Thank god for cheese

by greendawn 34 Replies latest jw friends

• greendawn
    greendawn

One amazing thing is that out of just three kinds of milk the milk of cow, ewe and goat hundreds if not over a thousand different kinds of cheese are made around the world.

Yellow or white, hard or soft, mouldy or not mouldy, strong tasting or bland. Cheddar, gruyere, gouda, maasdamer, parmesan, feta, roquefort, stilton, brie and scores more.

Eating cheese with wine in nice surroundings with friends is one of my favourite earthly activities and what would life be without it? So nutritious and tasty eaten on its own or as part of a dish.

Do you like cheese and what kinds? I suppose in the USA they produce cheese types not found in Europe.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I brie and crackers

• Casper
    Casper

I'm crazy about Feta... love it on spaghetti and pizza. There's so many I haven't gotten to taste yet. I would love to attend a cheese tasting some day, but would really be hard pressed to find anything like that in my area.

Cas

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    I suppose in the USA they produce cheese types not found in Europe.

Europe? HA!

In the US, we produce cheeses not found in NATURE!

Put that on your cracker and munch it!

We produce "American" cheese, "Cheez-Whiz" (which is not cheese mixed with urine), Spray Cheese that emerges from the factory in pressurized cans similar to cans of whipped cream, but smaller.

On the other hand, we have "dry Jack" which is an amusing aged Monteray Jack cheese that is similar to parmesan. Ever try horseradish cheddar?

One of my favorite cheeses - for it's appearance - mimolette. Nice mild semi-hard cheese.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Unless you are an artisanal food yuppie, U.S. cheese is mostly about quantity rather than variety or quality. The biggest sellers are highly processed cheeses such as American (a fake cheddar, also available as a fake Monterey Jack). You can also get a low-quality cheddar spread with some sort of port wine in it.

Still, there are some very respectable American cheeses. One of my favorites is Tillamook jack – not listed in the Wikipedia article – a very young, very soft jack cheese that just about melts in the mouth. It has a wonderful buttery flavor, similar to a young Havarti. Which we can also get here. Yum.

US cheesemakers like to play with Jack cheese: pepper jack, Colby-jack, and I believe I've seen jack cheese with some kind of dried fruit in it.

We did used to have a wonderful Limburger variant called Liederkranz, but various troubles took it off the market.

A number of artisanal cheese makers are getting down with the chevre, but some are taking the gamy goat flavor out of it, because the American palate can't take it. Some kinds are almost indistinguishable from cream cheese – which, incidentally, is wonderful with thinly sliced lox on bagels – an American Jewish delicacy.

gently feral

• wings
    wings

I love it!!! a cheese thread.

In the US, we produce cheeses not found in NATURE!

Yes, and I love these too. Cheese wiz on a trisket with a jalapeno slice....good stuff.

My budget is more about various sharp chedders, tilllamook...etc. But I enjoy harvarti with wine.

• watson
    watson

I have been enjoying "Dubliner" cheese lately. Good stuff.

• Barbie Doll
    Barbie Doll

I like horseradish Cheese.

alt

• watson
    watson

I know several here that appreciate a finely aged "Frumunda."

• Sad emo
    Sad emo

Different cheeses apparently can affect the type of dreams you have too - something to do with the tryptophan content:

http://www.britishcheese.com/news.cfm?page_id=240

(hope the link works - it has a ? in it so you may have to paste into your browser instead)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit