Emotional Reactions to the Loss of the Book Study

by DT 72 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty

The JW's are so distant from their "brothers" and "sisters" that any feelings of regret will go away very quickly.

How many times has a Congregation Book Study done the following?

Enjoyed breakfast at a local restuarant together

Had a picnic together

Attended a ball game together

Attended a movie together

Participated in any event together

• sacolton
    sacolton
    Mary: Therefore, they may want to jump shit before it sinks completely ...

*snicker*

• St-Jacques
    St-Jacques

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the impact this will have on the foreign language groups. In my home town (which had 5 congregations), we had a Spanish language group, but for a long time they could only support a bookstudy group and a service arrangement. It was the bookstudy that eventually enabled them to start their own small Sunday meeting.

Idk if that's how they do it in other cities or countries, but I know that without the bookstudy, our little group never would have survived.

• Akira
    Akira

I am very happy with this new. I still go to the meetings so this means another night free!

• wifekeepsmeinit
    wifekeepsmeinit

Oh yeah, Im really going to miss getting dressed up in a suit and tie to sit on a hard plastic chair in the blistering heat of summer, to read a book.

Seriously, I feel like Jehovah made this change, were all too busy to read a book on Tuesday nights.

The statement about the comraderie and having time to socialize, well I dont think thats entirely true, most people file out as fast as they can, usually within 10 minutes. Weve got lots of time to talk and hang out during other times.

• buffalosrfree
    buffalosrfree

sacolton, you are too funny jump s**t, man that says it all. We don't know what the announcement will be, and quite frankly I could give a crap less. One poster pointed out the the Book Studies don't do anything together other than an occasional treat night, big deal. If they really were your brothers and sisters they would all be participating in something together ( and I don't mean field service), i.e. picnic, fishing, camping, outings something but it just doesn't happen and if it did if would be discouraged. we just have to wait and see what if anything worthwile will be said.

• doofdaddy
    doofdaddy

If you look at the jw org over the last 15 or 20 yrs there has been a marked coming in to the fold with main stream religion. (What attracted me to jws was their radical non conforming attitude. Sorta alternative to the alternative lifestyle))

Easing back on blood, voting, on and off higher education, joining the U.N. tricky tax dodging, buying large tracts of real estate, hassling for "donations" and most imortant, the scaling back of the urgency of armageddon ( I have never had a jw knock on my door in 10yrs. Where have they gone?).

So less meetings means jws are slowly and intentionally, becoming a .....church!

• Mary
    Mary
    Mary: Therefore, they may want to jump shit before it sinks completely ... *snicker*

OMG.....force of habit I guess cause I really did mean to say "ship".

• lancelink
    lancelink

we once had a bs in our house for about three years.

it was tolerable, but getting home from work, cleaning house, putting the good china away, wow the stress we put up with to have a bs
    in our home. And the service overseer who would call and tell us afterwards depending on the season that the heat was too low, or the air was not cold enough drove us to finally call it quits, enough is enough.

The funniest thing was a teenage sister who went to use the bathroom, and during a silent part of the study waiting for answers
    this girl breaks out in song, and she sounded really loud with the echo from the bathroom right next to the study area.
    She MUST have forgotten where she was, man was that a funny night.
    Afterwards some of the younger hot shot, wise guys thought that maybe she was constipated and it finally broke free.

what memories !!!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

I asked my mom (hardcore dub) if she had heard about this and she said "no" but she was quite upset and said that the bookstudy has "always been her favorite."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit