The letter of changing the book study

by JWRESEARCH 41 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• restrangled
    restrangled

Who does the WTS buy paper from? I think this might be part of the reason (enormous paper price increases):

I thought they were buying from Charmin!

r.

• sinis
    sinis

Maybe cotton fiber paper???

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    GB wants to follow the 1st century example

funny, the 1st century example was home meetings and the bookstudy was the closest to how 1st century christians met together. This is really a move away from their example to a more traditional Church.

• wannaexit
    wannaexit

OK,let me see if I understood...... as of Jan 2009 the book study will be eliminated?????? Is this reliable information?? Where is it coming from????? enquiring minds want to know. wanna

• S3RAPH1M
    S3RAPH1M

The watchtower witnesses follow the orders of man, when they should be more concerned about following directions from Yeshua (Iesous). (Matthew 18:20) ". . .For where there are two or three gathered together in my name, there I am in their midst.. . ." There is nothing wrong in continuing a 'book study' arrangement after the 'adjustment', and reading directly from the Greek Scriptures. The book study arrangement is not compulsory, attendance to the meetings should never be compulsory, as a Christian free in Christ you are free to attend, or not to attend the meetings. In my personal bias, they should do away with the service meeting, and just leave the theocratic ministry school in place, announcements, and local needs.

• jgnat
    jgnat
    No matter what the reason, this seems like a really stupid move for a cult. Give people some extra time to think and they will.

My thoughts exactly. For those of us with spouses "in", we now have at least a four day window where our partners will be less indoctrinated and more likely to listen.

• mouthy
    mouthy

hear stories how one sister walked 30 miles to attend meetings. It's sickening to hear how they use the excuse for high gas prices

I still like the one that said she swam across a crocadile infested river to get to the assembly!

• JWRESEARCH
    JWRESEARCH

Good point JWfacts

The bookstudy is/was close to the 1st century model - home meetings

• THE GLADIATOR
    THE GLADIATOR

'And let us consider one another to incite to love and fine works, not forsaking the gathering of ourselves together, as some have the custom, but encouraging one another, and all the more so as you behold the day drawing near.'

Hebrews 10: 24,25 New World Translation

Do they no longer read their own Bible?

Mind you, It is strange that these words are almost 2000 years old and the end is still drawing near. The people who took them seriously are long dead. So it didn't do them much good.

cineri gloria sera venit
    (Fame to the dead comes too late)

TG

• compound complex
    compound complex

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/139469/1.ashx

"Inspired or Guilted by the One-legged Pioneer Sister?"

Friends: GUILTED or INSPIRED?

One of our dear regular posters mentioned that she knew the same one-legged pioneer sister I had heard tell of throughout my career as a Jehovah's Witness. The tear-jerking accounts of her ten exemplary, theocratic children, all of whom could recite the books of the Bible before they could say Dada, inspired me to teach my own children well, however late in their own adolescence it took them to come up with their own gurgly version of Dada. And she always arrived at the meetings early - to cheer up those less privileged than herself - despite her raging cretin of a husband's burning her clothes and study aids before each and every venture out the door [even when she went on hikes with the kids]. I'm given to understand that a crocodile took her other leg and both her arms on the way to a DC, though that may be an urban legend. I believe it happened in Detroit.

I must stop as I'm getting a bit teary-eyed. What an inspiration to us all! I do not wish to even suggest the possibility of a slightly irregular and negative take on this story of our beloved sister [I never actually met her, but I hear she is quite a looker], but is there the remotest possibility that her story guilted you into pioneering, or any increase in activity, for that matter, YOU whose personal circumstances are doubtless so much more favorable than hers?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit