Off the ripples windless glass
    Black eternal ethereal
    Into which my final, nightward pass
    Consigned in skyward glow
    Last dance my ashes flight festooned
    And spirit delivered back to moon!

• WildHorses
    WildHorses

No funeral for this gal. I've already told my kids. Just cremate me and so away with the ashes.

• R.Crusoe
    R.Crusoe

WH - I agree with your sentiments!

I had another feeling

Of wanting woodland pose,

In death, by oaks

So ivy cloaks

My rotting natures cycle

And having lifes rich fauna

Cast my bodies form

To its next soujourn

In everlasting circles

Till skeleton wrapped ivy stems

Grip fast the last formed evidence

Of my natures passing.

• jaguarbass
    jaguarbass

I'd prefer to be burried. Maybe latter they will dig me up and reanimate me.

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

berylblue:

Cremation is not an eco-friendly way to go
    So now we have to be politically correct even when we're dead? Plss on the environment.

My point was simply that those who care for the planet and the other people on it should consider an option other than cremation. To people so self-absorbed that they would rather do the most destructive thing they can even when it confers no benefit to them that may appear as political correctness but to the rest of us it's just common decency.

• berylblue
    berylblue

To people so self-absorbed that they would rather do the most destructive thing they can even when it confers no benefit to them that may appear as political correctness but to the rest of us it's just common decency. ------------ Derek, I'm hardly self-absorbed. Just because I'm finally voicing my opinions after being a people-pleasing wimp for so long does not mean I'm a bad person. If I want to be cremated, that hardly makes me a self-absorbed person lacking in common decency. I am considerate of others to a fault; I curtail my use of energy NOW in ways others would call crazy - and I'll be damned if I have to put aside the one thing for which I ask in order to save the earth ---- and I'm not convinced that it makes a big difference one way or the other. My question to you is: What do YOU do NOW - while ALIVE - to help out?

• Octarine Prince
    Octarine Prince

Cremation + Memorial Service + Party + Donations to nonprofits

• Quirky1
    Quirky1

JeffT got to post my funeral arrangements first. I deffinately want a Viking funeral, bagpipes and I want those atending to be drinking Guinness.

Quirky1

• funkyderek
    funkyderek

berylblue:

Just because I'm finally voicing my opinions after being a people-pleasing wimp for so long does not mean I'm a bad person.

Agreed, I applaud you for it - as I mentioned in the other thread. Keep voicing them but be prepared to have them challenged.

If I want to be cremated, that hardly makes me a self-absorbed person lacking in common decency.

Of course not. But your "Piss on the environment" comment does potentially nudge you towards that category.

I am considerate of others to a fault; I curtail my use of energy NOW in ways others would call crazy

Good. Keep doing that.

and I'll be damned if I have to put aside the one thing for which I ask in order to save the earth ---- and I'm not convinced that it makes a big difference one way or the other.

There's probably not much you or I can do that will make a big difference. Your switch to energy-saving lightbulbs (for example) won't delay the icecaps melting by a single millisecond - but if we all do what we can, the accumulated difference may matter. But if you do care about the planet and the people who will have to live on it once you are gone (many many years in the future I hope), I'm not sure what advantage cremation could provide for you (who will, after all, be dead) that outweighs the disadvantage of incinerating 100lbs or more of potential fertiliser. Instead of your remains potentially bringing forth new life, they will just add to the destruction.

If you do still feel the need to get cremated, maybe you could leave something in your will for carbon credits to offset the damage.

What do YOU do NOW - while ALIVE - to help out?

Mostly I just live a lower-impact life than most. I walk or cycle most places, or use public transport for longer distances. I don't eat meat, I buy locally and/or organic where possible, I avoid disposable products, I recycle or compost the vast majority of waste I produce, I don't flush after urinating (unless I'm dehydrated!) and I donate to environmental charities (at least occasionally).

And sometimes I go a day or two without showering!

(I may have to purchase smugness credits to offset this post )

• LouBelle
    LouBelle

Honestly it doesn't bother me as I wouldn't know. I would want something that would give those that I leave behind the closure they need to let go. I would preferably like to be cremated - there just aint enough space to go burying people in the ground anymore.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit