Thank god for cheese

by greendawn 34 Replies latest jw friends

• asilentone
    asilentone

do not eat too much cheese, I did in the past and I got kidney stone!

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

Stilton for me is the king of cheeses.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Aged mancheco room temperature with a glass of big chewy red and you don't need the paradise hope.

• Sirona
    Sirona

Wensleydale with cranberries

YUM

Sirona

• greendawn
    greendawn

Yes fetta cheese is very nice as long as it is made in the traditional way with just ewe's and goat's milk the one made with cow's milk is useless. Some brands are much better than others. A Brie with a full creamy taste is great in sandwices too.

I've heard of Monterray in Tex-Mex recipes but never tried it or horseradish cheddar (sounds interesting) though we have things like sage or elderberry wine cheddar. I don't use processed cheeses, as usually I go for natural unprocessed food as much as possible. Mimolette is a nice French cheese but I prefer stronger tasting ones like mature cheddar or gruyere.

Surprisingly cheddar does not have a protected designation of origin (PDO) status, except west country farmhouse cheddar, so that anyone in any country can produce and market it under that name, the same with Edam, but other cheeses can only be produced in a specific country or even region or locality within a country eg Roquefort can only be labelled and sold as such if produced in the caves of just one village in the South of France Roquefort-sur-Soulzon or fetta cheese only in (any region of) Greece.

• Dorktacular
    Dorktacular

Gruyere is pretty good. I'm not into sharp cheddar, but I love mild cheddar.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll
    I'm not into sharp cheddar, but I love mild cheddar.

Darktacular------I like mild chedder too.

• bavman
    bavman

I'm from Wisconsin...of course I LOVE cheese! My favorite is going to the cheese factory and getting cheese curds fresh out of the hoppers. Warm and squeeky....mmmmm.

• greendawn
    greendawn

So what is this meaning of the word Jack so often associated with American cheeses? How do Monteray and Monteray Jack differ?

Yes I always thought cheeses (and milk) bring about good relaxation and nice dreams but I don't think they can cause kidney stones even though they contain a lot of Calcium. Rather what causes calcium to come out and form stones in the kidneys is the lack of potassium in the diet due to low consumption of fruit and veg. Also the phosphoric acid in soft drinks eg coke.

I prefer the strong more mature cheddars though their texture becomes crumbly and hard to slice properly. Cathedral City extra mature is the best.

Bavman, is Wisconsin a big cheese producing state?

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

STILTON and PORT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit