JW's and Chronic Fatigue Syndrone!

by cornish 54 Replies latest jw friends

• voltaire
    voltaire

DB,

I don't think you're implying anyone is faking their illnesses. The physical symptoms are real. The issue is whether or not they are the result of stress or some other kind of psychological pressure or whether there is a physical component. I think the pressure of believing that you're in a toe-to-toe battle with the devil himself can make a person feel exhausted. "I didn't witness to my co-workers today, they'll probably be dead forever, now." That kind of thinking can be tough on a person.

On the other hand, some studies seem to show that religion(even FALSE religion) can help you live longer. I guess it depends on the person. Knowing God will take care of everything can be good for the body as well.

• Pathofthorns
    Pathofthorns

I believe this is a real illness, but maybe it is often misdiagnosed, or causes of stress giving similar symptoms could be elimated which are not.

I think most JWs with "CFS" are self-diagnosed. Since the Awake article on the subject, JW women claiming to have the illness seemed to come out of the woodwork.

Depression caused by the religion, or the routine itself on top of making a living and family obligations could easily make one tired all the time. The tendancy of members (and elders) to not want to point fingers at the "theocratic routine" makes CFS or other convenient diagnosis easier.

People end up taking medications and seeing doctors, when sometimes they might just have to cut out what really is causing their depression or tiredness- meetings, fieldservice, etc.

Some honest answers easily explain inconsistencies in the "truth", the people, and the doctrine, thus eliminating some of the mental fatigue wasted trying to figure out these things.

I can say that I personally have felt better with every 'theocratic responsibility' or 'privelege' that I gave up, and the more I move away from this cult, the better I feel and the more energy I have.

On the positive side, CFS is one of the best ways to look good and miss meetings. An absolutely brilliant way to fade away.

Path

• nowaytess
    nowaytess

I guess it they would need a syndrome to collect disablity to pioneer.

<A HREF= http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/christianexjehovahswitnesses </A>

• Moxy
    Moxy

this is intersting. i hadnt known this. this leads me to think that a good number of the JW CFS sufferers ARE mis-diagnosing themselves. i guess i have to actually READ that awake, eh?

• Stress: While it is clear that emotional and physical stresses do amplify CFS symptoms, there is no biological evidence to support either as causing CFS.

Tests done on CFS and Depression patients show difference in neurological functioning and body chemistry that exclude a relation of the two.

Although its origins remain unknown, CFS is a very real disease, and requires medical attention.

http://www.increase-your-energy.com/html/cfs.html
    mox
  • ekruks
    ekruks

CFS/ME is not the same as MS.

Viruses such as Epstein-Barr are often highlighted.
    However, these are not to blame by themselves. Often the body is in an incredibly weakened state due to stress, so it doesn't properly recover from the virus. Moreover, there are scientific reports to claim that merely stress can cause such fatigue.

Stress can be caused by the pressure to somehow pay all the bills and submit to the incredible pressure to pioneer. Also, there is the stress of elders ...some are blatantly passive-aggressive tinpot dictators, high on power-trips... and whether meant or not, the micro-managing every aspect of one's life, doing inspections, disciplining in front of others, ..... etc., often for matters that are petty and personal, e.g. a brother struggling to follow the pressure to be an appointed man, but his hair is a millimetre too long, or his car just too nice, or an elder doesn't like his girlfriend, or he plays sports too much, or he was caught not showering everyday (remember a congregation co-ordinator sniffing a brother !?), or he must be a serial killer because, oh no, horror of horrors, he has a neat well-kempt beard (!)

JW life = incredible levels of stress :. the body can't take it, and this is revealed by poor health.

The result is that people are highly-strung. There can be real tension. Seen many Witness sisters with blatant undiagnosed or denied conditions such as PTSD, who perhaps unwittingly take out their condition on others, who in turn suffer stress. Moreover, the circuit overseer will often ignore issues, calling them a personality clash, when it's not the matter of one person being outgoing or another quiet.

In this sense, we find similarity to PTSD, insomnia, nervous breakdowns, burnout, depression, food/chemical intolerances, lupus, overdrinking, overeating, grudges, jealousy, and so forth.
    I have met an incredible number of Witnesses with CFS/ME or other stress-related problems. About a third of the Witnesses I know, while I know few worldly people with such conditions.

Anyone who denies such illnesses exist, doesn't have a clue what they are taking about.
    In general, Jehovah's Witnesseses are incredibly intolerant, rude, and uncaring of those with stress-related illnesses, because the religion so conditions people - the idea is to give every last ounce of energy to Kingdom Service, even if you are struggling.

However, it does seem that many Witnesses claiming to have CFS/ME may actually have depression, which has some similar symptoms - the main difference being that physical or mental exercise usually makes a depressed person feel better, while it usually makes some with CFS/ME feel worse.

Pushing yourself to just work on like normal while having such illnesses is not beneficial. It can result it FMS. However, moderate, light exercise can help to strengthen one. Regular pioneering, full-time work, etc., would not be possible unless you had some very mild form of CFS/ME.

• rebel8
    rebel8

Yes in my cong we had a woman who had to quit pioneering from sensitivity to all chemicals. She was unable to leave her bedroom and anyone coming in had to wash first with natural, unscented soap and change clothes.

There was also one girl who was planning to pioneer the moment she graduated from school, coincidentally the same moment when she was struck with severe CFS.

etc.

I don't mean to discount the possible existence of these diseases.

• ziddina
    ziddina

Marking...

• ekruks
    ekruks

Despite the fact that the stress of being a JW made me ill, I'm getting visits from family and elders who are desperate to get me to another meeting and to do more ministry, etc., as this will make me well. Just going into the Kingdom Hall gives me so many bad memories, and having to listen to the scaremongering and pessism from the platform, while thinking how I seem to be wasting my life.

I really would like to have a family, some kids to bring up, but I'm nearing middle-age and have never even been intimate with a girl, well, never really known any, other than few friendly pioneer sisters, but I can't get into a relationship with a 'sister'; it'd trap me into the faith, be pressure. I don't know anyone outside, and if I left, well, I'd loose all I know - it's lonely enough as it is, though this isn't really want keeps me in.

I so want to just walk out of this nightmare, but I think my family would find it too traumatic, thinking I have been turned over to Satan to die at Armageddon. They've already faced incredible stresses, mostly due to 'persecution' and 'machinations of Satan'. Our 'turning the other cheek' makes us easy targets, and well, that results in trouble. I'm so ill from this, but they'd have me stay, and they blatantly really mean so well in doing so; they so love me. This is so messed-up! I sometimes get suicidal; but when I skip meetings, my health isn't so bad.

It's just brushed off as depression, which is linked to a lack of spiritual activity. They all just think being mentally unwell, I look at spiritual things wrongly, which means they treat me like a fruitcake. I just need to pray and preach more!! It's blatantly obvious what makes me ill; the doctors and nurses keep saying something is giving me incredible stress - I'm just going to let them know.

• Found Sheep
    Found Sheep

Hey all you that picked on FEMALES!!!!!! the WORSE by far Chronic Fatigue Syndrome I've seen is an ELDER in my last hall!!!! made only 1/3 of the meetings!!!!

• ekruks
    ekruks

I'm male - supposedly 2/3ds of sufferers of female, supposedly due to the emotional make-up meaning stress is harder to cope with - but well, I'm male and I have it - anyway, everyone has their limits, emotionally, physically, mentally - and they will break if under enough pressure, like you can kick a car door and it won't dent, but drive a truck into it, and well, it will.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit