Emotional Reactions to the Loss of the Book Study

by DT 72 Replies latest jw friends

• dinah
    dinah

I'm still laughing about the woman with a doily on her head. I can't breathe!!

• sacolton
    sacolton

It's good enough for the Brothers too ...

alt

• hamsterbait
    hamsterbait

They will institute FIELD CIRCUS arrangements for the night you thought was gonna be free.

Territory handed out by the former group study conductor who will now be the local preaching group conductor.

I smell a big rat with this one.

HB

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Do we even know if this is really going to happen? Everyone is treating this as fact. Is it?

• sacolton
  • jam
    jam

It will take a while too sink in .. For those that have left the borg. you remerber how strange it was to miss your first assembly. It,s very hard for the average JW to make changes. They are like robots, what will we do with the time off. Many older ones have been doing this for years, and a major change like this will disrupt their thinking ability. A sad story that happen too me at the book study. I was the reader and we face the frinds, myself and the bookstudy conductor. One of the young women was how can i say this, very suggestive. I was new around my early 20,s..The young lady around 17 or 18. She would sit on the back row and ,well make sure I could see under her dress. This went on for a few meeting. This was her house where we had our meetings ,her mother house.I told the book study conductor, and he in turn resolve the problem. Those was some difficult times in reading.Now I have grown older and relize this young women was reaching out, she was looking for attention. Growing up as a JW is not easy.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

I have a hard time believing this is true.

If so, I think it is sad even though I am inactive and haven't gone in a long time. I do have some pleasant memories of the bookstudies held in various homes over the years. Also, what about the elderly who so love their morning or early afternoon book study and can't make the evening meetings, especially on cold winter nights.

Anewme,

I agree with your post. I remember and appreciate the sacrifice so many people made to open up their homes and the effort made on occasion to be hospitable afterwards by having cake and coffee and conversation.

Doing away with the bookstudy takes away even more from the religion's credibility in my opinion. Why? I remember being taught that the book study was so important because when persecution came and the kingdom halls were 'padlocked by the authorities', it would serve as the place to meet and get our 'instructions'. If this is really so and the bookstudy is to be a thing of the past, well what then of their plans for the great trib??? Or, have they given up on that idea and it is not 'right around the corner'???

Makes you really wonder, huh?

LHG

• Mickey mouse
    Mickey mouse

A lot of the older ones will be really disappointed by this change. The troof is all they have in their life and the meetings are the highlight of the week (as hard as it may be to believe!). Lots of local congs here have afternoon groups for the elderly too.

The importance of the book study arrangement as we approach the end has been stressed more and more over the past few years. Overseers have recently been reminded to update contact lists. I think the r&f will be confused by this apparent 180 turn.

• Mary
    Mary

Whenever the goons at the top make a change that seems to be beneficial to the R&F, I think it's worthwhile to put yourself in their mindset to see what the ulterior motive behind this seemingly 'good gesture' is.

If they are in fact, getting rid of the Tuesday night Bookstudy and putting it in with the TMS, I figure it's probably because of one of the following:

1. Attendance at the Bookstudy is getting worse with the passage of time and no matter how many times they try laying the guilt trip on everyone about how "important" the BS is, attendance is not improving. Therefore, they may want to jump shit before it sinks completely so they're amalgamating that with the Thursday night meeting. In theory, this should improve the Bookstudy meeting attendance, because more of the R&F actually attend the TMS. Since everyone who gets up to leave the meeting inbetween the BS and the TMS, will be made to feel guilty as hell, they're probably banking on the majority of people staying. It's kind of like those who try leaving right after the talk on Sunday----you're made to feel guilty and that's probably their goal here.
    2. Perhaps with all the "doctrinal changes" going on, they're leery of letting "small groups" of people meet. After all, that's what triggered the fiasco in 1980 down at Crooklyn: small groups meeting to discuss doctrinal issues. Since the paranoia of the Governing Body knows no bounds, I can definitely see this being a reason for the change.
    3. Whenever a major 'change' occurs in the Borganization, it's done with the idea that they're preparing the R&F for the Great Tribulation and for when Babylon the Great "turns on religion". We've seen plenty of comments recently whereby they're trying to instill pre-'75 fear and anticipation into everyone and this could just be one more move to make it appear as though The End is "right around the corner."
      puke.gif picture by sam3217
    4. A combination of all of the above.
  • sir82
    sir82
    relize this young women was reaching out,

So that's why they're always encouraging us to "reach out"!

If I'd known that, I would have been recomending it too!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit