I am going to my first meeting at a Kingdom Hall today......

by imissmaine 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Back from my first meeting! WTF! LOL :) Getting some food...then will share my experience!

Hi SFF & IMM !!!! What part did you like best... the reaction to SFF's pants or the LOVE BOMBING or the NOOO LIGHT about "the Generation" ? Pretty crazy stuff, huh? I ate that crap up until I Woke Up one day.
  • searchingforfriends
    searchingforfriends

I actually didn't get much reation to my pants other than a few looks. Although we were outta there as soon as it was over! lol The "sister" behind me did tell me that my shirt was distracting her cause she liked the pattern, she must have been as bored as I was! LOL

• searchingforfriends
    searchingforfriends

Thanks for the clarification Gopher, my question was actually rhetorical. I just don't understand how ppl can change their beliefs on a whim just because the WT told them to. I guess when you're in it it's very subtle, but still strange to me. The other thing I have a problem with, is in the study article it says something like "Jesus was not giving us a mathematical formula for figuring this out" and the conductor made it a point to say that's because we're not supposed to be trying to figure it out. But then how do they explain 1914 or any other date they've come up with so far? Aren't they using mathematical formulas to try and figure this stuff out? And haven't they been doing this throughout their entire history???

Anyway, that's the end of my rant. The hypocrisy of it all just really is very frustrating to me.

Thanks to everyone for all of the welcomes and support.

• imissmaine
    imissmaine

Thank you everyone for your comments and concerns. I should have identified SFF as my girlfriend in my original post so that I did not create extra concern. But, now you know!

Like I mentioned earlier, this was my first visit to a Kingdom Hall. It was actually quite funny because this morning was fairly nice and then as we were heading to the KH it started pouring down rain and we were getting thunder and lightening. The rain came down so hard that the stream behind the KH was getting pretty full and water was streaming down the streets like a small river. It felt like a sign that going to KH was WRONG!

I was seriously frustrated right from the very beginning. The visiting speaker opened up the meeting talking about how 1 out of every 5 children in the world go to bed hungry. This is very sad and true. He went on to speak about "the only true refuge is spiritual". He then started talking about how all the hunger in the world is a "sign". How can there be hunger in modern times? I immediately started thinking that well if they would get off their butts and hand out food instead of literature then they would be giving back and truly helping those who need help. A Watchtower Magazine won't help a starving child. Unless of course it is used to start a fire to cook food.

The speaker left the KH when he finished his talk. Sadly, I was hoping to ask him the following question: If you could help ONE hungry child and you could only give him/her ONE thing, would it be a NWT or food? He kept emphasizing the fact that people only need spiritual refuge to get through life. Sadly, I'm sure he would have chosen to give the child an NWT.

Then there was the new light ! Nothing else really to say about that since it is a hot topic on the boards today. I can at least say I was present for "new light". Oh wait, isn't there new light ever week?

I also found it interesting how during the 2nd half of the meeting it was an open question and answer discussion. Everyone was participating, some more eager than others. I couldn't help but wonder if they all felt like they would score points each time they spoke. Do you need a certain amount of points to reserve your homesite in paradise on earth?

Some of my favorite lines to come out of today's meeting:

• "Outright Demon Attack!"
    • "Worldly Counselors"
    • "Don't rely on resources of the world"
    • "We will become spiritually dull if we don't rely on our own."
    • "Jehovah's only visual organization"

One of the songs said something about licking dust. Sounds yummy!

I was also pleased to see that there were only about 40 people in attendance. The fewer the better! It was so hard for me to keep my mouth shut.

Another thunderstorm is rolling through now and I am apparently seeing a bunch of new light! Take care all! ~IMM

• horrible life
    horrible life
    The ex-JW should be sure and have done sufficient research to be in no doubt.

Research and education is the key. I left abruptly, because of personal reasons, not because I didn't believe it. Each time my life got on an even keel, I knew I needed to go back.

Mouthy, I would think that this is what is up with your friend.

I was very content, not going to meetings, and not going door to door. I hated those things. If I hadn't found this site, I would more than likely be at least going to meetings.

Now, that I am standing on the outside, looking in, OMG!!!!!!!!!!! Are ALL of these people idiots?????? How can they believe this crap????? Come on people, God gave you a brain, USE it. But, I yelled the same thing at the evening news the other day, at the Texas Mormon Cult. Go figure.

• Eyes Open
    Eyes Open

This is why it annoys me when posters respond to questions with a reflex response like "forget it and move on". I understand people have been burned badly, but every situation is different.

All the best you two.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Well folks, so far I would rate this thread as an absolute " 10". Ya gotta admit that at least 2 people have been served well today.

My 2 cents worth.

NMG

• searchingforfriends
    searchingforfriends

And another thing!

The speaker gave an experiance about a schizophrenic sister that said listening to kingdom melody tapes is better than any medicine prescribed by her doctors.... Don't schizophrenics tend to dislike medicine? And is that really the best endorsement for kindom melodies they could get???

There were also 2 sisters in the bathroom talking about how immodest another sisters engagment ring was and how she shouldn't be so flashy..... I had almost forgotten how catty some of these "sisters" can be.

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    There were also 2 sisters in the bathroom talking about how immodest another sisters engagment ring was and how she shouldn't be so flashy

LOL!!! They're just plain jealous!!!

• Frequent_Fader_Miles
    Frequent_Fader_Miles
    The speaker gave an experiance about a schizophrenic sister that said listening to kingdom melody tapes is better than any medicine prescribed by her doctors

She's schizophrenic ... and they believe her? Kingdumb Maladies would only make her more ill. Are they sure of which personality told them that?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit