Would YOU Remain A JW If You Thought The Watchtower Could Be Reformed?

by minimus 48 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Personally, I don't think the Organization is reformable.

While I was an elder, I tried to be a more moderate voice and as I grew older any harsher attitudes disappaited from within me. As they say, all the good (and smart) elders have left. What remains are either braindead people or zealots who in actuality know nothing about their religion.

A decade or so ago, there was much talk on the internet about how certain ones were working behind the scenes to get the Organization reformed. What we have seen, though, is just the opposite---they've dug their heels even deeper and it seems more of a cult than ever!

• AWAKE&WATCHING
    AWAKE&WATCHING

in my best Mary Catherine Gallagher(Molly Shannon) imitation. "To answer your question I would have to refer to a song by Natalie Ambruglia that contains one of my favorite lines and words that I now live by: 'ILLUSION NEVER CHANGED INTO SOMETHING REAL.'"

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

There was one person that tried to reform it from behind the scenes. And his name is Raymond Franz. They kicked him out of it for doing so.

The way they blew so many promises directly to me (and told me to just meet men), there is no way I was going to stay in.

• undercover
    undercover

The Watchtower religion has been proven to not be the "one, true religion" so even if it was reformed to become more mainstream and tolerant I still wouldn't have anything to do with it.

I agree to a point, that the bOrg can't be totally reformed...but in a way, though, it does constantly reinvent itself by revising its doctrines and using revisionist history. But it can never reinvent itself to be anything that I would ever want to be associated with again.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free

I'll apply the same reasoning to them, as they did when speaking of the Catholic religion when they first came to our home when I was a teenager.

"That which is crooked cannot be made straight."

W

• minimus
    minimus

Every religion has something about it that makes it less than perfect. But when any religion proclaims itself the only truth, it deserves to be critically scrutinized,

• Layla33
    Layla33

I don't believe in organized religion anymore. I believe in philosophies.

• Robdar
    Robdar

When my family was still in, yes. That time is over. There is no way I would ever go back.

• AudeSapere
    AudeSapere

One day I walked out of the hall and because I knew they were on the wrong path. My plan was to return when they corrected their errant ways. 13 years later I found JWD and have now moved on with my life.

There was a time when this could have happened for me but now I promise you - I will never go back.

-Aude.

• Honesty

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit