Have we become like those we despise?

by boyzone 57 Replies latest jw experiences

• boyzone
    boyzone

AK Jeff and I have just had a small disagreement on the Charlton Heston thread. Nothing important or serious, but it just struck me that in our exchanges he and BrentR have used a couple of lines of false argumentation to get their point across.

I can't help but think its strange that with all our moaning about the Watchtower and its false argumentation methods, are we prepared to use exactly the same methods when our views are challenged?

I find this a bit disconcerting, especially on here of all places. Have we learnt nothing? Is it really a good idea to raise ourselves above the Watchtower and pat ourselves on the back for escaping only to stoop to their methods when its expedient for us to do so?

hmmm something to watch out for maybe?

what do you think?

• avishai
    avishai

Hmm, perhaps. I'd look at the rafter in your own eye first.

• boyzone
    boyzone

care to elaborate?

• avishai
    avishai

Tomorrow, when I'm more awake. In the meantime, why don't you go through and make double sure you did'nt do the same thing you are accusing others of, OK? Not being a dick, i'm serious.
    Oh, and on a lighter note, welcome to the board boyzone!!

• boyzone
    boyzone

OK, Seriously taking your word for it that your not a dick, I've read through the thread again.

Nope. No rafter in my eye.

If you think that because I could see the similarity with the Witnesses defending of Rutherford and Jeff's defending of Heston is some sort of ad hominem remark then you're wrong.

It was a fair comparison not personally aimed at Jeff but at his line of reasoning.

So have a good nights sleep.

Anyway thats not the point. I'm talking generally and asking is it really a good idea to resort to false argumentation methods on here when we know thats exactly how the WT acts?

I think its something we should guard against. Otherwise whats the point of being able to think independently if we go right back into trying to fool ourselves or others by the same methods? What have we really achieved?

I may be a newbie but I've been a longtime lurker and have been disassociated a year after 21 years a Witness, So I'm not completely green.

Thanks for the welcome, by the way........

• BrentR
    BrentR
    BrentR have used a couple of lines of false argumentation to get their point across.

For someone as new as you are you better better have both barrels loaded before you start making accusations like that bucko!

• BabaYaga
    BabaYaga

First and foremost, BoyZone... welcome!

Secondly, and you DID ask for input, here...

I am first reminded of the old adage, "If you can't say anything good, don't say anything."

Now, believe me when I say that I do not necessarily agree with that adage. Fact is, if you stifle that which is boiling over in you, you will make yourself sick. Which is why I think the more fitting approach is this:

"CHOOSE YOUR BATTLES."

Cheers,
    Baba.

• boyzone
    boyzone

HI Baba

If you can't say anything good, don't say anything.

LOL! Thanks for the reminder and the welcome.

No seriously, I've got lots of good to say. Just because this topic has piqued me doesn't mean I can't see the good!

Its just the days of me turning a blind eye to faults just because certain people don't want to hear them have gone. I had 21 years of that as a JW, why do I have to do the same here? Or is the answer to the OP a resounding YES. Have we really become like those we despise?

Hi BrentR

For someone as new as you are you better better have both barrels loaded before you start making accusations like that bucko!

Oh for Gods sake grow up.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

That stresses the importance of using independent sources and a third party search engine to settle debates. No one is going to be right 100% of the time, and independent sources can help. In fact, using several independent sources will help us to form better opinions.

And, don't be afraid to change an opinion if your current one is proven wrong or you find new information that suggests a new viewpoint. Even science does that all the time.

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

All I would say Boyzone is that we are all biased to some degree about what we think. No one here speaks without some prejudice in one area or another of their lives. what we have to do is to accept this as the normal way of things. As a JW things were differnt and everyone had to toe the line and agree with everyone else on everything. That is not normal.

BrentR
    I don't think it is right to base someones worth on how long they have been here or how many posts they have. To me the most important people on this board are the new ones.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit