Emotional Reactions to the Loss of the Book Study

by DT 72 Replies latest jw friends

• DT
    DT

I think the loss of the book study will hit some like a death of a friend. It will mark the end of an era. It will forever change the religion of Jehovah's Witnesses and I believe the change is completely irreversible.

Of course, most Witnesses will be delighted by this. Their burden is so heavy that one less meeting will be a relief. The problem is that they are losing one of the few good things that religion had to offer. The book studies had the potential of allowing people to get to know each other and enjoy association in a more relaxed atmosphere. This potential wasn't always realised, but at least the possibility was there. I have been in some congregations where the members weren't very friendly and most people ignored me. The formal meetings were unpleasant, but the bookstudy gave me hope that I might start to fit in with at least a few people.

What are you reactions to this? How do you think the dubs will react when the effects of this change sinks in? How about people who have problems making friends and are never invited anywhere? Do you think they might just give up hope of fitting in? Do you think that some will see this as a sign that the great tribulation isn't coming any time soon or if it does that they will have to face it without the support of a small group of close friends?

• DJK
    DJK

From another thread, I think this is #1.

• sir82
    sir82

I suspect the sequence will be something like this:

1) shock

2) relief (one less meeting night)

3) sadness (hey, what they took away is the one thing we kind of liked)

Another question: how can the Society spin this in line with their near-constant "more urgency than ever before" mantra? The scripture says to meet together "all the more so as you behold the day drawing near". In the span of just over a year, the total weekly meeting time will have been reduced from 4:45 to 3:30, a reduction of 1/3.

"I thought we're supposed to meet together more as the end draws near? Why are we now meeting less? Maybe the end isn't as close as we thought?"

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

The home office is so busy trying to control people they have lost sight of what creates unity. The Book study was the last bastion of social fabric they had.

they didnt get the idea that all that work done at assemblies is what built the PEOPLE that used to make the Society a (misdirected) but worthwhile place... Now they just expect you to sit and be spoonfed. Forget getting to know anyone.

We know most of the old books were a bunch of doctrinal garbage.. but at least you thought they were "deep" and worth the time to read. The new stuff is nothing but "bullet points"... nothing to challenge of debeate in an effort to understand better.

Now they will be a bunch of folks showing up at the same place with no real option to learn anything at all.

The BS was about the only venue for an elder to really "teach"... god forbid, you could work some outside references in a comment or ask a question that could clarify or expand a point. I guess that leads to "apostacy"?

Hill

Control... control ...fear anyone who questions the "truth"

Hill

• BurnTheShips
    BurnTheShips

The home office is so busy trying to control people they have lost sight of what creates unity. The Book study was the last bastion of social fabric they had.

they didnt get the idea that all that work done at assemblies is what built the PEOPLE that used to make the Society a (misdirected) but worthwhile place... Now they just expect you to sit and be spoonfed. Forget getting to know anyone.

We know most of the old books were a bunch of doctrinal garbage.. but at least you thought they were "deep" and worth the time to read. The new stuff is nothing but "bullet points"... nothing to challenge of debeate in an effort to understand better.

Now they will be a bunch of folks showing up at the same place with no real option to learn anything at all.

The BS was about the only venue for an elder to really "teach"... god forbid, you could work some outside references in a comment or ask a question that could clarify or expand a point. I guess that leads to "apostacy"?

Hill

Control... control ...fear anyone who questions the "truth"

Hill

Clearly, the place is turning into a spiritual desert. Mental stimulation-gone. Camaraderie-gone. The satisfaction of volunteerism-dying fast. All thats left is the mind-numbing drone at the meetings. The structure is rotting, it's termites holding hands. Time will tell. Burn

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I agree DT most Witnesses will be very upset about this. Those on this site who say Witnesses will be happy for "another free night" forget what it is like to be a Witness who actually believes in it. It you believe the Witnesses have the truth you don't tend to think in terms of "another free night". I suppose there will be some with children who reckon they can do without the hassle, but others who are liable to be happy about the change are probably on the periphary and not true believers anyway.

• sacolton
    sacolton

It'll be mixed. Some consider the home Book Study as a way to get out of the cold and impersonal Kingdom Hall and socialize with members and look forward to goodies at the end ... with that gone, some will feel "punished" for having this special time taken away. Others will praise having one less meeting during the week. I spoke with my wife about it (she's still active) and she would rather have an evening off. Lump as much "spiritual food" into one meeting and everyone will feel like a glutton.

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

Mixed Feelings.....

No more Goodie night!!

Actually have an evening off!!!

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I've been offline for a few days, so I haven't heard. They're doing away with the book study???

The occasional book study coffee nights were the only thing that made being a JW bearable for a few moments.

W

• BFD
    BFD

When I was a witness a million years ago, the Tuesday night book study was the only meeting I liked to attend. For one, it was within walking distance of my home for two, it was a more intimate setting with really nice people and three, after the book study we usually had snacks and played pool in the sister's home where the book study was. We all took turns bringing the after meeting snacks.

At the time there was as shortage of brothers in our congo so my bookstudy conductor was a sister complete with a home made lace doily on her head.

BFD

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit