Earthquake in Indiana?

by mrsjones5 21 Replies latest social current

• troubled mind
    troubled mind

Nope I was sleeping at 4:37 am . but one lady interviewed on the radio said her bed shook this morning more than anytime during her 20 yr. marriage .hahaha

• mrsjones5
    mrsjones5
    Just had an "aftershock" at 11:17... here in Indiana.

Yeah I was taking a shower and hubby ran in to tell me...I didn't feel a thing

• Casper
    Casper
    I didn't feel a thing

Lol.... I got to experience all of that one... My birds tipped me off...

Cas

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

My wife felt the earth move last night here in Chicago, but that was way before
    the earthquake hit down south of us.

Seriously, some people this far away said they felt it, but most did not. I did not.

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb
    Quake resonates across Midwest Columbia residents shaken awake.

By T.J. GREANEY of the Tribune’s staff Published Friday, April 18, 2008

An earthquake centered near Evansville, Ind., was felt in Columbia this morning by residents who reported hearing windows rattle and feeling beds shake forcefully enough to wake them up at about 4:40 a.m.

Source: ESRI; USGS

AP graphic

Charline Brittain, who lives southeast of Columbia near Deer Park, said she has felt two or three earthquakes during her life, but the one this morning was the most severe.

"I heard a ping, ping on the bedroom window that woke me up, and I also felt the bed vibrating, so I touched my husband and said, ‘What’s happening, what’s happening?’ " said Brittain, who hurried to turn on the television hoping to find a news report about the tremor. "This was more than I had experienced before."

Sheryl Clapton, a California native who now lives near West Boulevard and Worley Street, said she instantly recognized the "rocking effect." "It was pretty mild by the time it got here, but it was a definite earthquake," she said.

Clapton’s two dogs were the most spooked. "You know how animals react around lightning? It was similar to that, but they were more intimidated," she said.

Francisco Gomez, a geology professor at the University of Missouri who has studied the New Madrid Seismic Zone in southeast Missouri and other "intraplate" zones that cause mid-continent earthquakes, said the quake was strong, but it doesn’t necessarily mean there are more to come.

"There always is the concern with something like this that there may be the potential for larger earthquakes in the Wabash River Valley," he said of the Indiana-Illinois region. "But there’s also the high probability that this is just a moderate earthquake that happened and now they’ll return to the normal level of activity which is pretty infrequent."

He added: "Does this mean there’s a big one yet to come? Well, not necessarily."

Gomez said intraplate quakes like this and the massive 7.5-magnitude events that struck Missouri in 1811 and 1812, leveling buildings in St. Louis and reportedly causing the Mississippi River to flow backwards, are very "enigmatic." They can’t be easily explained or monitored like California earthquakes, which occur when tectonic plates push against each other.

"Sometimes stress gets concentrated, and it produces an earthquake," Gomez said. "But what causes stress to build? That’s one of the big debates right now."

One theory is that the Earth is still cooling and expanding after the retreat of the continental ice shelf from the last Ice Age.

The epicenter of the earthquake was tiny West Salem, Ill., about 230 miles east of Columbia.

This morning, Gov. Matt Blunt said the Missouri Department of Transportation is inspecting bridges to make sure they are safe. As of 10 a.m., about 1,400 bridge inspections were complete, with no damage found. Completed inspections include all of the nearly 1,000 bridges in the St. Louis area. MoDOT also will examine Missouri River crossings today at Hermann, Jefferson City, Boonville, Rocheport, Miami and Glasgow.

Early reports indicate no damage or injuries occurred in Columbia or surrounding areas. Public Safety Joint Communications received about 20 calls on the earthquake from people simply wanting information. All reports were from Ashland north, director Jim McNabb said. Jefferson City police also reported a number of calls.

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    My wife felt the earth move last night here

You told me more than I need to know!

lol

hope4others

• babygirl75
    babygirl75

It was felt here in the Western part of NC!!!!!

• wunce_wuz
  • stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

I was having sex and the earth moved for me

• Gopher
    Gopher

The end is near! Back to the Kingdom Hall, all you slackers!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit