What is the best way to help BurnTheShips...

by nvrgnbk 137 Replies latest jw friends

• Open mind
    Open mind

snowbird:

This thread is Nvr's spoof of Burn's thread found here:

Thanks Sylvia.

Guess I'll just go back to reading about Britney Spears or the (as yet) unverified Book Study changes.

OM

• Not Feeling It
    Not Feeling It
    As long as Burn doesn't advocate infringing on the freedoms/rights of others, why does he need "help"?

Ditto that. I of the wholly-support-free-choice type. From what I've seen BTS seems to be a bit more Centrist to Libertarian.

FWIW: I fall into the socially liberal and economically conservative grouping.

-Not Burning It

• 5go
    5go

God has a human face. When He heals the sick it is with human hands. When he speaks Truth it is with a human voice. When he suffers for good it is human blood that is shed.

Burn

Exactly my point, no where can that be found in the bible. That would be apologetics your excising, which is a loss of faith in the good book's and by extension god's ability to explain things. So you must add things to the word to explain reality, so you can match your perceived reality and keep your perceived faith in the bible and by extension god.

Funny, it god took 2000 years to be any good at healing through human hands despite his vast knowledge and communication abilities BTW.

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

You don't have to be crazy to be here.....but it helps!

Quirky1

• inkling
    inkling

a little bit late, but wanted to say I love that Zoidberg reference Burn!

[inkling]

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips
    Exactly my point, no where can that be found in the bible.

Matthew 10:20

For it is not ye that speak, but the Spirit of your Father which speaketh in you.

So you must add things to the word to explain reality

I must interpret the word.

Burn

• changeling
    changeling

So now it's the "cuddly club"? Where do I sign up?

And HS, when you need some cuddlin', I'll be there for ya.

changeling :)

• 5go
    5go

"You shall notadd to the word which I command you, nor take from it, that you may keep the commandments of the Lord your God which I command you." Deuteronomy 4:2

"If anyone adds to these things, God will add to him the plagues that are written in this book; and if anyone takes away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part from the Book of Life, from the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book." Revelation 22:18-19
    "Every word of God is pure; He is a shield to those who put their trust in Him. Donotadd to His words, lest He rebuke you, and you be found a liar." Proverbs 30:5-6

Do you still want to put words in your god's mouth. The bible was never open to interpretation. It is just so bad at getting it's point across one is forced to interrupt what is says. Which a divinely inspired book shouldn't have a problem in getting it's point across.

Though a man made holy book would have such a problem do to evolving morality and cultures. Remember having many wives and having sex with under age girls was OK early on in the bible but do to our evolved morality ( thanks mainly to the Romans and Celts ) find those disgusting today.

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Burn,

God has a human face. When He heals the sick it is with human hands. When he speaks Truth it is with a human voice. When he suffers for good it is human blood that is shed.

Just for the sake of argument, let us say that this statement is correct.

When 40,000 women, some as young as ten years of age (yes I know that you have heard this before ;) ) were raped in Bosnia, often by twenty men at a time, where was God. You see, if he has a human face, he must also abide by human sentiment. Any human who watches a crime and does nothing to try to stop it is complicit with that crime, ethically at least.

I sentence God to 40,000 years in jail. I am after all human. ;)

HS

• journey-on
    journey-on

What do you think "living word" means?

I have to believe from personal experience that there are layers to the "word". You have the mundane literal

expression which is the only way some people can take it. As one's spirituality evolves and their ability to

grasp the deeper things strengthens, like a lotus blossom, it begins to open and those that have strived to exercise their

spiritual muscles begin to grasp the deeper meaning. It continues layer after layer, meaning upon meaning,

and the more evolved you become spiritually, the more meaning you are able to absorb. Some give up and

their spiritual muscles atrophy. They blow it off and bluster about as if it is all silly anyway. They don't comprehend

and therefore hide their inability with words of ridicule and humiliation like a bully that covers up his insecurities by pushing others

around so as to look bigger and smarter. They are only capable of seeing and hearing the mundane word and don't strive

to develop eyes that see and ears that hear beyond this.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit