Anyone else ever do this

by superman 22 Replies latest jw friends

• superman
    superman

I remember how much emphasis the org used to put on studying your publications, and how looking at other peoples books during the meeting was like seeing a lazar show with bright, hot, multicolored, florescent highlighted pages. But I never personally enjoyed studying (even when I was more hardcore in it) So since I used to have “privileges/responsibilities” one of the requirements was to study for all the meetings, so before the meetings I would take a hot yellow and florescent blue marker and quickly just start marking up my books so that it looked like it was studied. Sometimes to look even more “spiritual” I would take a pen and start writing random crap in the margins, even scribble lines so from far away it looked likes cursive. I remember one time after the meeting this older couple (an elder and his wife) who always sat near me said, “How much they really appreciated the detailed effort and time I took preparing for all the meetings”. Anyway, I know I’m not the only one who committed spiritual fraud at the hall, anyone else here ever do anything to that effect (i.e. pad service time, lie about going to meetings while on vacation, make up an experience about a good call in service, make up a fact or statistic to support your comment at a meeting)?

• marmot
    marmot

Yup, although towards the end I went hardcore-zealous in studying and looking up every single scripture, filling the margins with notes, etc.

Problem is it backfired and caused me to lose my faith when it made me realize that it was all a bunch of bloody (literally) fairy tales.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I did listen at assemblies, but to keep from getting bored to death, I would write stuff
    in my notes that had nothing to do with what the speaker was saying. Or if he reminded
    me of something funny, I might draw a cartoon of what he was saying.

You know: a guy walking away from expensive cars and loose women, stuff like that.

• orbison11
    orbison11

arrrrrrgh,,,i was so dissapointed with my (x) hubby not studying mags, let alone reading them or ever speaking to any of us in a spiritual mode..............

that i would underline his watchtower for him,,,after i had studied with the 4 kids the night before,

guess what happened,,yep,,they made him a ministerial servant hahhahhaahhahah

orb

• Hope4Others
    Hope4Others
    “How much they really appreciated the detailed effort and time I took preparing for all the meetings”. Anyway, I know I’m not the only one who committed spiritual fraud at the hall,

No, I think I'm really out done here. Although I do recall this "brother" who did a lot of yellow highlighting, and I mean a lot no words not unhighlighted.

He also printed out a paper with every scripture to each paragraph so he could read it off with out looking it up. Now that was full fledged dedication.

hope4others

• DoomVoyager
    DoomVoyager

I do it 3 times a week. Flip open the Washtowel / Kingdumb Misery / Revelation's Lame Anti-Climax, highlight 2 random sentences on every paragraph, slam it shut 1.5 minutes later, and I'm done! Whoopee!

To be honest, I don't usually even bother for anything except the Washtowel. Sometimes I'll (fraudulently) do Revelation becuase people at the bookstudy are sitting close and can see your book.

• nomoreguilt
    nomoreguilt

Needless to say, but the wacktower was so predictable, I just speed read everything and the yellow highliter was on auto pilot. You have to admit, what was there to actually STUDY?? The same old crap in a differant year. Recycled old news with some new bud lite thrown in. After you have been around that stuff for 40 or more years, what's NEW?? It's a no brainer kids.

NMG

• Quandry
    Quandry

I NEVER lied about field service, or anything else, but I would sometimes use highlighter or quickly underline even if I hadn't studied because, after all, my husband was an ELDER and I certainly could not have someone (gasp) look at my magazine or book and see that I hadn't set the proper example by studying, even if there had been some family emergency or illness preventing it.

Why, I always went to meetings, and took my talks, even if I was ill, and had to take tylenol just to make it through the meeting.

I must stop now, as I am going to make myself gag if I go on.......

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

I never needed to do much in the way of preparation. Once I have been through it for the zillionth time, it is no longer necessary for me to even read it beforehand, except maybe the title so I would know what I was in for. Toward the end, I always "forgot" my copy at home (or "forgot" to pick it up at all).

No, I never marked anything. It was not necessary, since for me the answer always stood out like a sore thumb even without any markings. That way, I would have a clean copy of the Washtowel magazine and the Kingdumb Misery. No one ever apprehended me, since I had a stock argument of my own (that I could pick out the answer without wasting the ink on a highlighter). Good thing I left when I did, since now they would more likely tell me to highlight it anyway to set a good example for those who cannot pick out the answers.

• Undecided
    Undecided

I had to really study them all. I was the WT study conductor and book study conductor since my early twenties. I did that for about 20 years.

Ken P.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit