangled

When I was little my brothers were not allowed to play with the following: (JW Version)

GI Joes

Army men (you know those big packages of plastic green guys with guns)

No pretend war at all with pointed fingers or anything else. No pretend guns and/or squirt guns.

What they were allowed: Tonka trucks, Hot Wheels, Match Box Cars, and Tinker Toys. Board Games: Candy Land, Mouse Trap, Scrabble, and Monopoly.

We were also allowed: Hula Hoops, super bubble producing items, and bicycles.

Since both my brothers became car and motorcycle enthusiasts, that can now be attributed to their hot wheel/match box car days.....so that should be avoided at all costs.

r.

• momzcrazy
    momzcrazy

Water guns-preparing for war or being in a gang.

momz

• changeling
    changeling

Switch: You should write for the Watchtower. I see a future for you in Bethel.

changeling :)

• TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    TJ - iAmCleared2Land
    What they were allowed: Tonka trucks, Hot Wheels, Match Box Cars, and Tinker Toys. Board Games: Candy Land, Mouse Trap, Scrabble, and Monopoly.

My folks went back and forth on Monopoly... sometimes it was okay, sometimes it wasn't. You know, it taught a "greedy attitude".

And, like momz post, water guns or pistols (Super Soakers, etc.) were not allowed...

• yknot
    yknot

Bryce....Dad can you hang with me?

Bryce... Hey dad look at my awesome architect set. I am going to design the biggest tower ever today! Architects have the best jobs!

Dad...Now Bryce it is good to design things that are of use by Jehovah's people but the biggest tower? Remember Nimrod? Perhaps you should seek things that will not ruin good habits. Beisides an architect spends years in college and with the preaching done and the door closing.....enrolling in college would be a waste of time, just like we talked about you attending prom with that girl. Marriage can wait until the New System...we are so close!

Bryce...Okay....how about this new hunting game I found online, it is so cool! The better your shot the bigger trophy animals you get to hunt, I am almost up to a grizzly bear!

Dad......Bryce what happens to the animal once you shoot it?

Bryce....It gets placed in my online trophy room for everyone to see, so far I am in the top ten for best hunter!

Dad....Bryce what does the Bible say about this? Again Nimrod was described as a 'great hunter' and to what point? When Jehovah's people hunt they only do so for food. Your trophy room seems a bit prideful doesn't it Bryce? Also these trophies can be akinned to the golden calf of Noah's day.

Bryce....umm okay dad

Bryce.... maybe we could go skateboarding?

Dad.....you mean over at the skate park? The one where the kids all have piercings, worldly clothes and listen to loud music?

Bryce.....oh my bad Dad.

Bryce .....what do you suggest we do Dad?

Dad...well first I think we should consider your activities and see if they align with the bountiful food provided by the FDS, then maybe I could assist you with your talk on Thursday night or your FS presentation for Saturday's group . I have some new theocratic software oh and the CO will be visiting this week and he will be accompaning our group for FS.....I would imagine if you made a good impression he would put in a good word on that Bethel application I brought home last Sunday!

Guess the WTS wants JWkids to be like the FLDS kids

.......come to think about it any miniaturized item, toy, decoration or teaching tool can be argued as a ....GRAVEN IMAGE........

Gets me thinking.....doesn't the WTS have a logo?

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

What they were allowed : Tonka trucks, Hot Wheels, Match Box Cars, and Tinker Toys. Board Games : Candy Land, Mouse Trap, Scrabble, and Monopoly.

We were also allowed : Hula Hoops, super bubble producing items, and bicycles.

Monopoly: Teaches greed and taking advantage of one's fellow man.

Candy Land: Portrays unrealistic fantasy life, and this fills a young mind with confusion.

Mouse Trap: Actually, this is beneficial for when the child grows up and volunteers at Assemblies. Gets them used to the Rube Goldberg-ian method of how to do food prep and distribution, parking, and literature distribution. Approved game!

Scrabble: Questionable. Words could be used that are direct confict with The Pure Language (tm).

The Game of Life:Portrays a life without subjection to one's Creator, with no room for True Worship, Field Service, or Personal Study. Emphasizes College and making money. Not Approved!

Hula Hoops: Only to a certain age, then at adolescence, these should not be used. The hip gyrations could be seen as a simulation of sexual intercourse, and this would lead to unwholesome thoughts and acts! See article Re:"Is The Twist a Dance for Christians?"

Bicycles: If young single women or wives have access to bicycles, then this would grant them a measure of independence and the means to travel outside the watchful eyes of Fathers and Husbands. Caution must be excercised.

(Please note:I am not making the last one up. When the bicycle became popular in the latter 19th century, it was frowned upon for women to use them, especially from the pulpit, precisely because it gave too much independence to women! No lie!) http://xroads.virginia.edu/~UG02/hendrick/women.html

• CaptainSchmideo
    CaptainSchmideo

Dad: Remember Nimrod?

Bryce: (Muttering to himself) "Remember? How can I forget? I'm looking at a Grade-A Nimrod right now!"

• restrangled
    restrangled

Who reading here feels like screaming in frustration? The messages taught to children were and probably still are mind boggling.

Looking back we were all taught to walk on broken glass.

r.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit