Why did Death not stop as soon as the RANSOM was paid?

by jwfacts 42 Replies latest watchtower bible

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow
    Wouldn't it have been more loving on God's part had he brought the end immediately after the destruction of Jerusalem in 70 CE?

No, then we would have missed out on The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, Beethoven, Bach, Chopin, Van Gogh and YOU and me.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

To add to Perry's comment.

As one who believes in the resurrection. I gain much more in the next life than what I have in this one.

Php 1:21 For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.

Romans 5:20 The Law came in so that the transgression would increase; but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more, 21 so that, as sin reigned in death, even so grace would reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

2Co 5:6 Therefore, being always of good courage, and knowing that while we are at home in the body we are absent from the Lord-- 7 for we walk by faith, not by sight-- 8 we are of good courage, I say, and prefer rather to be absent from the body and to be at home with the Lord.

• Rapunzel
    Rapunzel

A poem by Emily Dickinson entitled "Death" -

"Because I could not stop for Death,

He kindly stopped for me;

The carriage held but just ourselves,

and Immortality.

We slowly drove, he knew no haste

And I had put away

My labor, and my leisure too,

For his civility.

We passed the school, where children strove

At recess, in the ring;

We passed the fields of gazing grain

We passed the setting sun.

Or rather be passed us;

The dews grew quivering and chill,

For only gossamer my gown,

My tipet only tulle.

We paused before house that seemed

A swelling of the ground;

The roof was scarcely visible,

The cornice but a mound.

Since then 'tis centuries, and yet each

Feels shorter than the day

I first surmised the horses' heads

Were toward eternity.

• choosing life
    choosing life

I think most people have asked themselves this question. Mainstream Christianity believes the earth is a proving ground for humans. Paul states that a person must die first to receive a resurrection, the resurrection being the life that the ransom price bought.

The jws have created a whole class of people for whom they say the Bible was not written. That makes the ransom look like a failure because they believe some will never die, but receive everlasting life on earth. Then the question arises, why the holdup?

As to the further questions of the permission of suffering for so long and why the earth is used as a proving ground to begin with, I have found no satisfying answers.

• FlyingHighNow
    FlyingHighNow

Human beings came up with the idea that the earth is a proving ground. This proving ground idea is an effective control tool in the hands of leaders, both secular and religious. Scaring people into believing they need to be saved or redeemed allows you to wield much influence and power over them.

The idea that there was a different plan all together for humankind and that it has run amok, doesn't require an exclusive savior. Man made Jesus exclusive. And man decided you have to believe that every single word in the Bible is from God's pen and therefore sacred. Let go and let love. Love is what gets us out of this earthly mess. Death does not cure death.

• choosing life
    choosing life

FHN,

I don't believe the earth is a proving ground. I was just stating what most nominal religions believe, in contrast to the jws. I actually like the beliefs of Universalism, but I still have this nagging question about the allowance of suffering by a loving God. We can't blame it all on man.

• TopHat
    TopHat

((So - Jesus was no better than a magician - or Wizard. His 'miracles' were flawed. Any 'miracles' that Jesus performed were merely parlour acts used to impress the audience. Regards, Jim TX))))..................,,,, WHATEVER you say there Jimbo!

• mkr32208
    mkr32208

It DID! For the three days that jesus paid the ransom nobody died. Then he went and got resurrected and the ransom wasn't paid anymore and everyone started dying again!

Kind of like if I give you a car to pay my wife's debt and then three days later come and steal back the car... Well that negates the trade and my wife owes you again! Same thing! Jesus paid, no death for three days, then he reneged, death came back! See? It's easy as pie.

• moshe
    moshe

Jcanon said:

After the ransom sacrifice was put into place, Adam's children had to be physically born to benefit from it. Because they would be born imperfect, they would end up dying and then needing to be resurrected during Judgment Day. About six thousand years was permitted for Adam's children to be born, likely approximately the number of years needed to populate the earth

An expected response for a JW trained mind. Execpt that modern dna tests show that my Adam was likely a hunter-gatherer who lived 100,000 years ago in Africa. It is too bad that Jewish oral tradition that was written down later has been given the status of "inspired by God".

• jwfacts
    jwfacts
    After the ransom sacrifice was put into place, Adam's children had to be physically born to benefit from it. Because they would be born imperfect, they would end up dying and then needing to be resurrected during Judgment Day. About six thousand years was permitted for Adam's children to be born, likely approximately the number of years needed to populate the earth
    An expected response for a JW trained mind.

Exactly what i thought. JCanon's concept is based not on scripture, but on assuming that we are going live without dieing forever on earth, and that there will therefore have to be a cut number of people. In addition, there is also the assumption that those resurrected to earth will not have children. It is amazing the multitude of different answers to the question, depending on what other viewpoints people have. There is no specific Biblical answer.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit